ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids man arrested after dead body found in vehicle on I-80 in Poweshiek County

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A Cedar Rapids man was arrested in Poweshiek County Tuesday after two state troopers report they found him parked on the side of Interstate 80 with a dead body in his car.

Jihad Abdul-Malik Gasaway, 23, is charged with one count of abuse of corpse and is being held in the Poweshiek County Jail.

According to a criminal complaint, the state troopers pulled over because they noticed a Silver 2010 Chevrolet Malibu parked on the shoulder of westbound I-80, just past the 188 mile marker, between Grinnell and Malcolm.

Flourish logoA Flourish map

Gasaway was standing outside the car and told the troopers his car had stalled and he needed a jump. Gasaway told the troopers his identity and that he had a gun, which he gave to them. The troopers then looked in the car and saw another man in the front passenger seat of the car, who was “covered in miscellaneous clothing” and was not responding to the troopers, the complaint states.

The patrol officers discovered the man was dead with apparent gunshot wounds, and Gasaway was arrested. The identity of the dead man has not been released.

“The defendant did not notify anyone of the male subject inside the vehicle. The defendant did not call 911 to request medical assistance. The defendant did not advise the troopers on scene that there was someone in a medical emergency in the vehicle or that there was someone deceased in the vehicle. The defendant had covered the body of the male subject with miscellaneous clothing in an attempt to conceal the body,” the complaint states.

• Wow
Reactions: Tenacious E
I mean, if you are going to kill someone and then transport the body, wrap it up and put it in the trunk. If you break down and left the corpse in the passenger seat, at least wait for a short break in the traffic and roll the body down into the ditch. We can all panic a little when disposing of a corpse, but you gotta spend a minute to think these things through.

Well other than the gun in his possession and the dead body with gunshot wounds in his car is there any evidence that this guy was involved? How do we know it wasn’t a rental car? Or maybe the officers planted the body? Sounds fishy
As a bad attorney, I completely approve your questioning. If I were the defense attorney, I'd go with all that :)

Well other than the gun in his possession and the dead body with gunshot wounds in his car is there any evidence that this guy was involved? How do we know it wasn’t a rental car? Or maybe the officers planted the body? Sounds fishy
Damn...another 20 miles west of where he was and we could have had Newton Nathan investigating.

He would have had Jihad do a field sobriety test.

I mean, if you are going to kill someone and then transport the body, wrap it up and put it in the trunk.
Does Iowa have HOV lanes yet? Maybe he was getting greedy and thought he could skate through the HOV 2+.

(Realizing some may have no idea what I’m talking about— this means if you have 2 or more people in the car you can use the HOV/Express Lane for free.)

Does Iowa have HOV lanes yet? Maybe he was getting greedy and thought he could skate through the HOV 2+.

(Realizing some may have no idea what I’m talking about— this means if you have 2 or more people in the car you can use the HOV/Express Lane for free.)
It's Iowa. We have tractor and combine lanes ;)

Reactions: MitchLL
A Cedar Rapids man was arrested in Poweshiek County Tuesday after two state troopers report they found him parked on the side of Interstate 80 with a dead body in his car.

Jihad Abdul-Malik Gasaway, 23, is charged with one count of abuse of corpse and is being held in the Poweshiek County Jail.

According to a criminal complaint, the state troopers pulled over because they noticed a Silver 2010 Chevrolet Malibu parked on the shoulder of westbound I-80, just past the 188 mile marker, between Grinnell and Malcolm.

Flourish logoA Flourish map

Gasaway was standing outside the car and told the troopers his car had stalled and he needed a jump. Gasaway told the troopers his identity and that he had a gun, which he gave to them. The troopers then looked in the car and saw another man in the front passenger seat of the car, who was “covered in miscellaneous clothing” and was not responding to the troopers, the complaint states.

The patrol officers discovered the man was dead with apparent gunshot wounds, and Gasaway was arrested. The identity of the dead man has not been released.

“The defendant did not notify anyone of the male subject inside the vehicle. The defendant did not call 911 to request medical assistance. The defendant did not advise the troopers on scene that there was someone in a medical emergency in the vehicle or that there was someone deceased in the vehicle. The defendant had covered the body of the male subject with miscellaneous clothing in an attempt to conceal the body,” the complaint states.

Holy shit, that is what was going on. I was driving back from Iowa City to DSM Tuesday morning, dialed in around 76 mph, and saw a couple of cops FLYING past me with lights on. A few minutes later there was an electronic road sign saying incident 5 miles ahead, right lane closed. traffic slowed and there was this beater car stopped underneath an overpass with like 15 cop cars surrounding it. I figured it was a drug bust, not a murderer with a corpse in the car.

Nope. I-80 is pretty much 2 lanes all throughout Iowa except when driving through DSM and Iowa City. Even in DSM there are no HOV lanes.

Nope. I-80 is pretty much 2 lanes all throughout Iowa except when driving through DSM and Iowa City. Even in DSM there are no HOV lanes.
Des Moines is getting metered on ramps in 2024. That will go over well.....

Des Moines is getting metered on ramps in 2024. That will go over well.....
I hadn't heard of this. Seems like something that will not actually improve real-world conditions. 99% of the people driving on I 235/35/80 during the time when it would have some utility for new drivers, drive it every f*cking day, and it would have almost utility in real life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT