ADVERTISEMENT

Chevy Malibu RIP

This was my first automobile. Gold, with a black rag top.

It had a 350 cubic inch, 2-barrel carburetor that got 12 miles to the gallon.

Gas was about $0.55/gallon.

I traded it in on a 1978 Smokey-and-the Bandit Trans Am, which got, maybe, a couple of mpg better.

Lots of great memories.

1971-chevrolet-malibu

1978_pontiac_trans_am_01-647x400-740x480.jpg

I traded it in on a 1978 Smokey-and-the Bandit Trans Am, which got, maybe, a couple of mpg better.

Lots of great memories.

1971-chevrolet-malibu

That T/A is worth some big bucks these days

That T/A is worth some big bucks these days
If only I still had it. lol

The damn thing was a lemon.

At that time, warranties were only 12,000 miles, and mine kind of self destructed just after that mileage. The day I drove it off the lot, the A/C ventilation system on the passenger side had the vent just "fall out" of the dash as I accelerated down the street. Although, I didn't realize it at the time, it was a foreboding of things to come.

In mine, just after the 12,000 mile limit, the oil pump went out, the water pump went out, and the worst of all, the drive shaft pully sheared off one day when I was driving down my county road, at a normal cruising speed. I heard a loud "thump", and looking in my rear view mirror, I saw something rolling off into the ditch along the side of the road. I immediately lost my power steering, among many other things, and pulled over to investigate the situation. Raising my hood, I immediately saw many belts unraveled and realized that the pulley driving those belts was no longer there. It was in the ditch.

I immediately got in touch with my dealer as well as Pontiac and explained the situation with them. Pontiac was very sympathetic and they agreed that the car's production was "lacking" and, even though it was "out of warranty", they agreed to a settlement of me paying 1/3, Pontiac paying 1/3, and the dealer paying 1/3 to reinstall the drive shaft pully. Unfortunately after all the repairs were made, the dealer tried to renege on that deal which would have left me with 2/3 of the responsibility. To their credit, Pontiac stepped in and made things right. Shortly after it was repaired, though, my dashboard lights went out so I couldn't read my gauges at night. sigh

I eventually traded the T/A in for a brand new Mazda RX/7 in 1981, which was probably my most favorite automobile I ever owned. It was a joy to drive, that is until 1989 when a motorist ran a red light in Tallahassee and totaled the vehicle out. :( Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I miss you...

pv0_JLSP191-B.jpg

Lots of great memories.

1971-chevrolet-malibu

I like your style.....I had a '72 Malibu with the same 350 2 barrel.....beefed up exhaust so it sounded nice, but wasn't beating anybody off the line.

Mine looked like this (same color, white lettered tires and SS Crager rims but no SS stripes on top, just the solid blue):

Used-1972-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Malibu-SS-Trim-on-Malibu.jpg

Reactions: TheCainer
I like your style.....I had a '72 Malibu with the same 350 2 barrel.....beefed up exhaust so it sounded nice, but wasn't beating anybody off the line.

Mine looked like this (same color, white lettered tires and SS Crager rims but no SS stripes on top, just the solid blue):

Used-1972-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Malibu-SS-Trim-on-Malibu.jpg
Mine was just like I previously showed, but I love your depiction. A beautiful image.

I was a freshman at Purdue and had Cragars on the rear axle and Fentons on the front, parked north of the football stadium. I received a call from the Purdue PD one afternoon asking me to verify whether or not my car had had its rear rims and tires stolen. It was totally new to me.

Upon investigation, I discovered that, yes indeed, my Cragars and tires had been stolen, regardless as to whomever had done it. They had left my vehicle's rear axle resting on a large rock on one side side of the axle, and a masonry block on the opposite end of the axle.

Welcome to Purdue, I guess?

• Sad
Reactions: JustSayOV
Mine was just like I previously showed, but I love your depiction. A beautiful image.

I was a freshman at Purdue and had Cragars on the rear axle and Fentons on the front, parked north of the football stadium. I received a call from the Purdue PD one afternoon asking me to verify whether or not my car had had its rear rims and tires stolen. It was totally new to me.

Upon investigation, I discovered that, yes indeed, my Cragars and tires had been stolen, regardless as to whomever had done it. They had left my vehicle's rear axle resting on a large rock on one side side of the axle, and a masonry block on the opposite end of the axle.

Welcome to Purdue, I guess?

Well that sucks......damn.

Yeah, fricking Purdue anyway.

It was my first car as well. 1967 4 door Chevy Malibu. Looked exactly like this one:

1967_chevrolet_chevelle-malibu_20230824_153144-04548.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT