ADVERTISEMENT

Chili with?

Iowa schools have been serving cinnamon rolls with chili for at least the past 40 years. I’m not sure if it was a thing before the schools did it.

Granted, I only went to Iowa schools for 4 years, but I've only heard it was a thing, I've never seen it. Must be a rural Iowa thing.

We always had bad, dry cornbread with Chili in school.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Chili and cinnamon rolls go together like chocolate milk and garlic. Each is great on it's own, but only someone with demented taste would combine them.

Contrast of sweet and savory; tomatoes and cinnamon.

In Indian/Thai cuisine, for example, peanuts and chilis are often present in the same dish. Lots of ways you can go with chili.

Reactions: DonVito2740
My favorite school lunch when I was a kid (in Iowa) !!

giphy.gif

Contrast of sweet and savory; tomatoes and cinnamon.

In Indian/Thai cuisine, for example, peanuts and chilis are often present in the same dish. Lots of ways you can go with chili.

Nah, I think it was some insane cafeteria worker in the 1930s that needed to get rid of a bunch of stale cinnamon rolls and decided to torture the kids.

Lack of options over the decades convinced people it was a good thing. I mean, small town/farmer types are famous for "You'll eat all of it and like it" attitudes at the dinner table. Some of us had parents with good taste.

• Love
Reactions: West Duval Nole
Nah, I think it was some insane cafeteria worker in the 1930s that needed to get rid of a bunch of stale cinnamon rolls and decided to torture the kids.

Lack of options over the decades convinced people it was a good thing. I mean, small town/farmer types are famous for "You'll eat all of it and like it" attitudes at the dinner table. Some of us had parents with good taste.
This guy is really salty about this. Point out on the plush where the cinnamon roll touched you.

There was a Skyline in Tallahassee while I was in school and they put it over spaghetti... tasted okay but I prefer just crackers, shredded cheddar and maybe a dollop of sour cream.

I ate there quite a bit, it was my first taste of Cincinatti-style chili. Corner of Tennessee & Dewey. There's a McDonalds on the site now.

Reactions: NoleATL
HORT was the first place I heard of cinnamon rolls with chili and I was surprised to learn it was popular in Iowa. The schools I went to served their chili with cornbread usually. They served cinnamon rolls sometimes, but never with chili.

I have used cinnamon in a chili recipe before and liked it.

Chili and cinnamon rolls was a thing in school growing up and is definitely an Iowa tradition. I like chili but don't care for cinnamon rolls at all. My no pic wife has taught me to throw fritos (plain or the chili fritos) into the bowl with chili and shredded cheese and it is really good. I still prefer just crackers.

Reactions: Scott559
Cornbread is much better side. I like to top mine with sharp cheddar, sour cream, jalapenos and hot sauce (my family hates spicy food so I have to add it afterwards). Crackers are fine, but Doritos are even better in it.

Made a big pot last night for tailgate this weekend. Looking forward to the Sunday gas when driving home. I hope one of my kids gags from the smell.

HORT was the first place I heard of cinnamon rolls with chili and I was surprised to learn it was popular in Iowa. The schools I went to served their chili with cornbread usually. They served cinnamon rolls sometimes, but never with chili.

I am getting old - or the 12 pack a day for 30 years has caught up with me... but how the hell does anyone remember what they had for school lunch?

Maybe school lunches in Cedar Falls just were not exciting enough to remember.

I am getting old - or the 12 pack a day for 30 years has caught up with me... but how the hell does anyone remember what they had for school lunch?

Everywhere I lived schools had great lunches. I never went to a school with class sizes bigger than low 20s so maybe the lunch folks could make better food.

Reactions: win4jj
Chili is a great spaghetti topping IMO.

some put sour crème on top of their chili. Never did much for me.

Surely you remember the tater tot casserole, the rectangular pizza, the meatloaf? For some reason school corn tasted really good. Maybe you remember the rolls with butter? In my day a punch on my lunch ticket was 50 cents, in high school we would go through the line twice sometimes. The apple crisp was always a favorite too.

Surely you remember the tater tot casserole, the rectangular pizza, the meatloaf? For some reason school corn tasted really good. Maybe you remember the rolls with butter? In my day a punch on my lunch ticket was 50 cents, in high school we would go through the line twice sometimes. The apple crisp was always a favorite too.

Vague memories of a slimy pizza. In high school I wrestled...so we spent lunch hanging out in the locker room passing around cooking mags.

Reactions: EasyHawk

Most school lunches are turrible so I'm guessing chili and cinnamon roll day was something to look forward to. My mother was one of the lunch ladies at the Catholic school I went to and friends from then will still recall when she would bake fresh rolls every other week or so.

Most school lunches are turrible so I'm guessing chili and cinnamon roll day was something to look forward to. My mother was one of the lunch ladies at the Catholic school I went to and friends from then will still recall when she would bake fresh rolls every other week or so.
They served that combo at a Catholic school? That school should be ex-communicated!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT