ADVERTISEMENT

Chili with?

Chili pairs well with a monte cristo sandwich and some cheesecake.

I have seen chili and cinnamon rolls frequently in my time in NE IA but never outside a school cafeteria. We would sometimes instead get cornbread as a side. I think we got Cinnamon rolls with spaghetti sometimes too.

Bev P and Donna W and co. made such good from-scratch cinnamon rolls at the Mar-Mac elementary lunchroom that I really haven’t enjoyed a cinnamon roll since I was a kid. They were that good—there was a thick layer of caramelized, never burned, sugar on the bottom like I’ve never seen since.

large_f99428d2-6a33-423d-9342-2fae0049e6a2.png

Top with onions, crushed saltines, jalapeños, sour cream and Tabasco.

With a side of Cinnamon rolls or cornbread

Any one of these or any combination of these:

Cheddar cheese
Fritos corn chips aby flavor
Sour cream

I would like to go on record. Beans belong in chili. It's another thing Texans have got wrong.

Things Texans get right: Brisket (albeit not as good as elite Jewish deli pastrami like Katz or Langers), Puffy Tacos, distilling local weeds to make Sotol liquor, Dr. Pepper (but not Big Red), Shiner Beer (esp Bock, Ruby Redbird and Black Lager), Moontower Comedy Festival, Big Bend National Park, Shipley kolaches, Hot Guts Sausage, and South Texas Barbacoa.

Things Texans get wrong: Everything else.

Things Texans get right: Brisket (albeit not as good as elite Jewish deli pastrami like Katz or Langers), Puffy Tacos, distilling local weeds to make Sotol liquor, Dr. Pepper (but not Big Red), Shiner Beer (esp Bock, Ruby Redbird and Black Lager), Moontower Comedy Festival, Big Bend National Park, Shipley kolaches, Hot Guts Sausage, and South Texas Barbacoa.

Things Texans get wrong: Everything else.
Good list, but Dr. Pepper is an abomination. Shiner is very meh to me. And the Christmas beer is straight up trash.

One thing I had never put in a bowl of Chili or on Chili Mac was cheap sliced dill pickles. I never even thought to try it. Then my wife and I stopped at Fred and Red Chili in Joplin Missouri which is one of those old chili diners you really only find in the Midwest, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. And they’ve been serving it on their chili bowls and chili Mac since 1928. I gave it a try….and dam%ed it if it didn’t work! It‘s surprising how well it works in old school diner Chili and chili mac.

always with cinnamon rules from grade school through high school. Still have it with cinnamon rolls occasionally, wife’s family is from Alabama and they like it over rice, which is strange to me.

• Sad
Reactions: West Duval Nole
always with cinnamon rules from grade school through high school. Still have it with cinnamon rolls occasionally, wife’s family is from Alabama and they like it over rice, which is strange to me.
Should add that we’ll be having it with corn bread tonight. I’m more of a club cracker and cheese or totinos chip and cheese guy with mine.

Corn bread is the perfect compliment. Vinegar cole slaw is also perfect with chili. I like to dip a slab of any kind of cheese into a hot bowl of chili, allow it to soften, and pig out.

I just like to make fun of Runza because they are Cornhusker fans' prime rib ;)
Their bierocks aren’t good but the burger is decent. Could pay the same and get a crappy steak at a chain restaurant though.

edit: the homemade ranch is excellent though and I’m not a person that drenches things in ranch like most of the Midwest does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT