ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Would've Been Better As A Hawkeye

PlutoDroid

HR All-State
Aug 16, 2015
Rush heavy offense, doesn't depend on five stars. He had UCLA getting one four star, and the 59th rated class in 2024.

Sounds more like Iowa than Ohio State. Five star receivers don't like run heavy offenses.

When Chip Kelly became famous at Oregon, he had star players everywhere on offense. Just sayin'
Who did he have that went on to do anything in the NFL? I'd argue his scheme made them "stars" in college. Blount was there for one year the year before he was head coach (OC). Mariota was only in his last season, and it's not like he was some special NFL talent. LaMichael James quickly fizzled out of the league.

I agree from a pure schematic point of view. Just doubt that the two giant egos of KF and Chip could have co-existed
Yeah, two head coaches in the room doesnt always go well. Kirk - "Punt team in" Kelly "We got to go for it"

Reactions: HWKEYZ23
Who did he have that went on to do anything in the NFL? I'd argue his scheme made them "stars" in college. Blount was there for one year the year before he was head coach (OC). Mariota was only in his last season, and it's not like he was some special NFL talent. LaMichael James quickly fizzled out of the league.
Lack of NFL success isn't really an argument that works with me - the list of great college players who don't work out in the NFL is a long one. Yes Kelly had an excellent system at Oregon that for whatever reason he hasn't been able to replicate since then. Doesn't mean he didn't also have excellent college players there.

Lack of NFL success isn't really an argument that works with me - the list of great college players who don't work out in the NFL is a long one. Yes Kelly had an excellent system at Oregon that for whatever reason he hasn't been able to replicate since then. Doesn't mean he didn't also have excellent college players there.
Of course he has excellent players. You can't have a great team without great players. We're talking about the fine line here between great college player and NFL player. A good scheme can make a great college player look like a great NFL player, when in fact they might just be a great college player. That's what Kelly has done.

I was simply responding to the poster who was seemingly discounting Kelly's success at Oregon because he had "star" players. Any great scheme will have players putting up stats, and some may call them "star" players. It comes down to chicken vs. the egg, but In Kelly's case he's done it pretty much every where he's been. He recently took a guy in Charbonnet who got beat out at Michigan, and made him into a star college RB and 2nd round draft pick.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I would much rather watch Iowa players be “stars” while wearing the Iowa uniform.

I have a lot less interest if/when they reach the NFL.

I would much rather watch Iowa players be “stars” while wearing the Iowa uniform.

I have a lot less interest if/when they reach the NFL.
Well yes, I watch both college and NFL, but as an Iowa fan I care about how they perform while at Iowa. That wasn't the point of my original reply though.

He had some pretty special college talent. Lightning fast and quick.

He had some pretty special college talent. Lightning fast and quick.
Of course he did. I just don't understand what your point was. Any good offense will have to have good players as a bare minimum. Nearly all of the offensive players he coached (All his college QBs, LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner, DeAnthony Thomas, Zach Charbonnet, Lesean McCoy with the Eagles) had the best years of their careers in his system.

Of course he did. I just don't understand what your point was. Any good offense will have to have good players as a bare minimum. Nearly all of the offensive players he coached (All his college QBs, LaMichael James, Kenjon Barner, DeAnthony Thomas, Zach Charbonnet, Lesean McCoy with the Eagles) had the best years of their careers in his system.
I was responding to the OP's comment about a run heavy offense and not having many stars players.

Reactions: pocha444444
I was responding to the OP's comment about a run heavy offense and not having many stars players.
Gotcha. Yeah definitely don't think he could have the same success at Iowa, but I'd like to think he could get the most out of the talent we have with the running game.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Good point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT