ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Tadjo: “I model my game after Bam Adebayo.”

Well maybe damn good defender is a bit of an exaggeration. The arm length is a good point.

But Brock has damn good lateral quickness and he plays damn hard.

I just don't see the size being that big of an issue, myself
Other teams purposely attacked Brock because they knew they could shoot over him, overpower him down low &/or get our bigs in foul trouble due to his inability to keep in front of anyone. Don't confuse activity with success. He's quick enough, just has not shown defensive IQ. An area he can & must improve upon in order to become a more rounded Big10 player.

Other teams purposely attacked Brock because they knew they could shoot over him, overpower him down low &/or get our bigs in foul trouble due to his inability to keep in front of anyone. Don't confuse activity with success. He's quick enough, just has not shown defensive IQ. An area he can & must improve upon in order to become a more rounded Big10 player.
Yeah, you're right about the detail and discipline.

I guess I'm just assuming Brock will figure it out with experience. Because there's no reason to believe Fran will coach him to be sound. The fact that Brock plays hard tells me there's a chance.

I'm just happy to have a true PG with some ability and desire on both ends of the court. There have been very few in the Fran era

I completely agree. If you have one poor defender (either due to size or lack of athleticism) you can cover that up by playing a zone. Can't attack Brock only if you always have a rim protector right behind him.

But Fran has shown a complete inability to either coach zone or bring players in who can play zone together. His defenses as a whole are perennially poor, but his zone defenses are consistently terrible.

I think you've imagined most of this. For the most part he stayed in front of his guy fairly well.

Probably just as well as Perkins and better than the rest of the white guys on the team besides Dix.

I completely agree. If you have one poor defender (either due to size or lack of athleticism) you can cover that up by playian't attack Brock only if you always have a rim protector right behind him.

But Fran has shown a complete inability to either coach zone or bring players in who can play zone together. His defenses as a whole are perennially poor, but his zone defenses are consistently terrible.
I hate zone defense. Good, smart basketball players should be able to play helping man to man defense. Fran played a lot of zone defense when BH was in the lineup. I wonder why.... why why why... he played a lot of freshman & that's the biggest difference at all levels of basketball. Any knucklehead can score/shoot three's. But it's a willingness to put in the effort to play good smart defense without fouling. The most difficult transition from HS to D1/Big 10 is playing hard nose defense.

The analyst who ranked Tadjo a high four star admitted that he ranks players on their potential to be NBA worthy. He also admits that Tadjo’s size & athleticism factor strongly. So, he ranked Tadjo higher than others. I should have capitalized potential.

The analyst who ranked Tadjo a high four star admitted that he ranks players on their potential to be NBA worthy. He also admits that Tadjo’s size & athleticism factor strongly. So, he ranked Tadjo higher than others. I should have capitalized potential.

Yeah, I indirectly challenged him a bit over there by giving my own take on Tadjo's tape and he responded (indirectly) with that explanation in an article.

He has him like Top 65 or so but on tape to me he looks like he will play like a Top 100-150 player initially. His skill level just isn't there although his strength and athleticism are NBA level:

- Ball handling: 4/10 - ok in the open court, very mediocre in the half court - can do the basics, nothing more. When facing up from 15-20 feet mostly just wants to straight line drive to the rim and overpower and outjump you from there. Isn't' going to cross you over, do a euro step or a spin move. Doesn't have a floater. All speed and power. Works good in transition for him, but the half court will be much harder against B10 defenses.

- Passing: 3/10 - not a high IQ player on offense that will make reads when help comes and immediately move the ball to the right spot and with the right type of pass

- Shooting: 3/10 - not much of a face up game, especially outside 16 feet, although working on it. A lot like Cook in that regard. Not floater or mid range off of a pull up.

- Post Moves: 3/10 - very basic moves, and doesn't really have 1 hand finishes where he can separate the ball from shot blockers like a half hook or something. He's going through you or over you basically. Has the basic turn middle, counter drop step but nothing too refined.

- Rebounding: 8/10 - pretty good here, when he gives all out effort to get position first. Athletic kids sometimes don't fight early for optimal position because they just like to out jump people. That does'nt work against Michigan State bigs, for example.

- Blocking: 7/10 - Defensively he sometimes has great blocks and other times you expect him to block and he doesn't even jump, as if he's afraid of the foul or doesn't know the timing. Sometimes he's good in rotation to help and other times seems a bit slow to read where he should be.

I think with 2 years at a college he should get A LOT better in terms of basketball IQ and awareness on both ends. How good his kill gets in the offensive half court will be the big question. Cook never really developed a longer range face up jumper, so if Tadjo doesn't have it yet I'm not optimistic on that part. But his game inside of 15 feet could improve a lot and he should be great on perimeter screen and roll and dump off passes, especially from Brock Harding, and of course dynamite in transition.

Koch grades out the highest on those skills, with Dembele next and then Traore, with Tadjo last. But if you ranked their athleticism it's exactly the opposite order haha. Lots of combos to work with.

Kids who are really athletic when younger aren't forced to develop skills as early on compared to others. But as they get to high school and college they realize they need them and so they just come a little later. This is often why (stereotyping) I think white players are seen more often in the Top 100 as Freshmen but tend to fall out by their Senior year as kids with more athleticism start to catch up in skill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT