ADVERTISEMENT

Christian McCaffrey to Skip Sun Bowl

I don't disagree with his decision but I think this will become the trend for the really good players. If they're not playing in a premier bowl, they're not going to play.

I don't disagree with his decision but I think this will become the trend for the really good players. If they're not playing in a premier bowl, they're not going to play.

I start to wonder if this will a trend for any Bowl for the automatic first round picks. College glory vs. a chance to lose out on millions? Not a tough call.

I don't have a problem with college football players doing this. I would with college basketball players though.

It's surprising this doesn't happen more often and earlier. If you can back to win the national title or heisman - why wouldn't you quit once those were out of reach?

I would not do this but I can understand it. I guess I wonder why he bothered playing a meaningless regular season game if he's not willing to play a meaningless bowl game? And maybe Stanford was still playing for stuff I guess? To lazy to check

I start to wonder if this will a trend for any Bowl for the automatic first round picks. College glory vs. a chance to lose out on millions? Not a tough call.

No. . . if you are willing to sit out a the national championship tourney or a BCS bowl that will hurt your draft stock pretty severely. They will say you have no passion for the game and just want the money.

It remains to be seen if this hurts his draft stock. It could be somewhat dangerous of a move for him in that sense.

For example if I'm an NFL GM, what reason do I have to believe that if it's week 15 and we're out of contention for the playoffs that Christian is going to show up to work and play? Or is he just going to say that the salary for 3 games isn't worth the risk of getting injured when there are no playoffs.

I'm actually curious as to how the GM's are gonna look at this. He might get away with it because it's the Sun bowl. But I guarantee you if it was the Rose Bowl or the national championship tournament there is no freaking way he would get away with it.

No. . . if you are willing to sit out a the national championship tourney or a BCS bowl that will hurt your draft stock pretty severely. They will say you have no passion for the game and just want the money.

It remains to be seen if this hurts his draft stock. It could be somewhat dangerous of a move for him in that sense.

For example if I'm an NFL GM, what reason do I have to believe that if it's week 15 and we're out of contention for the playoffs that Christian is going to show up to work and play? Or is he just going to say that the salary for 3 games isn't worth the risk of getting injured when there are no playoffs.

I'm actually curious as to how the GM's are gonna look at this. He might get away with it because it's the Sun bowl. But I guarantee you if it was the Rose Bowl or the national championship tournament there is no freaking way he would get away with it.
There's a MASSIVE difference between a college kid sitting out to protect his financial future, and a professional sitting out.

Reactions: millah_22
I don't think it will hurt him much, given that he had some injuries earlier in the year and missed some games. This sounds to me like a purely precautionary play....and I think I'd look at it differently if he had been fully healthy all year, put up numbers, was healthy now and just opting not to play.

There's a MASSIVE difference between a college kid sitting out to protect his financial future, and a professional sitting out.

IDK to me this move says that he can quit on his team when it suits him financially at least. If he makes the decision to do that now, what guarantees he won't in the NFL?

IDK to me this move says that he can quit on his team when it suits him financially at least. If he makes the decision to do that now, what guarantees he won't in the NFL?
That's what contracts are for. You're comparing apples and oranges. What will he show in the bowl game he hasn't already shown? Every NFL game is an audition for your next contract, every game matters toward future pay.

Reactions: McLovin32
That's what contracts are for. You're comparing apples and oranges. What will he show in the bowl game he hasn't already shown? Every NFL game is an audition for your next contract, every game matters toward future pay.

This. I think given his injuries earlier in the season, it's fine (especially so if when he has private workouts he has evidence that he played the season at less than 100%). If he makes a habit out of it, though, it'll give him a rep and will hurt his wallet.

The NCAA would be wise to implement a plan that would protect these players (beyond the typical moderate insurance policies). I don't blame them for leaving before the game since if they play it's all risk for the player and reward for the NCAA/University.

I can see why you would do it but if you have ever played competitive sports, it wont sit well with the team or people around the program.

Yeah, next to his name on a bunch of draft boards the words "me first" was just written.

And if you are a star player then I'm sure being out for a few meaningless games won't hurt your future pay too much. Certainly not as much as the possibility of getting hurt in those games.

I don't like it personally. Really seems like you are bringing in a guy who's ok with quitting on his teammates when it suits him.

It also doesn't help him that I think he's a boom or bust pick. He looked great on the college field, but IDK that he's gonna do well in the NFL.

Once again it falls to me to enforce the rules

UCLA%20Stanford%20Football

christian-mccaffrey-535x350.jpg

shirtless-christian-mccaffrey.jpg

Someone please provide a link to these massive and devastating injuries he suffered which forced him to miss one entire game and allowed him to carry the ball over 30x/game throughout most of November.

Absolutely the right choice and we will see more of it. Just ask Jaylon Smith. Even with an insurance policy he cost himself 25+ million dollars.

It is just some simple math and risk vs reward. I'd guess the risk of blowing out an ACL in a football game is better than 1 in 500. A blown ACL takes a player like McCaffery from a possible first round tens of millions of dollar contract to a 4th round or worse draft pick. What is the reward for playing in the game? Making a bowl corporation, some fans and teammates happy. You are a fool if you say you are a man of principle and it is worth it.

And if you are a star player then I'm sure being out for a few meaningless games won't hurt your future pay too much. Certainly not as much as the possibility of getting hurt in those games.

I don't like it personally. Really seems like you are bringing in a guy who's ok with quitting on his teammates when it suits him.

It also doesn't help him that I think he's a boom or bust pick. He looked great on the college field, but IDK that he's gonna do well in the NFL.

Somebody has a slightly inflated sense of their influence.

Absolutely the right choice and we will see more of it. Just ask Jaylon Smith. Even with an insurance policy he cost himself 25+ million dollars.

It is just some simple math and risk vs reward. I'd guess the risk of blowing out an ACL in a football game is better than 1 in 500. A blown ACL takes a player like McCaffery from a possible first round tens of millions of dollar contract to a 4th round or worse draft pick. What is the reward for playing in the game? Making a bowl corporation, some fans and teammates happy. You are a fool if you say you are a man of principle and it is worth it.

McCAffery isn't a 1st round draft pick.

Jalon Smith said he'd play the game again if he got the chance with even knowing the outcome.

I don't blame him for skipping a meaningless exhibition game in order to prepare to make millions. Seems prudent to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT