ADVERTISEMENT

Christian McCaffrey to Skip Sun Bowl

McCAffery isn't a 1st round draft pick.

Time will tell but most mock drafts have him going in the first round. Yes, I know mock drafts are wrong about 100% of the time.

Jalon Smith said he'd play the game again if he got the chance with even knowing the outcome.

It is easy to say that. I wouldn't expect anything different. I bet if he really got the chance of a do over he wouldn't play.

He's not a NFL running back. If I were a GM I'd let another team pay him and his agent.

Probably less than half the teams in the NFL use an NFL running back anymore. If you can catch passes and pick up the blitz, you're much more useful to an NFL team than if you can run through the tackles.

No. . . if you are willing to sit out a the national championship tourney or a BCS bowl that will hurt your draft stock pretty severely. They will say you have no passion for the game and just want the money.

It remains to be seen if this hurts his draft stock. It could be somewhat dangerous of a move for him in that sense.

For example if I'm an NFL GM, what reason do I have to believe that if it's week 15 and we're out of contention for the playoffs that Christian is going to show up to work and play? Or is he just going to say that the salary for 3 games isn't worth the risk of getting injured when there are no playoffs.

I'm actually curious as to how the GM's are gonna look at this. He might get away with it because it's the Sun bowl. But I guarantee you if it was the Rose Bowl or the national championship tournament there is no freaking way he would get away with it.

This will have zero impact on his draft status. NFL personnel were saying that the kid who quit the last few games at Oklahoma would not have his status affected for that, and this is much, much less drastic.

Jalon Smith said he'd play the game again if he got the chance with even knowing the outcome.
I found this quote from Jaylon Smith regarding his injury:

"I would play it again. And I don't just mean that figuratively. Like I truly believe that. It's just not in me to give up, even if it was for the benefit of me. This could be for the benefit of me. I'm becoming a better man."

That is remarkable perspective for someone who is only 21 years old. If I'm an NFL GM or head coach I want guys like that on my team. If I'm a player, that's the kind of guy I want lined up next to me on the field.

Reactions: Chuck C
I have a question though ...

I guess he is simply quitting the football team. Does that mean he is forfeiting his athletic scholarship for the rest of the year? ... along with his access to the training facilities and conditioning coaches at Stanford?

I'd be willing to bet that Ed McCaffrey has enough connections in the NFL to know whether this move will cause any backlash. I doubt they just made this decision on a whim.

I guess he is simply quitting the football team. Does that mean he is forfeiting his athletic scholarship for the rest of the year? ... along with his access to the training facilities and conditioning coaches at Stanford?
Big time players usually train off campus for the combine

Reactions: Titus Andronicus

Don't you suppose he graduated at mid term like Desmond King and several other Hawks.

Yes. This semester is over, and a lot of early draft entries do not enroll in the second semester so they can train. Usually they will sign with an agent, who will front them the money to go to one of the premier training facilities.

Honestly I only see him as a 3rd down back or he gets converted to WR.

giphy.gif

Update on Jaylon Smith - prior to the start of this season he signed a 5-year, $64 million contract extension with $35.5 million guaranteed. And he's now one of Dallas' team captains. He seems to be doing well.

Last edited:

Even if that were the case, that would be a no win situation for Stanford. Instead they let him work out, get the good publicity and their name all over everything, and he still says Stanford was his school on MNF.

Lol just bustin' balls. He was a top ten pick doe...

True, I didn't think they would take him that early and I also didn't think he was worth it. Looked to me to be an RB in a WR body and wouldn't be able to take the pounding. I was wrong about that.

Reactions: cmanole
True, I didn't think they would take him that early and I also didn't think he was worth it. Looked to me to be an RB in a WR body and wouldn't be able to take the pounding. I was wrong about that.

What I can't believe about the draft is how anybody passed on Dalvin Cook. He is a generational type back imo. The fact that he dropped to the second round proves these NFL guys aren't a whole lot better at this than we are...

What I can't believe about the draft is how anybody passed on Dalvin Cook. He is a generational type back imo. The fact that he dropped to the second round proves these NFL guys aren't a whole lot better at this than we are...

I've said before and I'll say it again, you could probably take a hardcore NFL fan off the street and they could probably run a team better than some of the worst run teams in the NFL. Now there are some really well run teams that I don't think they could beat at all. But you look at the crappy management the Browns for example have had over the years and I have a hard time believing you couldn't find people on the street who could do better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT