ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Pulisic to Chelsea for $73 million

Big news.

I am not sure if this is a great move for him. He had a good thing going at BvB.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/01/02/christian-pulisic-transfer-chelsea-borussia-dortmund-usmnt

This article seems to say that he was getting beat out by better players and that's why Dortmund moved him.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/01/0...tian-pulisic-could-backfire-massively-chelsea

A little strange because I had always believed that Pulisic was a star of their team. However Chelsea obviously didn't pay 73 million for him for nothing. And Dortmund wanted to keep Pulisic on loan for the rest of the season.

I just think the pressure and expectations are gonna be there right away for him now and a few more years at BvB would have been a good thing.

I just think the pressure and expectations are gonna be there right away for him now and a few more years at BvB would have been a good thing.

Dortmund is a top club though too. Expectations are there for anyone starting. But given the size of the transfer fee there will likely be more pressure and expectations. His transfer fee was not that of a developmental player, even though he is only 20.

Chelsea may have overpaid, I think a big part of that price tag had more to do with the marketing than what we've seen from him in the past year. While he's still the best American player and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, I think he was stalling out at Dortmund and a change of scenery was necessary.

This probably also puts him out of the reckoning for starts going forward for Dortmund, so he'll probably be itching to play all rounds of the Gold Cup. Historically, teams have been able to make six changes to the roster between the group stage and knockout rounds (US and Mexico have opted for younger and fringe players in the group stage, while bringing more top 11 guys in for the KO round). I'm not sure if they will continue this with the new format, not to mention the fact that it's a somewhat riskier strategy. Besides, it will also be the first matches of consequence for the USMNT in nearly 2 years. The GC would represent the next best opportunity for him to get back on track before the move but at the same time, he's missing the Chelsea camp.

Chelsea may have overpaid, I think a big part of that price tag had more to do with the marketing than what we've seen from him in the past year. While he's still the best American player and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, I think he was stalling out at Dortmund and a change of scenery was necessary.

This probably also puts him out of the reckoning for starts going forward for Dortmund, so he'll probably be itching to play all rounds of the Gold Cup. Historically, teams have been able to make six changes to the roster between the group stage and knockout rounds (US and Mexico have opted for younger and fringe players in the group stage, while bringing more top 11 guys in for the KO round). I'm not sure if they will continue this with the new format, not to mention the fact that it's a somewhat riskier strategy. Besides, it will also be the first matches of consequence for the USMNT in nearly 2 years. The GC would represent the next best opportunity for him to get back on track before the move but at the same time, he's missing the Chelsea camp.

Honestly given the failure of qualifying for the WC I wouldn't be surprised the US brings it's A team to the group stage of the Gold Cup.

There would be a massive meltdown if we got eliminated in the group stage of the Gold Cup, even if we where playing with the C-team.

Honestly given the failure of qualifying for the WC I wouldn't be surprised the US brings it's A team to the group stage of the Gold Cup.

There would be a massive meltdown if we got eliminated in the group stage of the Gold Cup, even if we where playing with the C-team.

Traditionally, the Gold Cups the year following the World Cup have been when every brings their A squads. Especially since this is the first real test for Berhalter, I can't imagine bring anything less than their A squad barring injury.

Big news.

I am not sure if this is a great move for him. He had a good thing going at BvB.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/01/02/christian-pulisic-transfer-chelsea-borussia-dortmund-usmnt

This article seems to say that he was getting beat out by better players and that's why Dortmund moved him.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/01/0...tian-pulisic-could-backfire-massively-chelsea

A little strange because I had always believed that Pulisic was a star of their team. However Chelsea obviously didn't pay 73 million for him for nothing. And Dortmund wanted to keep Pulisic on loan for the rest of the season.

Two big reasons for his inconsistent starts for the club:

1) They are still alive in the Champions League and German Cup. Pulisic has seen much of his time in the CL. That's just natural rotation at a big club.

2) Dortmund is sparing him starting in league games because he is both an asset off the bench and (clearly) a big financial asset. They knew he couldn't be their future with his rising market value, but it also meant that they feel like they can afford to sit him with the squad they have now (and couldn't afford to see him injured and see his valuation drop by millions.)

I'll cheer for Pulisic, but not for Chelsea...

THIS!

Last edited:
Traditionally, the Gold Cups the year following the World Cup have been when every brings their A squads. Especially since this is the first real test for Berhalter, I can't imagine bring anything less than their A squad barring injury.

I have to agree. If he doesn't make it to at the very least the semi-finals of the Gold Cup then his job is already on thin ice with the fans.

I think I like most fans want to have some confidence that our coach isn't going to let a crap show like the 2018 qualifying happen again.

I have to agree. If he doesn't make it to at the very least the semi-finals of the Gold Cup then his job is already on thin ice with the fans.

I think I like most fans want to have some confidence that our coach isn't going to let a crap show like the 2018 qualifying happen again.

When we're playing all the games in the US, the Gold Cup is binary...either we win or we don't. A narrow loss to Mexico might be forgivable depending on who they bring, as it will almost certainly be their best team.

Curious, I know Chelsea is one of the big 3 traditional powers in the EPL but what do you have against Chelsea? I don't follow the EPL too closely.

I'm a Manchester City fan and Chelsea are a threat to City winning the League every year.

If the transfer fee is 73 million, what kind of contract does that mean for Pulisic?

I saw the subject line and thought Chelsea Clinton had gotten a new job. Seriously.

Curious, I know Chelsea is one of the big 3 traditional powers in the EPL but what do you have against Chelsea? I don't follow the EPL too closely.

Russian oligarch owner, a series of jackwad coaches (Mourinho and Conte), a team which uses oil money to buy talent rather than develop it, a series of dead-end moves for Americans (that have stalled their careers with USMNT. Most notably Matt Miazga, after two starts and a sub appearance towards the end of 2016), and glory-hunting, bourgeois fans. That and I root for Fulham, their West London "rivals".

Reactions: irunlikeAcieEarl
If the transfer fee is 73 million, what kind of contract does that mean for Pulisic?

Trying to find that out, but it will likely be a raise for him. His old contract had him at $23,000 per week. Which assuming that he gets 52 weeks a year in pay (I believe soccer players do) that is 1.2M per year.

But that was likely a number he got after he just out of Dortmund's academy. The transfer means a new contract and probably a much higher salary.

Edit:

$72.52 M over 5 years. So that's about 14.5 M per year.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/02/6816...isic-is-most-expensive-u-s-soccer-player-ever

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Russian oligarch owner, a series of jackwad coaches (Mourinho and Conte), a team which uses oil money to buy talent rather than develop it, a series of dead-end moves for Americans (that have stalled their careers with USMNT. Most notably Matt Miazga, after two starts and a sub appearance towards the end of 2016), and glory-hunting, bourgeois fans. That and I root for Fulham, their West London "rivals".

This

I was trying to think of an American comparison but was failing to come up with one.

This

I was trying to think of an American comparison but was failing to come up with one.

The Lakers are the closest equivalent I could come up with: Glamorous town to outsiders, buy most of their big stars from smaller markets, same type of glory hunting, bourgeois fans, powerful owner who is competent at their job. (Abramovic and Jeannie Buss)

Reactions: irunlikeAcieEarl
The Lakers are the closest equivalent I could come up with: Glamorous town to outsiders, buy most of their big stars from smaller markets, same type of glory hunting, bourgeois fans, powerful owner who is competent at their job. (Abramovic and Jeannie Buss)
That's a good one.
Fans there just to be seen.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

Does Fulham have a chance to remain up or do you think they get relegated?

As a Spurs fan, this move is so frustrating, especially since we wanted him to. But 73 million is ridiculous money. But that's what Chelsea does, overpay for talent and then underperform.

I will root for him to do well. I'd love to see him score 3 goals a game, as long as their keeper gives up 4.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
There could be a ton of Americans playing in Scotland. Will be fun to follow

Off to Serie A
I know the clubs are haggling on a transfer fee, but AC Milan got Loftus-Cheek from Chelsea at a good wage for Chelsea. I think there’s an American Pickers style bundling deal going on. Also, Yunus Musah seems headed there too. AC Milan going to stand for “America’s Calcio”?

Reactions: ConvenientParking
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT