ADVERTISEMENT

Cicada apocalypse

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
There are portions of my neighborhood right now where you can't hear a person next to you speaking at a normal volume and the foul stench of piles of rotting carcasses is thick. The fact that several million of these things can emerge in unison every 17 years and then warble in perfect unison in a wavelike manner to maximize volume infers an intelligence far superior to our society today as evidenced by the current state of our politics. It's only a matter of time before they take the next evolutionary step and develop the weapons necessary to eliminate us.

I've said in the past, that every year I hear that there will be a cicada apocalypse, but it never happens.
However, today I was up near Solon in a wooded area, and they might have been as loud as I've ever heard them.

I really hope someone starts another thread about these tomorrow.
116334_1_11visualuploader-45278_wg_720p.gif

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I was assured in another thread that volcanoes will kill us all before they emerge in eastern Iowa. So there's that.

Not a peep in Lincoln Park yet. They must be completing their suburban siege before closing in on the city. Will they even bother with the South and West sides?
It's weird the way it's been selective. Some neighbohoods just a few miles away are more like yours. My neighborhood has had very little soil disruptions over the past 50 years and lots of mature trees. They seem to prefer the areas under and around maple trees. That's where they are loudest and where we're seeing piles of them several inches thick around the base. The sound is even quite pronounced inside the house with the windows closed.

• Wow
Reactions: ThorneStockton
I've said in the past, that every year I hear that there will be a cicada apocalypse, but it never happens.
However, today I was up near Solon in a wooded area, and they might have been as loud as I've ever heard them

The county sheriff lives near Solon and he mentioned the other day that the cicada noise is nearly deafening near his home. I have not even noticed them yet in Iowa City.

The county sheriff lives near Solon and he mentioned the other day that the cicada noise is nearly deafening near his home. I have not even noticed them yet in Iowa City.
I haven’t heard anything in Iowa City like I did near Lake MacBride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT