ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick Appreciation thread

HawkLogic

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2011

3 players most to blame for Kentucky basketball bowing out in March Madness​

Story by Drew Koch • 43m ago

CJ Fredrick​

Finally, you have to look at CJ Fredrick. The transfer from Iowa, who'd been injured in recent weeks, played 20 minutes but only came up with three points on 1-of-3 shooting.

Fredrick was the only other Kentucky basketball player outside of Antonio Reeves capable of consistently knocking down outside jumpers. While the injury may have contributed to his lack of production, if he's on the floor to be a scorer, he needs to shoot the basketball.

3 players most to blame for Kentucky basketball bowing out in March Madness​

Story by Drew Koch • 43m ago

CJ Fredrick​

Finally, you have to look at CJ Fredrick. The transfer from Iowa, who'd been injured in recent weeks, played 20 minutes but only came up with three points on 1-of-3 shooting.

Fredrick was the only other Kentucky basketball player outside of Antonio Reeves capable of consistently knocking down outside jumpers. While the injury may have contributed to his lack of production, if he's on the floor to be a scorer, he needs to shoot the basketball.
The pressure at Kentucky has to be unreal. Unlike Iowa.

CJ's a turd for the way he exited Iowa (he told Fran he would be back and then shortly thereafter he was entering the transfer portal and we all knew where he was heading).

There is plenty of blame to go around in a 6 point loss.

(1) 16 Kentucky turnovers to just 8 for K-State

(2) The 3 wasn't dropping so Coach Cal should have instructed for more 2 point shots. And drive it & get fouled more, where Kentucky was 77% from the line (13-17).

Kentucky shooting:

22-43 (51%) from 2
4-20 (20%) from 3
26-63 (41%) Overall

Here's the full story:

You can’t point the finger at Oscar Tshiebwe for Kentucky basketball’s early exit from March Madness, but there’s plenty of blame to go around.

3 players most to blame for Kentucky basketball’s loss in March Madness.

Antonio Reeves

A big finger will pointed at Kentucky guard Antonio Reeves. The transfer from Illinois State had been UK’s best three-point threat for most of the season, but came up short on Sunday afternoon.

And by short, I mean way short. The Wildcats were 4-of-20 from beyond the arc. Reeves was 1-of-10 from three-point land and 1-of-15 from the field. At some point, if the outside shot isn’t falling, take it to the rack.

Jacob Toppin

I hate to throw blame at Jacob Toppin, because the young man had been playing terrific of late. But Toppin got into foul trouble early and his contributions were lacking.

Toppin is always going to give you 100-percent effort on the defensive side of the ball, but the senior forward was 1-of-7 from the field and fouled out with just two points.

CJ Fredrick

Finally, you have to look at CJ Fredrick. The transfer from Iowa, who’d been injured in recent weeks, played 20 minutes but only came up with three points on 1-of-3 shooting.

Fredrick was the only other Kentucky basketball player outside of Antonio Reeves capable of consistently knocking down outside jumpers. While the injury may have contributed to his lack of production, if he’s on the floor to be a scorer, he needs to shoot the basketball.

Kentucky outrebounded Kansas State by nearly 20, but the 16 turnovers were the Wildcats undoing. Oscar Tshiebwe and Cason Wallace were each responsible for five miscues, but it’s hard to pick on the two players who scored 46 of UK’s 69 points and grabbed 27 of the Cats 41 boards.

Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk
I really feel bad for Kentucky and CJF.................

Wait, so no North Carolina, Kentucky, Duke or Kansas in the Sweet 16?

shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

CJ left the program because Fran was playing him behind a relative that shot around 25% from 2 and lower from 3. No one should blame the dude for leaving. End game, hawks trailing, who’d you rather have in the court? It was rarely C J
Oh come on, this isn't even close to being true. CJ started all 25 games he played and averaged nearly 29 minutes a game as a Freshman and started all 27 games and averaged nearly 25 minutes he played as a Sophomore at Iowa despite multiple foot injuries.

CJ left the program because Fran was playing him behind a relative that shot around 25% from 2 and lower from 3. No one should blame the dude for leaving. End game, hawks trailing, who’d you rather have in the court? It was rarely C J
Lack of playing time and opportunities are not why CJF left Iowa. He started, and he got minutes, which is what you need to be an impact player.

I more year I believe. Question is, does Kentucky want him back?
Good question...there are plenty of Kentucky folks who wish their coach would walk away.....I learned this ;ast Fall while on vacation...I formed a drinking relationship with an old KU basketballer who was quite direct and unambiguous about this.....I was frankly surprised....

CJ redshirted in 2018-19. Redshirt freshman year was 19-20. Covid year was 20-21. He was hurt (not sure if he got a medical redshirt or not) in 21-22. He played this year 22-23. So would he have two years left?!?!? That’s insane.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Good question...there are plenty of Kentucky folks who wish their coach would walk away.....I learned this ;ast Fall while on vacation...I formed a drinking relationship with an old KU basketballer who was quite direct and unambiguous about this.....I was frankly surprised....

Not surprised, as Kentucky fans are a very unforgiving group,.. Calipari has been on thin ice for a couple seasons now, and NIL is leveling the playing field even more.

He started every game he played in and averaged nearly 30 minutes a game when not hurt. How is that playing behind anybody?

Reactions: skydog0784
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT