ADVERTISEMENT

CJB interview

FG86

HB MVP
Feb 24, 2014
I haven't seen any comments about CJB's interview that he is a better option and athlete than JR, although really haven't read thru all threads.

Seems that is questioning the decision to start JR last year. Also didn't seem appropriate to throw JR under the bus like that. He transferred, move up and no need to comment on him.

IDK, I thought his comments were a little over the top.

There was a thread up about this yesterday that had the video. I don't see it anymore. I guess it got taken down?

Originally posted by FG86:
I haven't seen any comments about CJB's interview that he is a better option and athlete than JR, although really haven't read thru all threads.

Seems that is questioning the decision to start JR last year. Also didn't seem appropriate to throw JR under the bus like that. He transferred, move up and no need to comment on him.

Also, I disagree with this. He was asked questions and he answered them. If speaking your mind is over the top, then let's stay over the top.

Originally posted by HawktimusPrime:

Also, I disagree with this. He was asked questions and he answered them. If speaking your mind is over the top, then let's stay over the top.
Agreed. He pointed out that he and Jake were friends and that he wishes him the best. I have no problem with a QB that is confident but not cocky. Seems like a pretty damn good trait for someone who is expected to be a leader for this team.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Agreed. He pointed out that he and Jake were friends and that he wishes him the best. I have no problem with a QB that is confident but not cocky. Seems like a pretty damn good trait for someone who is expected to be a leader for this team.
Yeah, I mean he could be running around acting like one of ISU's players. Basically getting arrested, not going to class, and generally acting a fool.

I am okay with being confident but I felt like saying he is better than Jake and a better athlete just seems a bit much.

I am okay with being confident but I felt like saying he is better than Jake and a better athlete just seems a bit much.
He does in fact have a better arm, quicker release, and is faster and a better runner. GD himself said he would implement more run packages with him at the helm last year. I can tell you, that he's more equipped for a possible pro career than Jake was.

I liked Jake a lot and liked him as a player and a Hawkeye. I do though think that CJB being the better athlete is pretty clear. The only thing Jake had on him from what I can see at this point, is the experience game-wise and practice wise.

Why do you believe he isn't a better athlete?

Sure if JR was asked who is the better QB he'd say himself. As for the athlete part can't really disagree with CJ on that one too.

Thank God he doesn't take the lead from his head coach, and answer questions with the same bland, non-committal, non-answer that he's given for the past ten years. It's fresh to hear somebody say something not canned.

He does in fact have a better arm, quicker release, and is faster and a better runner. GD himself said he would implement more run packages with him at the helm last year. I can tell you, that he's more equipped for a possible pro career than Jake was.

I liked Jake a lot and liked him as a player and a Hawkeye. I do though think that CJB being the better athlete is pretty clear. The only thing Jake had on him from what I can see at this point, is the experience game-wise and practice wise.

Why do you believe he isn't a better athlete?
I never said he wasn't the better athlete. He basically threw Ferentz and his former teammate under the bus.

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:

Sure if JR was asked who is the better QB he'd say himself. As for the athlete part can't really disagree with CJ on that one too.
My guess is JR would have worded it a tad different.

Yes he would have, and the fact that CJB worded everything that he said the way he did has only drawn praise from what I've seen. It's pretty much a universal statement within the Lounge that they liked what he had to say and how he said it.

What is your beef with it. Feel free to speak in specifics if you would.

No problem with those comments. It confirms that CJ knows what every single person in the country, besides Ferentz, Davis, and a handful of minions knew all along that he gave us the best chance to win last year but our coaches have no idea what is going on.

Yes he would have, and the fact that CJB worded everything that he said the way he did has only drawn praise from what I've seen. It's pretty much a universal statement within the Lounge that they liked what he had to say and how he said it.

What is your beef with it. Feel free to speak in specifics if you would.
Since everyone, except 2222 and Ferentz diehards, wanted CJB to start, it doesn't surprise me they think it is all great. Seems a little unFerentz like and given his outspokenness on a WR that left, maybe one reason Ferentz liked JR better and went with him. Doesn't seem like stuff one would normally say in public about one of their former teammates.

As noted above, seems to be throwing Ferentz and JR under the bus. Doesn't matter to me. I think KF can take the next bus out of Iowa City. I am surprised there weren't comments on it, although you said there was yesterday.

Nothing "over the top" with those comments from CJB in that video IMO.

I never said he wasn't the better athlete. He basically threw Ferentz and his former teammate under the bus.
What type of pussified statement is this? Good grief, he merely said he thought he was more athletic. Let the guy have some confidence and speak truth. If my teammate told me he could bench more than me, and he was right, how in the world is that throwing me under the bus?

If you google CJ Beathard interview it comes right up. Its on Hawk Central which is why the link was removed.

I didn't feel there was anything wrong with what he said.

If he exels the morons will flock here to say KF should have started him last year.

if he fails the morons will flock here to say KF has him all bottled up.

I'm just glad I will be in the lounge by the time the season starts and won't have to deal with the trolls.
This post was edited on 4/2 3:20 PM by heat_dawg

Are you mental? What is your agenda here?

he didn't "basically throw them under the bus," he merely offered his opinion in response to a question of which he is certainly entitled to do. what should have have said? "I have no opinion on that" ...to suit the soft sensibilities of anonymous people like you? good grief.

This post was edited on 4/2 3:13 PM by Phenomenally Frantastic

Originally posted by Phenomenally Frantastic:

Are you mental? What is your agenda here?

he didn't "basically throw them under the bus," he merely offered his opinion in response to a question of which he is certainly entitled to do. what should have have said? "I have no opinion on that" ...to suit the soft sensibilities of anonymous people like you? good grief.

This post was edited on 4/2 3:13 PM by Phenomenally Frantastic
I didn't watch the video so am only reading the story. I don't disagree that he is better. But by him saying I am better than JR and a better athlete then why didn't he start last year? Seems like he is subtly saying staff was wrong last year and he should have been the starter.

This post was edited on 4/2 3:25 PM by FG86

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:

What type of pussified statement is this? Good grief, he merely said he thought he was more athletic. Let the guy have some confidence and speak truth. If my teammate told me he could bench more than me, and he was right, how in the world is that throwing me under the bus?
Do teammates routinely say this in public, "In my mind, I felt like I was the better athlete and could do more things," Beathard said Wednesday.

I guess maybe the rumors of a little rift among the team could maybe be true.

Of course, people always think they are better and should be starting but normally it is not said to the media.

Originally posted by heat_dawg:

If you google CJ Beathard interview it comes right up. Its on Hawk Central which is why the link was removed.

I didn't feel there was anything wrong with what he said.

If he exels the morons will flock here to say KF should have started him last year.

if he fails the morons will flock here to say KF has him all bottled up.

I'm just glad I will be in the lounge by the time the season starts and won't have to deal with the trolls.

This post was edited on 4/2 3:20 PM by heat_dawg
This is pretty stupid, even for you or Foley. Is anything stopping you from moving on from the free forum right now to the lounge? If you get that upset by people with differing opinions on a college football message board, it might be time to rethink your life priorities dawg. I know I sure loath my voluntary decision to log on here during the day. I know I can't wait until I'm allowed to stop posting here when I already have access to another message board.

Do teammates routinely say this in public, "In my mind, I felt like I was the better athlete and could do more things," Beathard said Wednesday.

Of course, people always think they are better and should be starting but normally it is not said to the media.
Attacking the character of a Hawkeye player.....not a surprise from you.

What a breath of fresh air to hear an actual human being speak the truth. No wonder some of you are so upset. Get used to it. CJB is no game-managing robot clone of KF like the former QB was. When did it become "over-the-top" to respond honestly to a direct question? This country is so wussified its shocking.

I fervently hope CJB continues to speak his mind and play with aggressive confidence. Don't let KF & Co. squash his spirit. And those who enjoyed the JR show and his KF speak, feel free to wander on over to Ann Arbor.

Iowa football needs a leader. KF has shown he can't handle that task anymore, so thank God for CJ Beathard.

IMO CJB was very candid, respectful, and confident. He also said 'in retrospect he can see now he probably wasn't ready earlier, and things happen for a reason'. That tid bit has been lost in most of the banter in this forum.

I think he's poised for a strong year.

Originally posted by cecilB:
IMO CJB was very candid, respectful, and confident. He also said 'in retrospect he can see now he probably wasn't ready earlier, and things happen for a reason'. That tid bit has been lost in most of the banter in this forum.

I think he's poised for a strong year.
He was talking about his rs freshman year. What do you expect him to say? I was ready and should have been playing but the coaches are idiots? He knows he was the better qb but also knows how to take heat off his coach. The funniest part of all of this is the only reason CJ got a shot in the bowl game is because he met with KF and told him he was leaving if he didn't get a shot.

First, it doesn't mater if it is routine. Second, he's no longer a teammate, but a Wolverine.

Ok, whatever you say. Although, don't you find it curious CJ also said conversations with Ferentz about transferring didn't occur, and the Nashvilke interview with his dad was blown out of proportion. Did you just not want to hear that?

You can presume you know what people think, and assume certain things happened, but when the subject of your comments actually say something in a public forum to believe them rather than believe it is all coordinated spin or conspiracy.

At the end of the day, you maybe right, but you'll never know...all you have are your own fantasies, molded to fit your agenda, and it won't change no matter how loud you squeal or pound away on a keyboard.

Enjoy

Ok, whatever you say. Although, don't you find it curious CJ also said conversations with Ferentz about transferring didn't occur, and the Nashvilke interview with his dad was blown out of proportion. Did you just not want to hear that?

You can presume you know what people think, and assume certain things happened, but when the subject of your comments actually say something in a public forum to believe them rather than believe it is all coordinated spin or conspiracy.

At the end of the day, you maybe right, but you'll never know...all you have are your own fantasies, molded to fit your agenda, and it won't change no matter how loud you squeal or pound away on a keyboard.

Enjoy
Whom are you speaking to here? Is it FG86? If it is, I tell you this caveat with him/her. He/she often makes very snide and passive aggressive posts regarding the entire Iowa program in general. In a way that makes you wonder why.

Sure everyone has their opinion of how things are, but the comments from FG86 often have a sort of degradation to them. Pay attention to his/hers posts and you'll see what I mean. Again, it makes you wonder why........

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Attacking the character of a Hawkeye player.....not a surprise from you.
Hardly. If this is an attack, what do you think of the posts by others, including yourself, actually attacking players, talking about how bad they are, etc.

I guess I don't usually see athletes going public about how they think they are better than a teammate.

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:
What a breath of fresh air to hear an actual human being speak the truth. No wonder some of you are so upset. Get used to it. CJB is no game-managing robot clone of KF like the former QB was. When did it become "over-the-top" to respond honestly to a direct question? This country is so wussified its shocking.

I fervently hope CJB continues to speak his mind and play with aggressive confidence. Don't let KF & Co. squash his spirit. And those who enjoyed the JR show and his KF speak, feel free to wander on over to Ann Arbor.

Iowa football needs a leader. KF has shown he can't handle that task anymore, so thank God for CJ Beathard.
I am all for confidence and leadership. Normally athletes subtly don't call out their coaches or brag about being better than a teammate.

Knowing what we do about KF, CJB speaking out about the WR who quit and telling the media he is better than JR, probably why KF didn't play him last year. This is the kind of things KF isn't thrilled with.

Enjoy
What?

Know what people think? He said he is better than JR and a better athlete. I don't think he thinks that. He said it.

Now you go enjoy pounding away on your keyboard and squealing yourself. Oh yah, you are doing the same thing. You tend to forget you are on a message board, providing your opinion as well. Oops!

The interviewers drilled CJ with questions for 9 minutes about the quarterback position. I thought CJ looked uncomfortable at times but he handled it like a pro. Never said a bad word about anyone. He's an honest, good kid. Said he thought he was better than Jake when asked directly but not at all in a cocky way. Also admitted that during the season he had improvements he had needed to make.

This post was edited on 4/2 8:24 PM by evashevsky58

Originally posted by CoachoftheFuture1:

I am all for confidence and leadership. Normally athletes subtly don't call out their coaches or brag about being better than a teammate.

Knowing what we do about KF, CJB speaking out about the WR who quit and telling the media he is better than JR, probably why KF didn't play him last year. This is the kind of things KF isn't thrilled with.
So you're saying you don't like how this was handled in regards to Kirk?

Originally posted by evashevsky58:
The interviewers drilled CJ with as questions for 9 minutes about the quarterback position. I thought CJ looked uncomfortable at times but he handled it like a pro. Never said a bad word about anyone. He's an honest, good kid. Said he thought he was better than Jake when asked directly but not at all in a cocky way. Also admitted that during the season he had improvements he had needed to make.
Ok, I never saw the video, just read the story.

Enjoy
What?

Know what people think? He said he is better than JR and a better athlete. I don't think he thinks that. He said it.

Now you go enjoy pounding away on your keyboard and squealing yourself. Oh yah, you are doing the same thing. You tend to forget you are on a message board, providing your opinion as well. Oops!
You say he said it, but you don't think he thinks he really is a better athlete? He just said it as you say? Where are you trying to go with this?

Enjoy
What?

You say he said it, but you don't think he thinks he really is a better athlete? He just said it as you say? Where are you trying to go with this?
Yes FG86, do tell us where you are trying to take this conversation.

And are you also hawkeyesports92, who I was responding to, or just confusing yourself?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT