ADVERTISEMENT

Clark turnover to end 1st half

Sort of head scratching blaming this loss because Bluder didn't bring in that one player that a few people think would have turned the tide several months ago. I suppose fans of the other 30 plus teams are blaming there head coach because they lost to USC.

I admittedly wear hawk colored glasses, but I can't fathom how top recruits wouldn't want to come and play for a a groups of fans that supports the wbb program like this. This program is a poweder keg just needing a few more sparks to really blow up

IMO, Affolters 1 on 3 turnover was a bigger play than clarks turnover before half. Had the momentum, got a steal and then instead of picking the ball up she tries to beat 3 girls down the floor and gets picked
Yeah that was so stupid. Constant recklessness has to be a result of lack of discipline. How can they be so absent-minded all the time? It's a constant for this and previous teams. Clark, with her "mental toughness" should be the most alert and aware just from honing her skills, but she's a turnover machine. Working on that one aspect of her game could make her a perfect player.

Iowa lost largely for one reason. They went cold. They got open shots and missed. Clark's shot fizzled and never came back. Hell, she missed 18 shots. Just a few more makes and Iowa is even with them late into the fourth quarter, but they just couldn't make anything. A few missed FTs didn't help.

Reactions: kwik44 and Chuck C
I admittedly wear hawk colored glasses, but I can't fathom how top recruits wouldn't want to come and play for a a groups of fans that supports the wbb program like this. This program is a poweder keg just needing a few more sparks to really blow up
School is too white. That alone stops alot of them.

Reactions: GOHOX69
This loss hurt because of the perception that Iowa can't win nattys. We're beginning to look like the Buffalo Bills of women's basketball. Making it to the NC is awesome. Making it there consecutively is amazing, and I am personally grateful and happy for our girls. But it's outside perceptions that can make the difference. If you're a great player, you want to go to a proven championship winner.

This loss hurt because of the perception that Iowa can't win nattys. We're beginning to look like the Buffalo Bills of women's basketball. Making it to the NC is awesome. Making it there consecutively is amazing, and I am personally grateful and happy for our girls. But it's outside perceptions that can make the difference. If you're a great player, you want to go to a proven championship winner.
No North teams win anything. They arent allowed or simply not food enough. Take your pick

I feel like this moment sealed the game. We had a chance to take a lead into the half with momentum. That moment took the wind out of the sails and the result was coming out the 2nd half really flat, allowing them to build a big lead that was just too much to overcome.
Nope. The game ended when we missed a fast break layup that killed the last run we were making. That player had a great game and she was far from the only person to miss a layup, but that one ended our chances.

But in reality, Iowa lost because they weren't as good as South Carolina. They didn't have an answer for Cardoso and they didn't get enough of the rebounds that were being batted around. SC also had a far deeper bench so even when we got players in foul trouble they had other players to bring in that were just as good. Iowa had to play a perfect game to win and that didn't happen. They played well enough to beat every other team in the country though. Hat's off to South Carolina. Iowa gave it a good shot and still lost.

Reactions: Allaroundfan
This has been discussed countless times, She tried, She can only reach out, Cannot make the players return interest, She also said Iowa wasn’t in the ballpark in regards to NIL. Hardly dropping the ball.
This is so sad, and yet it will never end. Except in the continuing of ruining college sports.

IMO, Affolters 1 on 3 turnover was a bigger play than clarks turnover before half. Had the momentum, got a steal and then instead of picking the ball up she tries to beat 3 girls down the floor and gets picked
Totally agree. Had some momentum, that killed it.

Rebounds Rebounds Rebounds.. 51-29 differential with 18 offensive rebounds!! Iowa just did not have the size or the hops to handle the SC bigs! That simple. Great season but better team won.

The turning point is when Iowa stoped pushing the ball like they did in the first quarter. Not sure if they ran out of gas or what but that was their only hope.

I feel like this moment sealed the game. We had a chance to take a lead into the half with momentum. That moment took the wind out of the sails and the result was coming out the 2nd half really flat, allowing them to build a big lead that was just too much to overcome.
She score 21 points in the first half and was hounded relentlessly. She ran out of gas.

Not a smart take. Sealed the game? Down 3 with 20 minutes to play? Good lord some of you people.

The turning point is when Iowa stoped pushing the ball like they did in the first quarter. Not sure if they ran out of gas or what but that was their only hope.
They ran themselves a bit out of gas and you could see it. They looked real rubber legged in Q2. Not much from the bench in terms of others eating some minutes and giving themselves time to get their legs back underneath them.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Hannah blew a layup, then missed 2 FTs. That was the game. She never got back in the game, rightly or wrongly.

I imagine they could watch film, and see the many what ifs where they easily could have kept it closer or even won. But everyone’s acknowledging SC strength and depth—at this point, not interested in replaying this one and thankful for the memories of what got them there!

I'm not going to argue with you, but 10 points from our bench changes this whole game.

Don't put everything on CC because it's the easy way.
Thats all most of the dumbasses here do. Like she can single handily beat teams like SC. ALL the girls struggled badly with SC's length and depth. ALL of them.

The problem is they don't really have a bench. Affolter was the bench.
This. Thats why when people said that losing Molly was no big deal because Syd was better they got called out for being stupid. Syd has been the ONE consistent bench threat. Any time Kylie touches the ball its a turnover waiting to happen. Thats why she didn't play more. Think the moment is still too big for McCabe. AOG has had moments like her solid play against LSU, but couldn't deal with Cardosa. Meanwhile their 8-10 players looked like juniors out there. Try to remember they blew out most teams by 25-30 points, so their bench played a ton of minutes this year.

In hindsight it would have been a good idea to somehow, some way find a 6'7" girl somewhere in the world and put her on the roster specifically for this game. It's not just that Cardoso got tons of second chance boards and easy layups, it's that she drew attention away from the perimeter and forced us to play too much zone. It's just such a game-breaking height advantage to have to deal with.

This was indeed a big moment.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
Clark is way too lackadaisical sometimes in those situations.
Your going to have bad moments when you play 40 minutes a game. Bad moment at the end of a half that you've played the entire half in is going to happen. If you're going to play that much then fatigue mistakes are going to happen late in quarters.

Clark actually got poked 3 times this game, once from behind from Cardoso and then twice by Raven. It was a bit unusual to see her lose it that many times just trying to bring the ball up. She is a good handler.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT