ADVERTISEMENT

Clean and Crisp Game

Mar 14, 2003
First of all, I admit I was wrong. I predicted Iowa to lose and I said if they won I would fully admit I was wrong on my prediction.

Now with that being said, this was a very clean, crisp, workmanlike effort from Iowa's 1st team. They came out and dominated the LOS from start to finish. They wore down Illinois State and won handily. I don't think Illinois State was scoring on Iowa's 1st team.

Obviously the 2nd team D left something to be desired and Wadley's fumbling issues? C'mon man! I am just glad the reserves got to play. Been a while since we could play them the majority of the 4th Q.

All we can ask for is the OL continues to improve and the DL continues to cause havoc for teams. We need the linebackers to improve as well. Niemann was beat a few times when it was up to him to get an open field tackle. Iowa State is going to BLITZ so I hope the OL is up to the task next week and maybe we see a few new wrinkles as well on offense.

If Wadley hasn't fixed his fumbling problem by now he isn't going to. He is done as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame because he is exciting to watch.

Well, they did what they were supposed to do and looked good doing it. Congrats to the coaches and the team. However, let's see how they do against an FBS team next.

First of all, I admit I was wrong. I predicted Iowa to lose and I said if they won I would fully admit I was wrong on my prediction.

Now with that being said, this was a very clean, crisp, workmanlike effort from Iowa's 1st team. They came out and dominated the LOS from start to finish. They wore down Illinois State and won handily. I don't think Illinois State was scoring on Iowa's 1st team.

Obviously the 2nd team D left something to be desired and Wadley's fumbling issues? C'mon man! I am just glad the reserves got to play. Been a while since we could play them the majority of the 4th Q.

All we can ask for is the OL continues to improve and the DL continues to cause havoc for teams. We need the linebackers to improve as well. Niemann was beat a few times when it was up to him to get an open field tackle. Iowa State is going to BLITZ so I hope the OL is up to the task next week and maybe we see a few new wrinkles as well on offense.

The big thing was that the 2nd team D all got some significant snaps. Really not important that our 2nd team D gave up scores to ISU's first team offense. The PT for guys like Ekakite, Mends, Matt Nelson, Parker Hesse, Snyder, etc. is invaluable. They will all be better the next time they are called on to play during meaningful snaps.

And feel badly for Wadley. Probably has the most natural ability of any back on the roster. Does things you just can't teach. But the fumbling issues are why he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

Yes, I would expect Iowa State to blitz. A lot. And things will not be as easy next week. But Iowa is in a better position to make defenses play with Beathard and backs who can actually do something if given space.

Well, they did what they were supposed to do and looked good doing it. Congrats to the coaches and the team. However, let's see how they do against an FBS team next.

Apart from being on the road this "fbs" team is worse than il st.

Exactly, Bio. Records, rosters, talent, etc., have tended to matter very little in the Iowa-ISU series. In fact, ISU has beaten the Hawks after some of their worst week 1 performances. The Hawks look decidedly better than I expected, but that also means almost nothing where next Saturday's game is concerned. I never have a good feeling about this game, no matter how awful ISU is before or after it.

You never want to read too much into 1 game, Especially the season opener, That said, This years team has a nice vibe/karma to it. I do think the coaching staff is trying to reinvent themselves and put some positive energy back into the program. Again, it's only one game but I like what I see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT