ADVERTISEMENT

Clifford Omoruyi getting more than $2M from Alabama? In this last transfer window, $1M + deals for players w/out starting experience wasn’t uncommon

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Incredible. Pay to play, man....

Games Played:
23: 2020-21 (free covid year), Rutgers
32: 2021-22, Rutgers
34: 2022-23, Rutgers
32: 2023-24, Rutgers
??: 2024-25, Alabama
121 TOTAL
===========

Last edited:
Good for him.

I hate NIL.
Agree with both points.
I don't blame players at all for taking their opportunity to make money. For many of them there aren't going to be big NBA contracts in their futures.
The problem lies with the worthless NCAA, primarily, not getting out in front of this. They've wanted to pretend for decades that the big boys of football and men's basketball were still the classic amateur student-athletes. It wasn't true 40 years ago, but at a much smaller scale. Now, that's been completely blown up. These guys are pros. That should be openly acknowledged. Treat them like employees and then apply employment laws.

Imagine what Owen Freeman would get in the open market.

The numbers are pretty similar:

Clifford Omoruyi

.................GP..Min....Pts..Rebs..Blks..FG%..FT%
2023-24:..32..26.9..10.4.....8.3..2.9....51.2...61.0
Career:...121..26.0..10.3......7.7...1.8...54.9..59.0

Owen Freeman

.................GP..Min....Pts..Rebs..Blks..FG%...FT%
2023-24:..34..22.9..10.6....6.6....1.8....61.4..66.1

And the market is resetting with new highs. Too late this year to get into the portal. But only a matter of time & Iowa players will say wtf am I doing here & go get that bag. Can't blame them one bit. Go get paid Owen.

Shahrukh Khan Money GIF

Good for him. I love NIL. Great to see players finally able to profit like everyone else in college athletics.

The Alabama head coach just signed a new $30M contract but none of you guys started crying and whining and pouting and stomping your feet like you do about players getting a dime.

Good for him. I love NIL. Great to see players finally able to profit like everyone else in college athletics.

The Alabama head coach just signed a new $30M contract but none of you guys started crying and whining and pouting and stomping your feet like you do about players getting a dime.

Pry because we have money to pay coaches but nowhere near enough to pay players.

Unsustainable. College athletics cannot support paying coaches what they pay them nor can it sustain paying players 2 million a year.

Agree with both points.
I don't blame players at all for taking their opportunity to make money. For many of them there aren't going to be big NBA contracts in their futures.
The problem lies with the worthless NCAA, primarily, not getting out in front of this. They've wanted to pretend for decades that the big boys of football and men's basketball were still the classic amateur student-athletes. It wasn't true 40 years ago, but at a much smaller scale. Now, that's been completely blown up. These guys are pros. That should be openly acknowledged. Treat them like employees and then apply employment laws.
Yeah, except the NCAA is really and enforcement agency, kinda like the police. The cops don't make the laws, they just enforce them.

The University Presidents, AD's and the NCAA Board of Governors is where the real blame lies. They seem to have given up trying to corral college sports ... and now they are going to lose them.

Unsustainable. College athletics cannot support paying coaches what they pay them nor can it sustain paying players 2 million a year.
TV contracts are paying these schools big money. Only a matter of time before players get a piece of that pie.

Imagine what Owen Freeman would get in the open market.

The numbers are pretty similar:

Clifford Omoruyi

.................GP..Min....Pts..Rebs..Blks..FG%..FT%
2023-24:..32..26.9..10.4.....8.3..2.9....51.2...61.0
Career:...121..26.0..10.3......7.7...1.8...54.9..59.0

Owen Freeman

.................GP..Min....Pts..Rebs..Blks..FG%...FT%
2023-24:..34..22.9..10.6....6.6....1.8....61.4..66.1
Im sure Freeman is aware as well. If he continues to improve, he won't finish his NCAA career at Iowa.

"Donation" NIL is unsustainable. There a pile of money that is untapped of the HUGE TV and athletic funds....

This kind of news probably decreases motivation for "regular folk" to "donate".

"What's my $100 a month going to do against 2 million?"

I don’t think most people are complaining about players getting paid. They deserve it. I wonder if coaxing salaries won’t take a dive when schools & conferences figure out that money is better spent on players.

To make this all work, the conferences need to come together to agree how to use TV money on players instead of athletic programs. And the players need to unionize. The NCAA is dead.

I don’t think most people are complaining about players getting paid. They deserve it. I wonder if coaxing salaries won’t take a dive when schools & conferences figure out that money is better spent on players.

To make this all work, the conferences need to come together to agree how to use TV money on players instead of athletic programs. And the players need to unionize. The NCAA is dead.
I agree, somehow there will have to be unionization involved to make certain salary cap type rules legal.

But doesn't title 9 prevent the schools from disproportionately paying male athletes? That will be a problem.

If you don't have a good coach you end up having a rec league team. Good coaches mean something and it's more than just X's and O's.

I agree, somehow there will have to be unionization involved to make certain salary cap type rules legal.

But doesn't title 9 prevent the schools from disproportionately paying male athletes? That will be a problem.
I think the argument that is going to be made is that Title 9 is about equal opportunity and says nothing about equal funding/pay. That's why when the football locker rooms get a huge upgrade they don't need to upgrade a women's sport's locker room with the same upgrades legally. They just need to have the same amount of athletic scholarships available for women's sports as there are men's sports.

We'll see if they win in that argument, but that's my ELI5 explanation of it.

Reactions: RocknRollface
None of this is NIL.....it's straight pay-for-play.

NIL was supposed to allow athletes the opportunity to be paid by businesses and other entities for pimping their products/services and to be compensated by things like apparel manufacturers and video game creators for using their name on a jersey and likeness on a video game. I don't think anyone saw anything at all wrong with that and was long overdue for sure.

It's now morphed in warp speed to collectives lobbying boosters, donors, and every other fan to pony up to pay a player to come play at their school, with the school off the hook for paying anything other than what they had paid for in the past. That's not what was signed up for. If schools want their athletes to be compensated for their ability/performance then they need to bite the bullet and sign them up as employees.

Reactions: Ree4
The challenge is that in pro sports, the leagues, not the individual team nor the division (think conference) negotiates the major deals. That's why college athletics is such a free for all. Fixing one piece, i.e. unionizing players won't solve the deal.

TV contracts are paying these schools big money. Only a matter of time before players get a piece of that pie.
As they should, the fans shouldn’t be the ones forking out the money to pay these players. Pay $100 plus for single game tickets to watch players you already bought makes no sense.

Reactions: Ree4
So, not only are there no limits on NIL$ paid, but teams are allowed to tamper with players on other teams, who have not entered the transfer portal? I believe in players sharing some of the huge revenue the large conferences are bringing in, but this unlimited, anything goes system is ridiculous.

not sure why people are surprised that NIL became pay to sign. This is exactly what would happen. remember when the NCAA banned outside jobs? It wasn't because of legit jobs. businesses paid athletes for not working.

doesn't title 9 prevent the schools from disproportionately paying male athletes? That will be a problem.

I have posted this before in another thread but TV revenue sharing is coming (probably next year). It looks like, because of Title IX, that a lot of male & female athletes would get a cut of the $15M-$22M in revenue sharing but the vast majority of the revenue sharing would be directed towards football and men's basketball.

When it comes to female sports, here are some excerpts from the linked article:

But how does Title IX apply in a revenue-sharing model?

That question remains unclear and there is ongoing litigation in Oregon that could, eventually, provide the answer.

In an interview in January, Baker said he believed that Title IX terminology is more “about equal participation” and not “so much about equal amounts.” That would open the door for a school to share more total revenue with men athletes as long as the school offers revenue to an equal number of women athletes.

In his appearance in Washington D.C., Kessler noted that he “hopes” Title IX is applied in any future athlete compensation model.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I'm told he was offered $2 million, but not by Alabama. He got $1.4 million from Alabama.

I have posted this before in another thread but TV revenue sharing is coming (probably next year). It looks like, because of Title IX, that a lot of male & female athletes would get a cut of the $15M-$22M in revenue sharing but the vast majority of the revenue sharing would be directed towards football and men's basketball.

When it comes to female sports, here are some excerpts from the linked article:

But how does Title IX apply in a revenue-sharing model?

That question remains unclear and there is ongoing litigation in Oregon that could, eventually, provide the answer.

In an interview in January, Baker said he believed that Title IX terminology is more “about equal participation” and not “so much about equal amounts.” That would open the door for a school to share more total revenue with men athletes as long as the school offers revenue to an equal number of women athletes.

In his appearance in Washington D.C., Kessler noted that he “hopes” Title IX is applied in any future athlete compensation model.

I hope his prediction is accurate. Otherwise you'll probably just see a bunch of women's sports go away.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I hope his prediction is accurate. Otherwise you'll probably just see a bunch of women's sports go away.

Here's the NCAA's interpretation. But all it takes is some female athletes to hire a law firm & sue. And the NCAA hasn't won a court case lately.

From NCAA.org:

Q: Does Title IX require that equal dollars be spent on men and women's sports?

A: No. The only provision that requires that the same dollars be spent proportional to participation is scholarships. Otherwise, male and female student-athletes must receive equitable "treatment" and "benefits."

How does the blame lie with them when it’s the courts overturning every restriction they try?

The courts are only overturning the restrictions because the NCAA's own members are suing them in court (via their state AG) to remove the restriction. So, yes, the blame stays with the member institutions.

The member institutions could have pushed for player payments when it was obviously necessary. They didn't, because they liked not paying athletes. Then the courts forced them to pay and now everyone is crying and stomping their feet about how NIL works. They could have passed sensible rules in the first place if they wanted to, but the courts forced their hand, and now most of them are crying that congress needs to fix it.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT