ADVERTISEMENT

CNBC- Fidelity: Retirees lost 23% of their savings in 2022

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017

In a year marked by stiff economic headwinds, retirement savers paid the price.
Although the average 401(k) balance rose in the fourth quarter of last year, balances ended 2022 down 23% from a year earlier to $103,900, according to a new report by Fidelity Investments, the nation’s largest provider of 401(k) plans. The financial services firm handles more than 35 million retirement accounts in total.

The average individual retirement account balance also plunged 20% year over year to $104,000 in the fourth quarter of 2022.
“Given all the stresses in the world today, such as natural disasters and geo-political events, Americans continue to confront challenging times in our economy,” Kevin Barry, president of workplace investing at Fidelity, said in a statement Thursday.
Still, the majority of retirement savers continue to contribute, Fidelity found. The average 401(k) contribution rate, including employer and employee contributions, mostly held steady at 13.7%, just below Fidelity’s suggested savings rate of 15%.
And despite the ongoing inflationary pressure straining most households, only 16.7% of plan participants had a loan outstanding from their 401(k) at the end of the year, Fidelity said.

Federal law allows workers to borrow up to 50% of their account balance, or $50,000, whichever is less. However many financial experts similarly advise against tapping a 401(k) before exhausting all other alternatives since you’ll also be forfeiting the power of compound interest.
A separate analysis from Vanguard also found that average 401(k) balances fell 20% in 2022 to $112,572, and hardship withdrawals ticked up slightly.
At the same time, many households also ate into their emergency savings over the course of 2022, other research shows.
Across all ages and income levels, at least one-third of adults said they are likely to have less in savings now compared with a year ago, according to a recent report by Bankrate.
“It’s clear that the less-than-optimal economy, including historically high inflation coupled with rising interest rates, has taken a double-edged toll on Americans,” said Mark Hamrick, senior economic analyst at Bankrate.

Many retirees expect to outlive their savings​

The growing savings shortfall has many older Americans worried about their retirement security. Nearly half, or 48%, of retired Americans believe they’ll outlive their savings, a separate report by Clever Real Estate found.
“Everyone is feeling pressure financially — there’s a lot of uncertainty out there in the markets and the economy,” said Mike Shamrell, Fidelity’s vice president of thought leadership.
However, “a lot of people understand there’s going to be ups and downs,” he added. “Don’t let short-term economic events derail your long-term retirement savings efforts.”

Reactions: seminoleed
Yup. And keep it invested, over the long haul it’s a winner.

The people that are screed are the ones that took the loss and got scared and pulled it all out and put it in old lady investments.
yep. There is a difference between speculating and investing….I don’t believe you should be buying or selling solely based on the “market”. In fact if the market goes down, lots of times it’s a better time to buy in…

The Intelligent Investor is a book Warren Buffett talks about a lot, and it is an interesting read overall.

The people that are screed are the ones that took the loss and got scared and pulled it all out and put it in old lady investments.
Unfortunately retirees are already using the money and many don't have enough time to recoup the losses.

Reactions: hwk23
Unfortunately retirees are already using the money and many don't have enough time to recoup the losses.
Most do have enough time. Inflation making their savings worth less is a bigger problem, imo. A person who managed to stay even over the last two years has money that is worth only 86% of what it was two years ago.

Retirees need to stay invested to have a chance. Yanking your money out of the market is the riskier approach, imo

Most do have enough time. Inflation making their savings worth less is a bigger problem, imo. A person who managed to stay even over the last two years has money that is worth only 86% of what it was two years ago.
Maybe..maybe not. Regardless they have to recalculate their withdrawals factoring in the losses. ...and as you said, inflation is making it worse.

Not really. People planning to retire in the next few years are going to suffer.

Retirees better have not had their money in a situation where they lost 20 percent. That is on them or their advisors. People losing that much should be much younger and playing the long game which means almost all stock mutual funds.

Not really. People planning to retire in the next few years are going to suffer.
Again if you were planning to retire in a year or two, it is on you and / or your advisor if you are down 20 percent. Especially after such a bull run.

Again if you were planning to retire in a year or two, it is on you and / or your advisor if you are down 20 percent. Especially after such a bull run.
Bull run?
Since mid 21 the markets have been a dud while inflation has been records.
How do retirees blame “their advisor” in this?

Maybe they should have three years of needed spending income in bonds and other ultra safe investments. If the market has a good year, replenish that safe investment.

If the market has a bad year, don’t replenish the safe investment fund. Basically you insulated yourself from troubling times and you should be good unless there is 4 consecutive bad years.

The thing to remember is… if you invested in the market your entire life you are already way ahead of the game. People forget how they accumulated all that wealth to begin with.

Maybe..maybe not. Regardless they have to recalculate their withdrawals factoring in the losses. ...and as you said, inflation is making it worse.

Inflation is a much bigger problem than market swings, especially if it persists. Twelve years of six per cent inflation takes away half of your savings. Permanently, with no recovery possible. The only way to combat inflation is to stay invested and grow your savings proportionally.

Last edited:
Fair. But the bond market didn't perform much better than stocks last year.
True, but the boomers sitting with Nasdaq heavy mutual funds are hating it. And I actually am seeing a lot of them that we’re doing just this, not reducing their risk because the money 2012-2020 was just so good.

Fair. But the bond market didn't perform much better than stocks last year.
Target funds got smoked as a result, which is where most common folks park their retirements funds. Anybody who says they haven’t taken a substantial hit after factoring in inflation is either lying, or really lucky.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
If anyone is in the market, and they will need their money in the next 10 years or less, why would they have the exposure?

I lost a lot more % of my retirement savings 15 years ago Finance....that one was worse than this one, my friend. Thankfully we had a President (Obama) who insisted on stabalizing the markets and economy and enabled me any many of my contemporaries to regain their losses.....before Covid/Trump.
Weird someone has to explain this stuff to someone who calls himself finance.

Reactions: Kelsers
I lost a lot more % of my retirement savings 15 years ago Finance....that one was worse than this one, my friend. Thankfully we had a President (Obama) who insisted on stabalizing the markets and economy and enabled me any many of my contemporaries to regain their losses.....before Covid/Trump.
Was it the record breaking debt that saved the market?

Please.

When the fed tells you they want to tank the market it’s best to listen.
Right. Let's revisit this thread in a couple months. I'm balls deep in shorting this market. It's not sustainable. Down 22% so far. It's a matter of when, not if.

Reactions: dgordo
I sold a bunch of stock and bought puts on the QQQ. Easiest shorting environment since 2008.
NVDA makes up a large portion of QQQ, I think. It might be the most overvalued stock out there right now. Insiders selling and they filed to dilute again. Under 230 is a whole lotta put gamma waiting to send that shit back under 180 where it belongs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT