ADVERTISEMENT

CNN witnesses 3 alleged thefts in 30 minutes while reporting on shoplifting

I have no solution but the idea of essential lawlessness has done the following:
- perpetuating stereotypes of liberal controlled cities.
- angered large quantities of both liberal and conservative Americans both.
- forced large chain stores to close losing jobs in the area.
- led to a feeling of helplessness from police which really aggravated conservatives and those on the left who don't hate police, which is a majority... I think.

I said I don't have a solution and I don't think this works but here is my failed attempt:
1. The people stealing have to go to jail effective immediately.
2. If you were known to have stolen things, it will be hard to retroactively punish people but some sort of community service and mandatory education with exit tests on why this is detrimental to the community to get released. Formal apology letters to the companies. Lots of tedious steps.
3. Affordable housing and multiple job opportunities offered. Have groups come out and match skills with jobs. Give incentives and bonuses (almost puked typing that) of additonal food/ internet/ phone plans for getting jobs, paying rent, etc... this will go away over a certain amount of years. Again, incentives come from doing some sort of work. FDR made people work in really crappy jobs but thats how they got their paychecks.
4. Get more people in those areas involved in special councils to work with police and government. I am spitballing and do not know their problems the way they do so they need to advocate for themselves.
5. Keep recruiting and recruting and recruting people for the police force. Trust will be earned over time but the police can't and won't disappear. Got to work it out.
6. Military get in and recruit with bonuses for families. Take people out of bad areas, give them structure and routine, give purpose.
7. Lots of mentors in schools and in the community.

All of this takes lots of money and buy in but I got nothing else...
These posts are so rare here, but I love them. Someone actually attempting to offer some well thought out possible solutions. Instead of just insults and mom jokes.

• Love
Reactions: hawkosx
Not to be the language police, but these are NOT liberal policies, these are leftist policies. I've been a "liberal" my entire life and I'm tired of this $hit and in no time or space should this be tolerated in decent society. I suppose it's guilty by association with the two party system and fringe hijacking, but traditional liberals are NOT okay with this stuff.

Not sure I’d call it taliban like punishment but if that’s what you want to call it then yes.

Right now we have people stealing like it’s not even illegal. How’s that working out? All it’s doing is raising the cost of items for the common folk so stores can make up for the loss they already budget in.
If they have the fear of losing a digit, I feel like they might think twice about it. Especially if they have been caught once before and paid the price.
How do you get a 5-finger discount with only 4 fingers?

How do you get a 5-finger discount with only 4 fingers?
You’ve been caught stealing in the past. No discount for you.

Seinfeld Soup GIF

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple
To add some perspective to this problem, the "too big to fail" bailout of Wall Street/Banks/Financial Institutions was researched and the cost totaled to ~$29 Trillion all said and done, more than an entire year's US GDP. The annual cost of retail theft in 2021 was ~$95 Billion. So it will take ~300 years for retail theft to exceed the financial costs of the too big to fail bailout.
So am I to understand you think we should just let this retail left thing play out to see how big it gets? No big deal huh?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
So am I to understand you think we should just let this retail left thing play out to see how big it gets? No big deal huh?
Yeah, that's how I read it.. it's only a 95 billion dollar issue no big deal really compared to other stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT