ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Bluder ,,,

I agree that Bluder should have gotten it because I think what she did was actually more difficult. A generational star on a team where there is a huge talent gap between her and everyone else (Kate Martin is clearly the exception to that) with unprecedented attention placed on this player and in so doing on the team. It would have been very easy for the season to crumble under that pressure and for locker room issues to get out of control. A lot of this probably has to do with Clark's character, but it takes a coach to direct it and control it.

That isn't to say McGuff didn't do a good job and wasn't deserving, but I don't think Bluder and her staff get enough credit for what they've done the last several seasons.

True but helped by an uneven schedule. Iowa and Indiana had to play the other two contenders twice, while Ohio State played Iowa twice but Indiana only once at Ohio State. IF they had lost at Indiana, there would have been a three-way tie for first.
I used to think a regular season title was so much better than a tournament title, but unbalanced schedules ( and back to back to back) have changed my thinking.
Very few people remember what NFL team had the best record if they don't win the Super Bowl.

Debatable who should have been COY. Bluder obviously did a great job, but maybe if she had added a top portal player, they are even better...

• Haha
Reactions: LinusPF
I used to think a regular season title was so much better than a tournament title, but unbalanced schedules ( and back to back to back) have changed my thinking.
Very few people remember what NFL team had the best record if they don't win the Super Bowl.

The attention span of the average American being similar to a flea helps with that.

Reactions: littlez
True but helped by an uneven schedule. Iowa and Indiana had to play the other two contenders twice, while Ohio State played Iowa twice but Indiana only once at Ohio State. IF they had lost at Indiana, there would have been a three-way tie for first.
You beat me to it.

This

Reactions: kceasthawk
Iowa got to the National Championship game starting four guards and a forward. And one of our starters was lost for the season before the tournament. Clark or not, that’s good coaching.
Especially so when you consider you can apparently win a national championship and have an undefeated season just by having a team that is taller than everyone else.

Iowa got to the National Championship game starting four guards and a forward. And one of our starters was lost for the season before the tournament. Clark or not, that’s good coaching.
And undefeated South Carolina was the only team on our schedule that we didn’t beat this season.

Pretty impressive coaching & season the more that you think about it.

Debatable who should have been COY. Bluder obviously did a great job, but maybe if she had added a top portal player, they are even better...
Better than 2nd in the country? Were we going to beat a team that went 38-0? What would it have done to team chemistry?

Reactions: cmhawks99
Especially so when you consider you can apparently win a national championship and have an undefeated season just by having a team that is taller than everyone else.
Sure, that's it. Not that their players are also all really really good. Just tall.

Hoiberg was co coach of the year but didn’t win the conference. He deserved it, IMO, but winning the conference shouldn’t be the sole factor. Bluder did an amazing job after losing MC to graduation and sticking with the players she had.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Sure, that's it. Not that their players are also all really really good. Just tall.
They do have really good players but they aren’t beating every single team they faced this past season, and I honestly don’t think us two Sundays ago, if they weren’t able to pluck rebounds out of the air before everyone else and turn it into easy layups.

I think what we accomplished this season with a team that didn’t have that kind of severe and gamechanging height advantage is a more impressive coaching feat than what South Carolina did. It’s not really a consolation in the end but that's my opinion of it.

Last edited:
Hawks lost more from their roster with no portal help. She did a heck of a job. Hannah was greatly improved, Affolter also. I thought Kate improved her three point shooting also. More wins than the previous year.
Epic failure not bringing Clark any help. Clark had to beat LSU, UCONN and South Carolina with role players. She beat 2 of them and ran out of gas.

should have been BIG coach of the year. McGuff brought in two highly ranked transfers, didn't win the BIG tourney or get to the championship game. Bucks beat Iowa at their place in OT. Decision made way too early.
beating a dead horse wtf GIF

So Bluder shouldn't have been Big10 coach of the year in 2008 because she didn't win the Big10 tournament?

Reactions: littlez
Bluder has been awesome, but this one is pretty clear... You don't blow late leads at Neb and OSU, you win league title, you win CoY.
CC and/or coaching staff got too concerned with breaking the scoring record at home and stopped shooting. She stopped scoring and the team lost their momentum and couldn't score. There went the conference title and COY....that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

should have been BIG coach of the year. McGuff brought in two highly ranked transfers, didn't win the BIG tourney or get to the championship game. Bucks beat Iowa at their place in OT. Decision made way too early.
postseason is not, and should not, be a consideration

Im a moron because i think Clark was the team . Just a differing opinion thay yours. Clark is the only player in Iowa who would see minutes for South Carolina.
They had some good complementary players, but she obviously opened up a lot of shots for them. I think they have the possibility of being a better defensive team next year. Some other conference schools have picked up some nice portal pieces for their teams, so the conference may be better. I will be interested to see how some of the younger players step up into bigger roles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT