ADVERTISEMENT

Coach John Smith Oklahoma State

Jason.D.Brantley

All-Conference
Nov 26, 2021
Iowa
I like Coach Smith and watch his interviews from time to time. I heard him say the same shit for the last three years. There is NO fight with his guys same with us. I can feel his frustration and sympathize for him. I also like Coach Ayres from Princeton.

No fight in our guys? I don’t see that at all. We have a couple guys who are limited offensively but I see a bunch of gritty wrestlers with no shortage of “fight”.

Now if you’re talking about our backups you might have a point with a couple wrestlers but the last time we talked about a particular backup it went over like a turd in a punch bowl.

Care to expound?

I find intergenerational perspectives and their generalizations curious albeit non-productive.
Kids today are not taught to fight. That is a bad trait these days. Boys are not taught to be tough. They are taught to listen and be understanding etc. Most of the fights at high schools are between girls. The girls are taught to be aggressive, chase their dreams, be leaders, and be assertive. Boys are taught to not be aggressive and to take other people's feelings into account.
This is one of the reasons for Cael's success. He talks about doing your best and not worrying about the results. He talks about the journey and getting better and having fun, enjoying the process. That resonates more with kids these days than talking about having a lot of fight in you, being tough, being stubborn, etc.
Boys used to be taught to be leaders. Now you see a lot of the champs and good wrestlers are doing it for someone else. (mostly to glorify God). But again, they are not doing it or are not motivated to do it for themselves. It is for someone else or something else.
I think guys like Ramos and P Kennedy are the type who do it for the old school reasons, but many others do not. Brooks, Starcocci, Carr all come to mind.

Boys are not taught to be tough. They are taught to listen and be understanding etc. Most of the fights at high schools are between girls. The girls are taught to be aggressive, chase their dreams, be leaders, and be assertive. Boys are taught to not be aggressive and to take other people's feelings into account.
I see where you're coming from. I hadn't taken Coach Smith reference to 'lack of fight' as literally. I thought he was referring to fortitude in persevering thru a situation versus looking for things to come easily, a la more instant gratification.

I look at what's being taught a little differently. I believe all are being taught to be assertive rather than aggressive. The emphasis is on mental vs physical toughness.

I also believe all are being taught to seek more balance. I was once advised there is no risk of another thinking one is a certain way that is contrary to their predominant behavior. For example, a predominantly assertive person will not be thought aggressive or a predominantly giving person thought selfish.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I see where you're coming from. I hadn't taken Coach Smith reference to 'lack of fight' as literally. I thought he was referring to fortitude in persevering thru a situation versus looking for things to come easily, a la more instant gratification.

I look at what's being taught a little differently. I believe all are being taught to be assertive rather than aggressive. The emphasis is on mental vs physical toughness.

I also believe all are being taught to seek more balance. I was once advised there is no risk of another thinking one is a certain way that is contrary to their predominant behavior. For example, a predominantly assertive person will not be thought aggressive or a predominantly giving person thought selfish.
If the emphasis is currently on mental toughness we are failing mightily on the subject we are emphasizing. If the result of focusing on mental toughness is safe spaces, cry closets, and stress cards we are failing in a big way.

If the emphasis is currently on mental toughness we are failing mightily on the subject we are emphasizing. If the result of focusing on mental toughness is safe spaces, cry closets, and stress cards we are failing in a big way.
I believe most of those constructs ("safe spaces, cry closets, and stress cards") are to bridge the gap from an environment perceived as rampant with 'toxic masculinity' to some future where norms of civility make them unnecessary.

The constructs are newer institutional ways society created and aimed at very young people who are ill-equipped to deal with psychological attacks. Then those young mature to carry the construct figuratively as an expectation for their environs.

I believe teachers want to teach free of drama and physical altercations. Sometimes history goes full circle, so I expect things will continue to evolve and repeat.

Reactions: natchrlman
the irony of this is that you geezers were the ones who raised us. so if we are soft (we aren't), that's on you bud. nice going.
My kids are far from soft, due to how they were raised. Had I raised you, you'd not be either. Keep playing video games in your parents basement.

You'd stack yourself up with kids: 200 years ago who worked all day in an Agrarian society? 100 years ago with that or in heavy factories? With troops in WWI or II ? Or even having to actually perform man work of any kind.

Again, keep telling yourself you're great if it makes you feel good

My kids are far from soft, due to how they were raised. Had I raised you, you'd not be either. Keep playing video games in your parents basement.

You'd stack yourself up with kids: 200 years ago who worked all day in an Agrarian society? 100 years ago with that or in heavy factories? With troops in WWI or II ? Or even having to actually perform man work of any kind.

Again, keep telling yourself you're great if it makes you feel good
worked and supported myself my whole adult life. you're a landlord, a leach on society. you don't get to lecture people who work and add value to the world like myself.

as an aside, if kids 100 years ago had to deal with growing up with the internet and social media, their brains would leak out their ears. how do i know this? because that's exactly what happens to any adult over 40 who spends a considerable time on it now.

every generation ever has thought the next generation was "soft." it was bs then and it's bs now. the word you're looking for is "different" and it's a leader's job to adapt to get the best out of the team.
That’s not true. My great grandfather never thought that my grandfather’s generation was soft. My grandfather went through the Great Depression and WWII. Now your statement is probably true ever since that generation. We have enjoyed nearly a hundred years of prosperity so it’s rather natural that every generation has gotten softer.

Hows the saying go? Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create Weak men. Weak men create hard times.

I’m fearful that our society has gotten weak enough that we are due for some hard times for the first time in a long while.

“Many [young people] were so pampered nowadays that they had forgotten that there was such a thing as walking, and they made automatically for the buses… unless they did something, the future for walking was very poor indeed.”
Scottish Rights of Way: More Young People Should Use Them, Falkirk Herald, 1951

“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...”
Letter in Town and Country magazine republished in Paris Fashion: A Cultural History, 1771

“We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”
The Conduct of Young People, Hull Daily Mail, 1925

“ [Young people] are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.”
Rhetoric, Aristotle, 4th Century BC

“Probably there is no period in history in which young people have given such emphatic utterance to a tendency to reject that which is old and to wish for that which is new.”
Young People Drinking More, Portsmouth Evening News, 1936

Old people talking down about the generations coming after them is literally a tale as old as time.

That’s not true. My great grandfather never thought that my grandfather’s generation was soft. My grandfather went through the Great Depression and WWII.

While your actual great-grandfather may have thought this there is ample historical evidence in newspapers, books, magazines etc to support the fact that many in his generation did think that way.

worked and supported myself my whole adult life. you're a landlord, a leach on society. you don't get to lecture people who work and add value to the world like myself.

as an aside, if kids 100 years ago had to deal with growing up with the internet and social media, their brains would leak out their ears. how do i know this? because that's exactly what happens to any adult over 40 who spends a considerable time on it now.
You're too funny, and naive.

I'll be you can kick all ass in any virtual reality game you play. Your version of history is the crappy first gen Marvel Avenger movies and video games ....back in the day.

Your tough because that Starbucks latte is half caf, with whipped cream, but no sprinkles on top.

Leach on baby

I'll be you can kick all ass in any virtual reality game you play. Your version of history is the crappy first gen Marvel Avenger movies and video games ....back in the day.

Your tough because that Starbucks latte is half caf, with whipped cream, but no sprinkles on top.

Leach on baby
I know you think you're making good/funny points, but all your posts like this are really just cringeworthy and proof that wealth can't buy intelligence

Leach on baby
like a conservative facebook meme page came to life. touch grass old man lmao
*taps sign*

“Many [young people] were so pampered nowadays that they had forgotten that there was such a thing as walking, and they made automatically for the buses… unless they did something, the future for walking was very poor indeed.”

“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...”
Letter in Town and Country magazine republished in Paris Fashion: A Cultural History, 1771

“We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”

“ [Young people] are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.”

“Probably there is no period in history in which young people have given such emphatic utterance to a tendency to reject that which is old and to wish for that which is new.”

Old people talking down about the generations coming after them is literally a tale as old as time.
I agree that the older generation usually think the younger generation has it easy, especially after all the inventions on the past 150 years. That being said, I run a painting company and it is almost impossible to find someone under the age of 30 who will work as hard as the 40 plus year olds work. Would I want to work hard if I did not have to? Probably not.
The truth is that people do what they need to do and take the path of least resistance. Life is easy right now for most people and the is why it is hard to talk to kids about "needing to fight" to win etc. When owe grew up, the fathers taught their kids how to fight because it was a necessary skill. Not so much any more.

giphy.gif

While your actual great-grandfather may have thought this there is ample historical evidence in newspapers, books, magazines etc to support the fact that many in his generation did think that way.
You do realize you can also find newspaper articles, books, etc with authors who are very optimistic about younger generations right? For the past 100 years each generation has gotten increasingly softer. It’s quantifiably true. It can be explained away largely by technological advances but some believe it’s deeper than that.

I mean, FWIW, you can have each generation after the next being slightly more unruly and "soft", so each generation making that claim wouldn't contradict it. However, as JS pointed out, there would be no one to blame but the parents that raised that generation. So really, the kids becoming softer, less disciplined, etc over time would be a by-product of the parents becoming softer over time. That and the external environment.

Leach on baby
That was nice!!! The man did say he relishes a good street fight. He don't lie.

Sorry @js8793, but you gotta find your own brick (and I don't mean a dead cell phone).

Last edited:
Reactions: TNTwrestle
Just imagine how good Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling could be if if wasn't loaded with weak youth? What a bunch of wusses and softies. Must be an Iowa thing cause kids in my area here in Central PA work hard as hell.

I mean, FWIW, you can have each generation after the next being slightly more unruly and "soft", so each generation making that claim wouldn't contradict it. However, as JS pointed out, there would be no one to blame but the parents that raised that generation. So really, the kids becoming softer, less disciplined, etc over time would be a by-product of the parents becoming softer over time. That and the external environment.
If parents had complete control over their kids you could blame all the parents and for sure some of it is on the parents but the world in general is a much different place providing much different influence now than say 1978. Influence from schools and from technology changes which includes social media are very impactful. Societal norms are also impactful. If a kid got out of line in public in 1978 he was likely to get his ass beat on the spot. The other people present would question why the parents let a kid act up before they question spanking the kids ass. Now days someone calls the cops on the old man. Put it this way. If I did the exact same parenting philosophy on the same kid, one scenario born in 1970 and the other born in 2010. The 2010 version will be a lot "softer" than the 1970 version. I wasn't even a ruffian growing up and was in more than 10 fist fights during my childhood years. My own 2 boys maybe had 1 total between them. The teachers would tell you to go hit people back when I was a kid, fighting was common. For people over 45 the parental advice to getting picked on when they were a kid was likely punch him in nose. Now it's more likely tell the teacher because if your kid punches him he might end up expelled and at the police station.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT