ADVERTISEMENT

Cold showers

Feb 9, 2013
Anyone do this?

I’ve seen some of the supposed health benefits (no clue if true) and I tried it this morning…for about 30 seconds. I then decided life is too short for cold showers.

What am I missing here?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Only cold showers I have taken were in high school after away football games when the other schools old sh*tty locker rooms didn't have hot water.

Few things better than a nice hot shower IMO.

Natural Soap Wash Up GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Not by choice, although there was a time while camping in the Smokies where I used a park shower house equipped with zero hot water,.. Very quick event.

I gave them up after visiting Moscow in 1985, to wit...

At that time (and maybe continuing), the Soviets would turn off all of the hot water to large swaths of the city to check the pipes, which typically took 7-10 days. After a few days, all of the students in our group were getting cranky, and our hair was starting to look like Kramer in the low-flow shower head episode of Seinfeld.

At that point, our Russian instructors, one of whose father was apparently a reasonably prominent Party guy, took pity on us. After our morning classes, we went to a non-public Russian sauna for Party people. Entered the center hall, girls went right, guys went left. Went in for the first session, and the steam was just unbelievably hot. Sweat is pouring off of me. Step out, jump into the luke-cold pool, rinse and repeat (the second time getting tapped with birch branches). Go into the locker and hang out; learned how to open bottles of beer by leveraging each bottle's cap against the other. So we finished up and head back to the center hall. The girls were positive glowing, including this one girl who was just all-american girl beautiful and a real sweetheart. (Eventually did some time in military and became a NYT editor).

But that's not all. Walked over to the Metropol Hotel, and had fantastic Chicken Kiev for one of my best meals when I was there (they usually served you according to their national stereotype of your diet, so we got a lot of bad stringy beef).

But that's not all either. From there, Swan Lake at the Bolshoi. Almost fell asleep on the Metro back to our hotel.

Probably the most relaxed day of my 60 years on this earth. So the moral of the story is, why on earth would you take a cold shower if there's even the slightest random chance you can hit a Russian Sauna, dine sumptuously at the Metropol, and see Swan Lake at the Bolshoi?

At that time (and maybe continuing), the Soviets would turn off all of the hot water to large swaths of the city to check the pipes, which typically took 7-10 days. After a few days, all of the students in our group were getting cranky, and our hair was starting to look like Kramer in the low-flow shower head episode of Seinfeld.

At that point, our Russian instructors, one of whose father was apparently a reasonably prominent Party guy, took pity on us. After our morning classes, we went to a non-public Russian sauna for Party people. Entered the center hall, girls went right, guys went left. Went in for the first session, and the steam was just unbelievably hot. Sweat is pouring off of me. Step out, jump into the luke-cold pool, rinse and repeat (the second time getting tapped with birch branches). Go into the locker and hang out; learned how to open bottles of beer by leveraging each bottle's cap against the other. So we finished up and head back to the center hall. The girls were positive glowing, including this one girl who was just all-american girl beautiful and a real sweetheart. (Eventually did some time in military and became a NYT editor).

But that's not all. Walked over to the Metropol Hotel, and had fantastic Chicken Kiev for one of my best meals when I was there (they usually served you according to their national stereotype of your diet, so we got a lot of bad stringy beef).

But that's not all either. From there, Swan Lake at the Bolshoi. Almost fell asleep on the Metro back to our hotel.

Probably the most relaxed day of my 60 years on this earth. So the moral of the story is, why on earth would you take a cold shower if there's even the slightest random chance you can hit a Russian Sauna, dine sumptuously at the Metropol, and see Swan Lake at the Bolshoi?

Call me crazy, but I'd have been just a bit on edge of a "Party guy" dividing us up and taking us to the showers.

Call me crazy, but I'd have been just a bit on edge of a "Party guy" taking us to the showers.
nah. back then Russians were just people. The ones you had to watch for were the KGB whores running the honey traps in the bars of the western hotels.

• Love
Reactions: Hawki97

200.gif

I have done them every single day for the past 3 months at around 60 degrees for about 1.5 to 2 minutes, sometimes up to 3 depending on mood.

First doing a lukewarm regular shower, then doing the cold interval before shutting it off.

Have had 3 various surgeries the past few years and had read about the health benefits- mainly decreased inflammation.

I will say I’ve noticed improvement in muscle tension as well as much improved sleep. I plan on keeping it routine for the foreseeable future.

Do you bring your own ice to the interstate bathhouse?
DA ONLY THING DA HITMAN USES ICE FOR IS ICE COLD SPRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE REST OF YOU RADICAL MARXISTS USE IT TO ICE YOUR BUTTS AFTER GOING INTO DA INTERSTATE BATHHOUSES AND EATING ALL DA SEMEN AND SOY AND GETTING DA AIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE YOU LOSAH LIBTAHDS CAN GET A REAL JOB AND SUPPORT TRUMP AND DA MAGA AGENDA SO WE CAN SAVE THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP SUPPORTING DA BERNIE AND DA SQUAD AND DA KAMALALALALA AND DA CHE GUEVARA AND DEMAND DA CASSVILLE BRIDGE GETS BUILT SO SOUTHERN CLAYTON COUNTY BECOMES DA CENTAH OF DA UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT