ADVERTISEMENT

Dog can't stand up

Couldn't get up this morning. Couldn't even walk for a treat.

Tried helping him to his feet but he takes a few steps and just falls down.

We'll see what the vet says but I feel like this is probably it. He is 14 so it's about that time.

Looks otherwise normal while laying down though. Not looking forward to telling the kids about this. My daughter just moved on from my mom's bird dying and has been worried about the dog for a while now because of his age.

She will probably be crying for a week or 2 minimum. The boys will too but I don't think they are as sensitive.
Sorry buddy...this absolutly SUCKS. Losing a pet family member is devistating. Can I ask how old your wife's bird was and what kind of bird? We have a Cockatiel...but he really is my wife's bird as she walks with him on her shoulder 50% of the day. But, we all love him and when he goes (he is 29 years old).....it is going to be BAD at my house. Prayers.......

I’m bored. Sitting the the back of an ambulance on an inter facility transfer and am asleep patient. Tears running down my face.

A patient dies on me and for the most part it’s oh well. A dog? Breaks me up
Guessing this isn't true for kids. They leave a mark.

Sorry to hear that, @Hoosierhawkeye.

Different animal, but lost two cats to old age years back.

You like to think you're a grown adult and somewhat immune to severe heartbreak with things like a pet passing when its time comes, but to have to watch a cat pitifully meow as it can only just roll around because it can't stand up, let alone walk, just rips your heart to pieces.

The other cat suffered a somewhat similar fate, severe disability due to old age.

Couldn't bear to watch either get euthanized. I'm man enough to admit tears were shed as I sat knowing what was happening.

Gramps had them cremated and still have their ashes on the mantle to this day.

Last edited:
OP, sorry to hear that.

God damnit this gets me every time

Same. I saw that for the first time on this site a while ago. My old dog is 12 this year and have been seeing slow downs and think about this strip. It's made me take more time every day to get on the floor and cuddle with her.

So update, we havn't put him down yet or taken him to a vet. We're planning on taking him to his regular vet on Monday. Didn't want to rush him to emergency vet when he didn't appear to be in any pain and isn't declining. So we're gonna give him the opportunity recover if it's possible.

We did research and there is a condition older dogs sometimes get with their balance system but usually improves in a couple weeks at most. We are hoping it's that.

Other than that he eats and drinks although we have to bring the food and water to him. Still wags his tail when someone comes to pet him or give him attention. We've taken up using a towel or sheet around him that we hold on to to help him balance so he can go outside to go to the bathroom. This morning once we got him going like that he started moving really quickly and it was hard to keep up and hold the sheet. My wife got the actual proper tool to do this on Amazon and it should get here today.

Today he was able to get to his feet all by himself a couple times. The first time was when we were trying to take him out this morning, he managed to walk about 10 or 15 feet but fell back down. The second time was when he decided he wanted to lay on his rug instead of his bed. Just got up and walked that by himself but that was only a couple of feet. So maybe some improvement?

So still not out of the woods. We will see what the vet says tomorrow as to his prognosis.

Sorry buddy...this absolutly SUCKS. Losing a pet family member is devistating. Can I ask how old your wife's bird was and what kind of bird? We have a Cockatiel...but he really is my wife's bird as she walks with him on her shoulder 50% of the day. But, we all love him and when he goes (he is 29 years old).....it is going to be BAD at my house. Prayers.......

It was my mom's bird actually. We had a lot of cockatiels throughout my childhood. At one point my parents actually had 10 different birds, mostly cockatiels.

This bird however was a Blue Headed Pionus and we are estimating that she was 25. We actually had expected her to live longer because we read that they could live up to 40 years in captivity. We don't know why she died, she just did. That is sort of a thing with birds, they generally die pretty suddenly.

Is your wife's bird male or female? It's been my experience the males live significantly longer than the females. I don't know exactly why. My mom also has a cockatiel who we got as a baby when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL. For reference I turn 42 at the end of this month. So he's actually about 30.

That's the other thing with birds, they seem to vary in lifespan pretty significantly even birds of the same species.

So update, we havn't put him down yet or taken him to a vet. We're planning on taking him to his regular vet on Monday. Didn't want to rush him to emergency vet when he didn't appear to be in any pain and isn't declining. So we're gonna give him the opportunity recover if it's possible.

We did research and there is a condition older dogs sometimes get with their balance system but usually improves in a couple weeks at most. We are hoping it's that.

Other than that he eats and drinks although we have to bring the food and water to him. Still wags his tail when someone comes to pet him or give him attention. We've taken up using a towel or sheet around him that we hold on to to help him balance so he can go outside to go to the bathroom. This morning once we got him going like that he started moving really quickly and it was hard to keep up and hold the sheet. My wife got the actual proper tool to do this on Amazon and it should get here today.

Today he was able to get to his feet all by himself a couple times. The first time was when we were trying to take him out this morning, he managed to walk about 10 or 15 feet but fell back down. The second time was when he decided he wanted to lay on his rug instead of his bed. Just got up and walked that by himself but that was only a couple of feet. So maybe some improvement?

So still not out of the woods. We will see what the vet says tomorrow as to his prognosis.
My older dog had vestibular disease which causes falling down like that. She did get better for awhile, although she always had a head tilt that made her look like she was questioning you. She would have seizure like episodes that the vet was able to control for about 6 months before old age and an enlarged heart finally took over.

I've always found it ironic that it was a large heart that took my dog away.

So today he showed some big improvements, was able to go outside and go to the bathroom without assistance other than us leading him on the leash. He then went to the vet and walked that pretty much on his own too on a leash. I had to help him into van but I had to do that before anyways.

Vet agrees that it was an issue with his vestibular system. He gave us pills to help with dizziness.

Going to try tonight to transition him back to going to his food and water bowl rather than have us bring all that stuff to him.

So today he showed some big improvements, was able to go outside and go to the bathroom without assistance other than us leading him on the leash. He then went to the vet and walked that pretty much on his own too on a leash. I had to help him into van but I had to do that before anyways.

Vet agrees that it was an issue with his vestibular system. He gave us pills to help with dizziness.

Going to try tonight to transition him back to going to his food and water bowl rather than have us bring all that stuff to him.
Happy for you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT