ADVERTISEMENT

College laptop backpack recommendations

DportHawk92

HB All-State
Feb 5, 2003
My son will be a freshman at Iowa in a couple months and am looking to purchase a new backpack for him. Have been eyeballing Swissgear. Worth the extra money? Preference would be one with a laptop compartment but am open to other suggestions.

TIA

giant-jansport-backpack-0.jpg

I think the one I got was an "Amazon" brand, and it's got plenty of pockets, durable and half the price.
It was for a 17" laptop, and a cozy fit, but works fine.

I like the separate pockets to put a bluetooth mouse and spare power cord in, so they are easy to find.
I don't think I spent much over $20 on it.

I think the one I got was an "Amazon" brand
I can't speak to the backpack but I bought Amazon "Basics" brand covers for our new patio furniture a couple months ago and they are fantastic. If they are an indicator of general brand quality, I'd definitely give the backpack a try.

Reactions: Joes Place
If you have an active lifestyle, a backpack could be the best way to carry your laptop safely for several reasons. It is comfortable, allows you to use your hands without problems, and makes transport easy, regardless of the device's weight and accessories. On the global backpack, I found the right backpack for my laptop to fit and put all the accessories I need when I have videos and carry everything I need there on the spot. What kind of backpack do you have for your laptop when you go to the movies?

I don’t skimp when it comes to buying backpacks. Especially a daily use one like a college kid will have for four years. My Osprey has treated me well. It sounds silly, but the “kickstand” is a surprisingly key detail in these bags…especially for a laptop bag. The ventilated back is also helpful to fend off tshirt back sweat that some coeds may find offensive.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the backpack but I bought Amazon "Basics" brand covers for our new patio furniture a couple months ago and they are fantastic. If they are an indicator of general brand quality, I'd definitely give the backpack a try.

Interesting. I’ve bought multiple “Amazon Basics” branded stuff and it has been crap. Fire pit cover developed holes within a couple months, charging cables separated at the charge point or just quit working (likely a pin contact problem), television mount had play in the hinge resulting in horizontal movement, etc. I chalked it up to a “you get what you pay for” situation and it felt like the stuff I got was cheap Chinese crap. Because it was across so many products I figured it was more than just unlucky…

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleATL
My 14 yr old has a Swiss Gear backpack that works well for him. He’s also got an UA Hawkeyes one that seems pretty durable. Lately he’s been using run of the mill backpack with his name, number and team logo on it. There’s a lot of good options out there, tough to go wrong with most of them.

I've got a Swiss Gear I've used for 6 years for work and it is like new. Can't go wrong with them.

I don’t skimp when it comes to buying backpacks. Especially a daily use one like a college kid will have for four years. My Osprey has treated me well. It sounds silly, but the “kickstand” is a surprisingly key detail in these bags…especially for a laptop bag. The ventilated back is also helpful to fend off tshirt back sweat that some coeds may find offensive.

Has anyone checked on this guy from their website? He seems like he needs a pep talk... or a hug or something. He's contemplating being the next school shooter but he's already graduated. Quite the conundrum.

tropos_f19_detail5_sentinelgrey.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Hawki97
I found an article that had a bunch of backpacks and reviews for them, and gave it to the kid. She went through and picked out what she liked, and I ordered it. Most all the "college" backpacks have separate cushioned sleeves in them for laptops.

I am sure the OP appreciates all the new suggestions, but that kid has either become a junior, dropped out, or hopefully graduated by now. Whatever happened I am positive they got the backpack decision squared away in 2018.

Haha! That’s awesome. I never check dates on posts…I will get caught in everyone of these threads!

Reactions: NoleinATL
I don’t think I used a backpack after maybe 9th grade? I know I didn’t have one in college.

I don’t think I used a backpack after maybe 9th grade? I know I didn’t have one in college.

I used one in college and then didn’t for a while when I started working. Then I started traveling all the time and was spending beaucoup time in airports and hotels (so much that I have a higher lifetime status than Trad w/Marriott - respect bro!). The over the shoulder bag was a pain in the ass and it actually started to create some pain in my shoulders even if I switched regularly. At that point I switched to a backpack and have never looked back. That point is also when I realized I was getting old and weak. :(

Haha! That’s awesome. I never check dates on posts…I will get caught in everyone of these threads!
Same.

I went through the backpack search a few days ago, and just wanted to be helpful. Didn't think to see if it was an old thread.

I used one in college and then didn’t for a while when I started working. Then I started traveling all the time and was spending beaucoup time in airports and hotels (so much that I have a higher lifetime status than Trad w/Marriott - respect bro!). The over the shoulder bag was a pain in the ass and it actually started to create some pain in my shoulders even if I switched regularly. At that point I switched to a backpack and have never looked back. That point is also when I realized I was getting old and weak. :(
I went the other way - I didn't like how uncomfortable the backpack was for work (and, if we're being honest, how it made me feel like a kid), so I found a good Ogio "messenger bag" that holds all my work stuff, and is really comfortable.

Amazon product ASIN B000NDOVPO

Mystery Ranch, can double as a backpack if needed, lifetime warranty, quality construction. Oooooooooooooooooor go with the traditional Mountainsmith lumbar pack with shoulder harness that would fit most laptops except the extremely large varieties, dual bottle holders on the outside, plenty of storage on the inside. I've had two mountainsmiths for over 35 years, just got a mystery ranch bag for work and travel this past year, love them both.

WS21%203%20Way%20Briefcase%20Expandable%20110046_wood%20waxed-40.jpg

Seriously, Swissgear is durable, functional and attractive. Bought mine 8 years ago and it looks like new. It will out-live me.

6752202409-02_2.jpg

The North Face Borealis backpacks are great. Perfect size, well built, very comfortable, lots of colors available.

10373525x1199347_zm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT