ADVERTISEMENT

College traditions I'm kinda jealous of

Iowa-WildCat

Scout Team
Mar 13, 2023
Just for fun I'd like to hear about college traditions from other schools that make me pause and say Hmmm kinda jealous.

I'll start with the obvious as an example. The Hawkeye swarm and Hospital wave are great!
This one might get me throat punched, and I don't know if they still wear them but dang I always liked the Iowa State Wrestling team robes.
Virginia Tech... Enter The Sandman! Really Jealous!
Auburn War Eagle that flies around the stadium is pretty cool.
FSU Osceola and Renegade

Just for fun I'd like to hear about college traditions from other schools that make me pause and say Hmmm kinda jealous.

I'll start with the obvious as an example. The Hawkeye swarm and Hospital wave are great!
This one might get me throat punched, and I don't know if they still wear them but dang I always liked the Iowa State Wrestling team robes.
FSU Osceola and Renegade
World’s Largest Cocktail Party…🍸

U of Illinois had some really great band pregame and halftime centered around iirc the first marching band west of the Mississippi and mascot Chief Illiniwick. I was at two hawk games at Illinois back in the 1980s and the mascot with the band was a very good halftime. The school dropped the mascot about 20 years ago.

Of course, times changed and even the grouping of tribes changed their idea of the mascot. The elders and many who used to be proud of the mascot showing their heritage changed their stance as more and more younger native americans added their feelings against what the mascot was portraying. and I can understand that as I have sure changed my ideas from when I was a young kid in the late 1950s and 1960s to now about the history of native americans.

U of Illinois had some really great band pregame and halftime centered around iirc the first marching band west of the Mississippi and mascot Chief Illiniwick. I was at two hawk games at Illinois back in the 1980s and the mascot with the band was a very good halftime. The school dropped the mascot about 20 years ago.

Of course, times changed and even the grouping of tribes changed their idea of the mascot. The elders and many who used to be proud of the mascot showing their heritage changed their stance as more and more younger native americans added their feelings against what the mascot was portraying. and I can understand that as I have sure changed my ideas from when I was a young kid in the late 1950s and 1960s to now about the history of native americans.
Illinois is not west of the Mississippi.

That was a great tradition at games. Not sure about the tribal elders stuff, that tribe has been extinct for a long time. You sure you're thinking about Illinois?

I recall going to a football game in champaign in the late 90's or early 2000s and walking by the protesters on the way into the stadium. It was about 4 white hippies and 2 college students with signs about how the university was offending their religion...in any case, societal pressures are societal pressures and as is custom, Illinois decided ignoring the native american influence was the safer route to go, and they're probably right.

• Haha
Reactions: LukaDuka

The Krispy Kreme Challenge
North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)​

Students wearing donut costumes.

NC State University students have a deep appreciation for dressing in costume. Each Halloween, students pack Hillsborough Street for the annual “Hike,” but one day of playing dress-up simply wouldn’t cut it for the Wolfpack. To fulfill this need, as spring semester rolls around (normally in early February), students take part in the Krispy Kreme Challenge: A 5-mile race to and from the local Krispy Kreme store, where each participant downs a dozen donuts in an hour or less.

The challenge is a highlight of the year for many students who dress in costumes ranging from bananas and the Breaking Bad characters to teams of Crayola crayons and superheroes. All of the money raised from the registration fees is donated to the North Carolina Children’s Hospital, which means that not only is the day a memorable experience, it does a world of good. Last year’s winner had a time of just over 30 minutes.

That was a great tradition at games. Not sure about the tribal elders stuff, that tribe has been extinct for a long time. You sure you're thinking about Illinois?

I recall going to a football game in champaign in the late 90's or early 2000s and walking by the protesters on the way into the stadium. It was about 4 white hippies and 2 college students with signs about how the university was offending their religion...in any case, societal pressures are societal pressures and as is custom, Illinois decided ignoring the native american influence was the safer route to go, and they're probably right.
If you google chief illiniwek you find that all or most all of the Illinois tribes were relocated out west, many to that beautiful. green luscious place called Okla.

Am I crazy, does Iowa not do Enter Sandman when the Swarm is coming out on the field?!?!? It has been about a decade since I have been to a game in Kinnick so I would be sad to hear that they stopped doing that.

Illinois isn't WEST of the Mississippi. Just sayin.

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I’m always jealous of the crazy home court advantages in college bball. Places like Hilton And Cameron. Went to the Phog before and it was awesome. Even for the pushover game I was watching.

Reactions: pink shizzle
When I went to the U of Hawaii the players did the Haka before the game and I always thought that was pretty badass.

I assume they still do it but they got rid of Vili the Warrior and I always figured he was a permanent part of the football team.

Used to go watch them practice, awesome
I saw them for the first time as a Boy Scout usher at a game in 1972 (I think). I was hooked after that. Must be the bit of highland Scot blood from my dads ancestry in me (sure isn't the German). lol

OP - cool tradition? I always got a kick out of watching the kids in Purdue's (Most Hated Rival) Breakfast Club on gameday mornings in West Lafayette.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Am I crazy, does Iowa not do Enter Sandman when the Swarm is coming out on the field?!?!? It has been about a decade since I have been to a game in Kinnick so I would be sad to hear that they stopped doing that.
Back in Black by ACDC I believe.....

FSU Osceola and Renegade
VTech entrance is the best…

It's not football but I always liked the winning team losing chant that I believe Utah St. perfected. May not have been the first to do it but damn, I always enjoy watching them do it.

Back in Black by ACDC I believe.....
Hmm, could have sworn Enter Sandman was there too, like when they are coming out of the locker room. Googled it and came up with this so I am pretty sure I am not crazy this time, hut yes I also recall Back in Black

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT