ADVERTISEMENT

College traditions I'm kinda jealous of

U of Illinois had some really great band pregame and halftime centered around iirc the first marching band west of the Mississippi and mascot Chief Illiniwick. I was at two hawk games at Illinois back in the 1980s and the mascot with the band was a very good halftime. The school dropped the mascot about 20 years ago.

Of course, times changed and even the grouping of tribes changed their idea of the mascot. The elders and many who used to be proud

That was a great tradition at games. Not sure about the tribal elders stuff, that tribe has been extinct for a long time. You sure you're thinking about Illinois?

I recall going to a football game in champaign in the late 90's or early 2000s and walking by the protesters on the way into the stadium. It was about 4 white hippies and 2 college students with signs about how the university was offending their religion...in any case, societal pressures are societal pressures and as is custom, Illinois decided ignoring the native american influence was the safer route to go, and they're probably right.
As someone with heavy Native American influence in my life thru family I can confirm about 95% of Native American uproar/protests comes from mainly bored white people.

As someone with heavy Native American influence in my life thru family I can confirm about 95% of Native American uproar/protests comes from mainly bored white people.
Not jelly but always thought FSU Osceola and Renegade tradition was cool. And the war chant..

Reactions: ButtersHawk
U of Illinois had some really great band pregame and halftime centered around iirc the first marching band west of the Mississippi and mascot Chief Illiniwick. I was at two hawk games at Illinois back in the 1980s and the mascot with the band was a very good halftime. The school dropped the mascot about 20 years ago.

Of course, times changed and even the grouping of tribes changed their idea of the mascot. The elders and many who used to be proud of the mascot showing their heritage changed their stance as more and more younger native americans added their feelings against what the mascot was portraying. and I can understand that as I have sure changed my ideas from when I was a young kid in the late 1950s and 1960s to now about the history of native americans.
They should bring back the Chief Illiniwek logo.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Well dang guess I'll take VT off my bucket list.

I love how a Coed from Berkeley can decide how others should be offended! LOL

Iowa: playing “In heaven there is no beer” after wins is an underrated tradition

GA Tech: they have an old jalopy they drive around. It’s cooler than it sounds

OSU everyone sings the school alma mater song after the game, which they take very seriously

People tell me “Jump Around” at Wisky is overrated, and I believe it

It pains me to say, but the PSU white out at night is sweet. No one does a color scheme like them.

I'll also say I miss the card stunts. Why did those stop? And red pom poms?

The Krispy Kreme Challenge

North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)​

Students wearing donut costumes.

NC State University students have a deep appreciation for dressing in costume. Each Halloween, students pack Hillsborough Street for the annual “Hike,” but one day of playing dress-up simply wouldn’t cut it for the Wolfpack. To fulfill this need, as spring semester rolls around (normally in early February), students take part in the Krispy Kreme Challenge: A 5-mile race to and from the local Krispy Kreme store, where each participant downs a dozen donuts in an hour or less.
Pshaw. These kids are posers. I worked at a company headquartered across the street from tOSU. For seven years my wife lived (and played) at our place in Arizona while I batched it in Columbus. On the way home from work I passed a Kristy Kreme and once a week I’d stop and get a dozen (actually 13). As I told my wife on the phone I had 9 for dinner, and 4 for desert. These kids did it once a year—I did it every week

Last edited:
A good friend of mine is a card carrying Cherokee Nation member. (That expression really is a thing, showed he his ID card for the tribe one time). He does buck the trend of his demographic and is actually a pretty conservative guy, but he said the same thing when we were drinking on my deck one night last year, and that most of them don't care, and it's all a white guilt thing.

It pains me to say, but the PSU white out at night is sweet. No one does a color scheme like them.

I'll also say I miss the card stunts. Why did those stop? And red pom poms?
Best color scheme I remember is Texas A&M doing a red, white & blue on a Veteran’s Day game. It looked great with the three levels each in one of the colors.

The drunk guy with the trumpet in the corner, just above the end zone, in the early 1980s. That, and passing girls up the bleachers. Good times.

Reactions: nck24
Ralphie or Bevo are terrrific.
Any college basketball arena that has a great student section. Iowa used to have it.
The dotting of the i at Ohio State might be the best pregame band experience.
ISU's constant honoring of Jack Trice with the uniform bars is perfect. I also like ISU and other teams putting the state flag of where the player lived on the back of the players helmet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT