ADVERTISEMENT

Columbus likely Spanish and Jewish, study suggests

Crazy. I'll have to look into that. Even as a history teacher, none of that ever came up in my history classes during that time period. Not even at Iowa...
It is fascinating. Take a look at how the conquistadors were able to take down the Aztecs. Raw numbers alone should have made it impossible. So how did they do it? If people believe superior firepower and superstition they would be wrong. It may have helped but the real reason was the Aztecs themselves. The Aztecs also liked to eat people in a ritualistic manner. Turns out conquered tribes didn't like being subjucatwd, sacrificed, and eaten. So they joined with Cortes.

Doesn't make the Spanish saints but this modern idea that would replace Columbus day with indigenous people day is blind to the actual history of indigenous peoples in the America's.

We can discuss north American tribes if people think this was just a South of the border thing

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
It is fascinating. Take a look at how the conquistadors were able to take down the Aztecs. Raw numbers alone should have made it impossible. So how did they do it? If people believe superior firepower and superstition they would be wrong. It may have helped but the real reason was the Aztecs themselves. The Aztecs also liked to eat people in a ritualistic manner. Turns out conquered tribes didn't like being subjucatwd, sacrificed, and eaten. So they joined with Cortes.

Doesn't make the Spanish saints but this modern idea that would replace Columbus day with indigenous people day is blind to the actual history of indigenous peoples in the America's.

We can discuss north American tribes if people think this was just a South of the border thing

Yeah, I knew that and discussed that with my kids this year (Aztec part). Did you know at the beginning of the Aztec empire they were putting on a ritualistic dance as a "peace offering" and when the dude came in he was wearing the rival Chiefs daughter's skin after sacrifice? Or so it's been told through Native oral histories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT