ADVERTISEMENT

Come Sunday

I'm actually more curious what kind of scam the ILL student section is going to try to pull to spam a mass ticket group purchase this weekend.

The "Boys & Girls Club of Illinois" scheme is out, obviously.

Can't forget this .

Maybe some "Lock him up" for the alleged rapist Shannon.

Or, do we take the high road?
Northwestern's student section chanted "No Means No!" I'm told that they were under very strict orders to keep it decent or they would be evicted from the game.

I agree. And I know that player lawyered up to force Illinois to put him back on the roster but in my opinion Illinois should have appealed the decision and kept him suspended. And if they ran out of legal options, and they were forced to put him on the bench during games, the head coach can make the decision to not play him.
A federal judge literally told Illinois it had to treat Shannon as any other student athlete, as he has been convicted of exactly the same number of crimes as you have. Sitting an All American would quite clearly be violating the judge's orders, as there is zero reality where Shannon is ever benched without these allegations. Iowa would be doing the EXACT same thing, period.

Honestly impressed that the OP had the restraint to add "alleged" in his post. Even if you are not inclined to assume someone is innocent until proven guilty, the evidence in this case appears especially light. It's a very delicate situation, and I acknowledge that. But I think your average non-Illini fan is taking more of a one-sided view of this than your average Illini fan here ... assuming he's guilty from the jump without looking at anything about the case and chanting "Lock him up!" at a potentially innocent (and who IS innocent in the eyes of the law) young man who is facing decades in prison isn't ideal, and obviously him playing if he is guilty is not, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSC72
A federal judge literally told Illinois it had to treat Shannon as any other student athlete, as he has been convicted of exactly the same number of crimes as you have. Sitting an All American would quite clearly be violating the judge's orders, as there is zero reality where Shannon is ever benched without these allegations. Iowa would be doing the EXACT same thing, period.

Honestly impressed that the OP had the restraint to add "alleged" in his post. Even if you are not inclined to assume someone is innocent until proven guilty, the evidence in this case appears especially light. It's a very delicate situation, and I acknowledge that. But I think your average non-Illini fan is taking more of a one-sided view of this than your average Illini fan here ... assuming he's guilty from the jump without looking at anything about the case and chanting "Lock him up!" at a potentially innocent (and who IS innocent in the eyes of the law) young man who is facing decades in prison isn't ideal, and obviously him playing if he is guilty is not, either.

Why didn't Illinois appeal the decision and keep him suspended? Well, we know the reason.

Playing basketball is a privilege, it is not a right. And even if the very last appeal court forced Illinois to put him on the bench, Brad Underwood does not have to play him.

There's this thing called a student code of conduct. And when the student's conduct is far from desirable, there usually are consequences at a university.

Last edited:
Honestly I hope the students take the high road. I don’t know the facts of his case, but what if Shannon is innocent?

He’s playing at a different school than where the alleged crime occurred because a judge ordered so. It’s a far cry from the shitshow that Alford helped create with his “come to Jesus” meeting and Pierce’s victim having to share a space with him.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Why didn't Illinois appeal the decision and keep him suspended? Well, we know the reason.

Playing basketball is a privilege, it is not a right. And even if the very last appeal court forced Illinois to put him on the bench, Brad Underwood does not have to play him.

There's this thing called a student code of conduct. And when your conduct is far from desirable, there usually consequences at a university.

Still major legality issues…I believe Underwood intended not to play him…🤷‍♂️ But If he comes back innocent and can prove irreparable damage to his earning potential as a result of the slander and benching, he wouldn’t have to make the NBA anymore to be rich…

As for his basketball skills. I’m not super impressed. Gross jump shot, poor mans Jaden Ivey without the same level of athleticism in my mind.

Actually, the thread title comes from an Ellington song.

Treat yourself to the rendition with Mahalia Jackson doing the vocals.

Reactions: WSC72
Actually, the thread title comes from an Ellington song.

Treat yourself to the rendition with Mahalia Jackson doing the vocals.

I did not know that was a song. Thanks, I did listen to it. Pretty impressive, but my vote would go to the Jimmy

Or, do we take the high road?
5462805_0.jpg

Reactions: Tunadog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT