ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins update: He is keeping his options open regarding Next Season

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
In October, Tony indicated that this would be his last season at Iowa.

I hope he has a change of heart & returns.

The story from today:

Iowa Basketball's Tony Perkins won't decide Future with Program until after the Season

Tyler Tachman

Des Moines Register
Feb 22, 2024

EAST LANSING — Iowa basketball guard Tony Perkins is waiting until after the 2023-24 season to decide his future basketball plans, though he is keeping his options open.

Perkins, who is in his fourth season with the Hawkeyes program, has the opportunity to return to college basketball for the 2024-25 campaign because of the extra eligibility granted due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He could also pursue a professional basketball career.

Perkins hasn’t closed either of those doors.

“Right now, I haven’t really been thinking too much on it,” Perkins told the Register. “I got an extra year (of college eligibility) if needed. But it all comes down to the end of the season. If it’s a spot for me to come back and it’s a way for me to come back, I will consider it, of course. If other options open up, then I’ll go the other way. It all depends.”

Perkins has been phenomenal for Iowa this season. He is averaging career-highs in points (15.2), rebounds (4.3), assists (4.2) and steals (1.7) per game. Perkins’ case for making an All-Big Ten team has some significant momentum.

It would be a big development if Perkins were to return to Iowa next season, giving the Hawkeyes a high-level, veteran playmaker to go along with some exciting, younger building blocks. Payton Sandfort could return next season, too, though he will likely also have a decision of his own to make following this season.

If Perkins would decide to move on from the program, the keys at point guard could potentially be given to Brock Harding. The undersized but crafty freshman guard has shown flashes of electrifying play this season and has given reason to believe he can lead the Hawkeyes’ offense in the future.

But before making a choice, Perkins is focusing on this season. The Hawkeyes, who have rattled off two resume-building wins in a row, are in a frantic chase to try to earn an NCAA Tournament bid. Iowa (16-11, 8-8) has four regular season games left and then the Big Ten tournament to try to build their case to make the Big Dance.

“I’m just focused on right now,” Perkins said about his future. “Then once that time comes, I have my meeting with the coaches, I’ll worry about it then.”

Reactions: Mohawkeye and Torg
Wait. Is Sandford EXPECTED to go to the draft next season?

would not surprise me if Payton at least attends the NBA Combine.

Last year, in May, 78 players attended the NBA Combine. Zach Edey & Coleman Hawkins (Illinois) were 2 of the 78. Both Edey & Hawkins got evaluated, got feedback on what they needed to work on, and returned to school.

Payton is clearly a top 50 player at the moment. I think the same thing will happen with him. He'll attend the NBA Combine, get evaluated, get feedback on what he needs to work on and (hopefully) return to Iowa for another year.

Last edited:
Reactions: warriors dad
We Want You Back Season 4 GIF by The Office

Givony (ESPN) and Vecenie (Athletic) both had Sandfort as a 2nd round pick in their mock drafts this week. I kind of doubt he leaves, but he's got a bigger decision than I think people realize.

Of course he is getting evaluated

Sorry that I was not more clear.

Last year, in May, 78 players attended the NBA Combine. Zach Edey & Coleman Hawkins (Illinois) were 2 of the 78. Both Edey & Hawkins got evaluated, got feedback on what they needed to work on, and returned to school.

Payton is clearly a top 50 player at the moment. I think the same thing will happen with him. He'll attend the NBA Combine, get evaluated, get feedback on what he needs to work on and (hopefully) return to Iowa for another year.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
Givony (ESPN) and Vecenie (Athletic) both had Sandfort as a 2nd round pick in their mock drafts this week. I kind of doubt he leaves, but he's got a bigger decision than I think people realize.

There are not many guarantees, of course, when you get picked in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft.

Joe Wieskamp was picked in the 2nd round (#41 overall) by the Spurs in the 2021 NBA Draft. Joe has made some good money in his first 2 seasons. He's been bouncing around to different G-League teams here in year 3.

This is what he made his first 2 seasons:

..$202,068: 2021-2022 (Spurs)

$2,175,000: 2022-2023 (Spurs)
....$734,261: 2022-2023 (Raptors)
$3,111,329: TOTAL
================

Lol Payton is not clearly a top 50 player. Get real.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Tony needs to go. I love him as a person, but if he returns that means another season of less than optimal point guard play. Tony has always been better suited to play the 2, but has been forced into the PG spot because Joe T and Ulis never figured it out.

Now, with Harding on the roster, Iowa finally has a PG that understands how to play the position better than anyone going all the way back to maybe Dean Oliver. Harding makes his teammates better, he gets them buckets. Yes, he needs to work on his outside shot and overall strength, but I am confident that will happen this summer.
(I would also like to see Bowen get some run)

If he gets really hot at the end of the season and the hawks make some noise in the NCAAs I could see him going. But more than likely I think he’s the kind of guy that wants to come back to enjoy his senior year and play with his brother. The chance to move up from a 2nd round to a 1st can prove to be worth a lot of money and job security.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Tony needs to go. I love him as a person, but if he returns that means another season of less than optimal point guard play. Tony has always been better suited to play the 2, but has been forced into the PG spot because Joe T and Ulis never figured it out.

Now, with Harding on the roster, Iowa finally has a PG that understands how to play the position better than anyone going all the way back to maybe Dean Oliver. Harding makes his teammates better, he gets them buckets. Yes, he needs to work on his outside shot and overall strength, but I am confident that will happen this summer.
(I would also like to see Bowen get some run)
What is suboptimal about his point guard play? He leads the team in assists and has better than a 2-1 assist turnover ratio. He scored the winner for us on a tough drive. What more do you want from your point? I didn’t used to be a fan, but he’s proven me wrong. I think sometimes people have trouble adjusting their opinions when facts change. He’s a very good point.

Im a Harding fan, btw.

Will be interesting to see how these players are reranked after the season. Here is one view (doesn’t make it a consensus) from back in October. Also ranking college players isn’t the same as draft rank for the NBA.

It
What is suboptimal about his point guard play? He leads the team in assists and has better than a 2-1 assist turnover ratio. He scored the winner for us on a tough drive. What more do you want from your point? I didn’t used to be a fan, but he’s proven me wrong. I think sometimes people have trouble adjusting their opinions when facts change. He’s a very good point.

Im a Harding fan, btw.
It's not that I don't like Tony, just that I don'y like him as a PG. He doesn't create anything for other players, his assists are just passing to the open player who makes the shot (something that anyone could do). He holds the ball (or dribbles in place) too much. Brock is constantly going somewhere with the ball or quickly moving the ball, always looking for ways to attack and/or set someone up.

Again, it's not that I don't like Tony, just that I don't like him at the point and if he comes back next year, he would be spending a majority of his time at the point. (Dix needs to be on the court)

It

It's not that I don't like Tony, just that I don'y like him as a PG. He doesn't create anything for other players, his assists are just passing to the open player who makes the shot (something that anyone could do). He holds the ball (or dribbles in place) too much. Brock is constantly going somewhere with the ball or quickly moving the ball, always looking for ways to attack and/or set someone up.

Again, it's not that I don't like Tony, just that I don't like him at the point and if he comes back next year, he would be spending a majority of his time at the point. (Dix needs to be on the court)
It

I’m sorry, but you don’t get 15 assists in one game simply by passing to the open guy. If you watch any good point guard, Brock included, they spend sometime pounding the ball in place when surveying the defense. He’s come a long ways this year, I think it’s time we acknowledge that he actually is a pretty good point guard.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Tony has an opportunity to go to a potential contender for an NCAA tourney run and get paid. At the same time he can get some much needed defensive coaching and play the 2 position that he's much better suited for. This could be a good use of that bonus year for him to make some decent free agent money and improve his skills for playing pro ball. It probably won't be in the NBA, but he has enough tools to make some money overseas.

Tony has an opportunity to go to a potential contender for an NCAA tourney run and get paid. At the same time he can get some much needed defensive coaching and play the 2 position that he's much better suited for. This could be a good use of that bonus year for him to make some decent free agent money and improve his skills for playing pro ball. It probably won't be in the NBA, but he has enough tools to make some money overseas.
IDK about 2 guard as this is usually a scorer/shooter. He definitely is not a 3 pt assassin. And he's not a lock down defender. Maybe he could be with better coaching. He's athletic, but he doesn't bring it enough on D & seems to disappear at times.

Tony, to me, is a player that plays hard and gets the most out of his ability most of the time. I think he plays point out of necessity and is more of a 3 in a 2 body. If he comes back fine, but if he doesn't, will Iowa be able to get someone of equal or greater value from the portal? Recent history says probably not.

Yes he did. Very nice achievement. Doesnt equate to pro ball however. Maybe coaching , announcing etc
He could have a nice career playing pro ball overseas.

A lot of pro league options were discussed in another thread re PMac.

My personal favorite is the Philippine Basketball Association.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
In October, Tony indicated that this would be his last season at Iowa.

I hope he has a change of heart & returns.

The story from today:

Iowa Basketball's Tony Perkins won't decide Future with Program until after the Season

Tyler Tachman
Des Moines Register
Feb 22, 2024

EAST LANSING — Iowa basketball guard Tony Perkins is waiting until after the 2023-24 season to decide his future basketball plans, though he is keeping his options open.

Perkins, who is in his fourth season with the Hawkeyes program, has the opportunity to return to college basketball for the 2024-25 campaign because of the extra eligibility granted due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He could also pursue a professional basketball career.

Perkins hasn’t closed either of those doors.

“Right now, I haven’t really been thinking too much on it,” Perkins told the Register. “I got an extra year (of college eligibility) if needed. But it all comes down to the end of the season. If it’s a spot for me to come back and it’s a way for me to come back, I will consider it, of course. If other options open up, then I’ll go the other way. It all depends.”

Perkins has been phenomenal for Iowa this season. He is averaging career-highs in points (15.2), rebounds (4.3), assists (4.2) and steals (1.7) per game. Perkins’ case for making an All-Big Ten team has some significant momentum.

It would be a big development if Perkins were to return to Iowa next season, giving the Hawkeyes a high-level, veteran playmaker to go along with some exciting, younger building blocks. Payton Sandfort could return next season, too, though he will likely also have a decision of his own to make following this season.

If Perkins would decide to move on from the program, the keys at point guard could potentially be given to Brock Harding. The undersized but crafty freshman guard has shown flashes of electrifying play this season and has given reason to believe he can lead the Hawkeyes’ offense in the future.

But before making a choice, Perkins is focusing on this season. The Hawkeyes, who have rattled off two resume-building wins in a row, are in a frantic chase to try to earn an NCAA Tournament bid. Iowa (16-11, 8-8) has four regular season games left and then the Big Ten tournament to try to build their case to make the Big Dance.

“I’m just focused on right now,” Perkins said about his future. “Then once that time comes, I have my meeting with the coaches, I’ll worry about it then.”

I appreciate the good things Tony has done for Iowa, but it would be best for the program for him to move on.

He turns the ball over a lot (And at inopportune times) and he is not a great shooter.

Let the young guys continue to develop chemistry. Perkins being absent will help with that chemistry.

The last Iowa player that can use the portal as an excuse to get a 5th year. Good luck to him. He's still not a point guard!

I appreciate the good things Tony has done for Iowa, but it would be best for the program for him to move on.

He turns the ball over a lot (And at inopportune times) and he is not a great shooter.

Let the young guys continue to develop chemistry. Perkins being absent will help with that chemistry.
I liked Perk but he forced a lot when the pressure was turned up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT