ADVERTISEMENT

Common Kinnick Stadium complaint

As always, your full of it. Your question was "Gaps?".

You see, most people people when they ask a question and want a specific answer, ask a specific question. They don't ask question like "Gaps?" or "Why?" because they are looking for a specific answer to their question. In the context of what you were questioning, it led everyone to believe you were asking stupid questions. Yes, there is such a thing.

Then of course, as you do what you do, you added to the question making it appear as if you were asking something else.
I'd like to know why you think we need to add 5000 seats that would be empty now?

Last edited:
I actually saw the assistant AD speak last week. He said the south end zone renovation was paid for by luxury boxes in the press box. The north end zone is just a proposal at this point. That said, this athletic department can certainly raise money. Just don't be surprised if it takes 5 years.

As always, your full of it. Your question was "Gaps?".

You see, most people people when they ask a question and want a specific answer, ask a specific question. They don't ask question like "Gaps?" or "Why?" because they are looking for a specific answer to their question. In the context of what you were questioning, it led everyone to believe you were asking stupid questions. Yes, there is such a thing.

Then of course, as you do what you do, you added to the question making it appear as if you were asking something else.

Gaps was actually the perfect, most concise version of that question, proved by being answered perfectly shortly thereafter.

I'm not adding to the question, you appeared to ask for further clarification with your idiotic snark.

Why should Iowa add more? What does that enable to improve?

What why do you think I was asking?

The context of what was being said was that Kinnick needs to add more seats. You asked, "Why?"
I'd like to know why you think we need to add 5000 seats that would be empty now?

Never said we should add 5,000 seats, but I can understand why it'd be a good idea.

The short answer? Lost revenue.

I think it's fairly obvious that when Iowa's teams are expected to do well or are doing well, tickets are in high demand. This year not so much, but there are factors there that weren't always there before.

Let's just use the 2009 season for example. Tickets were in extremely high demand that season and the 70k stadium couldn't meet that demand. It drove ticket prices up for people who tried to scalp tickets. That season, Iowa could have easily filled an 80k+ stadium. That's 10,000 tickets worth of lost revenue. That's $600k of lost revenue per game at $60/ticket.

It doesn't matter that there are some seasons you won't be able to fill an 80k seat stadium. What does matter is that you are able to meet the demand when it is high. A season like the 2009 season carried over into the 2010 season because expectations were high.

If you're building a new stadium or even thinking about adding seats, you don't build or add with the mindset of what you believe will fill the stadium every game. You build or add with the mindset of being able to meet demand when it's at it's highest.

You could even add 10,000 seats, drop the ticket prices by $5 (making them more affordable and attractive) and still generate more revenue than having a 70k stadium assuming they both sell out. In a season like 2009, they would have most certainly sold out as well as the early parts of 2010.

Gaps was actually the perfect, most concise version of that question, proved by being answered perfectly shortly thereafter.

It was answered by providing a picture showing the gaps that you didn't know were there; which is why I questioned you about actually going to the games. If you do go to the games, then it's further proof that you go to the games for reasons of stature because you are completely oblivious to what's around you.

Reactions: Senor Martinez
The entire industry of college football and sports in general are going to a world of less capacity, as ticket scarcity is good for the ticket sellers. Iowa will not be adding capacity to Kinnick, they'll be adding more luxury suites.

Reactions: TankHawk
Yes I don't see them adding seats but adding luxury boxes and club seats. Like mentioned above, they should fill in the gaps around the North End and make it connecting.

Also, feel pretty strongly they should add some corn stalks to the corners in the SE and SW sections. Would look cool and we are Iowa BTW

Reactions: GarryO37
The context of what was being said was that Kinnick needs to add more seats. You asked, "Why?"

Never said we should add 5,000 seats, but I can understand why it'd be a good idea.

The short answer? Lost revenue.

I think it's fairly obvious that when Iowa's teams are expected to do well or are doing well, tickets are in high demand. This year not so much, but there are factors there that weren't always there before.

Let's just use the 2009 season for example. Tickets were in extremely high demand that season and the 70k stadium couldn't meet that demand. It drove ticket prices up for people who tried to scalp tickets. That season, Iowa could have easily filled an 80k+ stadium. That's 10,000 tickets worth of lost revenue. That's $600k of lost revenue per game at $60/ticket.

It doesn't matter that there are some seasons you won't be able to fill an 80k seat stadium. What does matter is that you are able to meet the demand when it is high. A season like the 2009 season carried over into the 2010 season because expectations were high.

If you're building a new stadium or even thinking about adding seats, you don't build or add with the mindset of what you believe will fill the stadium every game. You build or add with the mindset of being able to meet demand when it's at it's highest.

You could even add 10,000 seats, drop the ticket prices by $5 (making them more affordable and attractive) and still generate more revenue than having a 70k stadium assuming they both sell out. In a season like 2009, they would have most certainly sold out as well as the early parts of 2010.

Attendance at college games all across the country is decreasing as technology has made watching at home on your big screen HD TV extremely attractive. There will always be people like me who want to attend the games in person even if doesn't make economic sense but we are a dying breed. Look at what is happening with student ticket sales almost everywhere and it is clear that the future of attending college football will be lower attendance with higher admission charges and added amenities to those willing to pay more.

Attendance at college games all across the country is decreasing as technology has made watching at home on your big screen HD TV extremely attractive. There will always be people like me who want to attend the games in person even if doesn't make economic sense but we are a dying breed. Look at what is happening with student ticket sales almost everywhere and it is clear that the future of attending college football will be lower attendance with higher admission charges and added amenities to those willing to pay more.

Iowa is a different animal than the majority of the other college football teams. They compete with ISU and UNI for a fan base and it's not really a competition. There is no NFL team. Hell, there isn't another pro sports team in Iowa. When your team is losing, sure, Iowa fans would rather stay home and watch than go to the games. But when Iowa is winning, fans pack the stadium and it would benefit Iowa to add more seating to meet that demand.

The Iowa fan support will always be there, and Iowa fans will pack the stadium every Saturday when we are winning. There is literally nothing else better to do on an Iowa Saturday than watch the Hawkeyes play great, exciting football. Iowa football is the only program worth watching in the state of Iowa.

Most other programs either have a NFL team in their state or the compete for fans with another big school. Iowa's situation is unique and should take full advantage.

Reactions: Senor Martinez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT