ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Nelson Brands!

The Vak

HR All-American
Jan 25, 2002
Nelson just won his second state title, and if Trackwrestling's Dashboard is to be believed, it was a 11-9 barnburner. Nelson had 5 TDs to Lara's 1, but Lara also apparently got backs. Great job Nelson! I look forward to the video!

EDIT: This is, of course, Nelson's second title. My bad. Thanks to rafferty for the correction.

My bad. I thought he lost last season for some reason. Second title.

Lara caught him in a nice cradle with about 5 seconds left in the 2nd. Would have been interesting if he had more time with it.

Reactions: BeefHerky
Lara cradled Brands while Brands was in on a shot and got his head too close to his knee. This happened right at the end of the 2nd period and the count on the backers was a close one. I believe it was then 8-6 Lara.

Brands started down in the 3rd, got out and aggressively got another takedown to make it 9-8, then released him and got another takedown to secure the win with about 30 seconds left. Certainly not afraid to pull the trigger!! Congrats to Nelson!!

Lara cradled Brands while Brands was in on a shot and got his head too close to his knee.

One thing about Nelson is that due to his over aggressive style of wrestling he takes a lot of bad shots, a lot.

He's normally able to overcome them because of his high motor as he just keeps going forward. I'd really like to see him against some more elite opponents.

It will be very interesting to see how he grows in this sport.

Reactions: Exo
One thing about Nelson is that due to his over aggressive style of wrestling he takes a lot of bad shots, a lot.

He's normally able to overcome them because of his high motor as he just keeps going forward. I'd really like to see him against some more elite opponents.

He's a throwback

I'm not sure Cayd placed in the top 5 last year. I think he was somewhere around 6-8. He's shown some tremendous growth this year. Should be some more battles in store barring any weight class moves.

I have only seen him wrestle a few times, but I think you have a point. against the better wrestlers he does get in some pickles...BUT...I think it is refreshing to see young wrestlers "popping the clutch" and "letting 'er rip"...even if they get in a little trouble doing that at this stage.

I think his progression has been very solid and he still is nowhere near his ceiling. I can think of a number of polished HS wrestlers that would not take those risks at this stage and I tend to think that can limit their future, should they desire to go on to high level D1 wrestling and beyond.

Keeping the pedal down I say, you can clean up the technical inconsistencies later in college. I love to see someone wrestle without fear like Nelson does.

Go back and watch this Gibbons vs Lewboo match. Not exactly perfect technique but it was fun to watch. Nelson needs to learn how to ride and turn and not leave that trail leg up close to his head. Other than that...let her rip. Hats off to Lara for staying with him for 5:30.

I agree. I was wondering if he could ride. he is great on his feet but he had very little interest in riding

Reactions: Azchief32
Go back and watch this Gibbons vs Lewboo match. Not exactly perfect technique but it was fun to watch. Nelson needs to learn how to ride and turn and not leave that trail leg up close to his head. Other than that...let her rip. Hats off to Lara for staying with him for 5:30.

How about next time hats on and Lara gets the win? Savvy? Good talk.

I have only seen him wrestle a few times, but I think you have a point. against the better wrestlers he does get in some pickles...BUT...I think it is refreshing to see young wrestlers "popping the clutch" and "letting 'er rip"...even if they get in a little trouble doing that at this stage.

I think his progression has been very solid and he still is nowhere near his ceiling. I can think of a number of polished HS wrestlers that would not take those risks at this stage and I tend to think that can limit their future, should they desire to go on to high level D1 wrestling and beyond.

Keeping the pedal down I say, you can clean up the technical inconsistencies later in college. I love to see someone wrestle without fear like Nelson does.

I agree 100%.

Thanks Chief. Anyone know the name of the guy smoking a cigarette on the Iowa State bench. Around 2:35 on the video.

Reactions: hogghawk
Thanks Chief. Anyone know the name of the guy smoking a cigarette on the Iowa State bench. Around 2:35 on the video.

I was laughing when I saw that. Brings my memories back to the first college meet I went to in the old field house. It seemed like you were walking into a wild fire with all the smoke and it was loud as could be. Really liked that place.

Reactions: Azchief32
Great job Nelson now get with weights and grow to 165 for next year.

Judging by his flex after winning Nelson is quite familiar with the weights/strength training.

I could see him at 160 next year and then be in line to be our next 157 after a year at the OTC and a RS season.

If anyone sees video of the match uploaded anywhere, let me know!

Great job Nelson now get with weights and grow to 165 for next year.
He looked huge for 152. I think all 3A kids with an eye on the title were are all avoiding Coleman at 160. Brands will do 160 next year is my guess. I know every kid is different and want parents to do what's best for their kid, but it holding your kid back seems to happen a lot in wrestling and basketball. I know Faught from Clear Lake did 8th grade twice. Johnson from Dike was held back at some point. Brands was obviously. Even Connor McCaffrey is 19 in a few weeks. Moving around has nothing to do with it. I can understand if the kid can't keep up with the grade he is supposed to be in, but having your kid constantly have to compete with older kids in the same grade as a youth gets old.

Reactions: Ruthvenhawk i
If so, I wonder if this was a repeat grade type thing due to Terry and family moving around as Nelson was growing up.

Or could started school late or done junior kindergarten. Doesn't necessarily mean something was done for athletic reasons. Plus it isn't like Brands would suddenly suck if he were a senior.

He looked huge for 152. I think all 3A kids with an eye on the title were are all avoiding Coleman at 160. Brands will do 160 next year is my guess. I know every kid is different and want parents to do what's best for their kid, but it holding your kid back seems to happen a lot in wrestling and basketball. I know Faught from Clear Lake did 8th grade twice. Johnson from Dike was held back at some point. Brands was obviously. Even Connor McCaffrey is 19 in a few weeks. Moving around has nothing to do with it. I can understand if the kid can't keep up with the grade he is supposed to be in, but having your kid constantly have to compete with older kids in the same grade as a youth gets old.

Except Coleman was at 170.

It may not have anything to do with grades, like what my brother did with one of his boys just started him in Kindergarten a year later just thought it would be beneficial for him education wise going forward and it seemed to pay off as he ended up Val. of his class. So it is kind of silly to guess or assume why some one is a little older than their classmates. As long as it beneficial for the student going forward that is all that should matter. IMHO

Reactions: nearfall2
Man people r so wrapped up on how old kids are for their grade. Big Fn deal. This gets brought up about every month on this forum

Let me tell from experience about students moving to Iowa from another state. Education level is always brought up, no matter the age group. It's a matter of practicality as Iowa has top 1-2 public schools in the nation.

I thought Nelson got second last year. Didn't someone make a comment that he did not look happy n the podium? Congrats to him also.

I'm not sure Cayd placed in the top 5 last year. I think he was somewhere around 6-8. He's shown some tremendous growth this year. Should be some more battles in store barring any weight class moves.

He took 7th as a freshman and 8th last year. I think dropping further down the podium last year kind of sparked him up. Seemed like he was a little burnt out last year.

Some students are a few months older in their class and some are a few months younger. I was 8 months younger than some of my classmates. Nelson could have just had a BD 2-3 months ago making him 18.

It may not have anything to do with grades, like what my brother did with one of his boys just started him in Kindergarten a year later just thought it would be beneficial for him education wise going forward and it seemed to pay off as he ended up Val. of his class. So it is kind of silly to guess or assume why some one is a little older than their classmates. As long as it beneficial for the student going forward that is all that should matter. IMHO
Lots of schools encourage boys to start later because they are not mature enough. Starting later allows them to work at their developmental age and they do better in school. Some parents don't want the stigma (like some dumb ass writing crap on a message board) so they put them in school and watch them struggle for years. I have no idea what his situation is and I don't care. He is an entertaining wrestler.

Some students are a few months older in their class and some are a few months younger. I was 8 months younger than some of my classmates. Nelson could have just had a BD 2-3 months ago making him 18.

Being 18 in February of your junior year is beyond the cutoff in Iowa. Maybe the age cutoffs are different in Colorado where he started school.

Also, I don't see anyone talking shit about his age. I just wasn't aware at all until a few days ago that he's already 18 and it's worth mentioning. There is no doubt that age is a massive advantage in high school sports where kids are developing and many freshman are not even finished with puberty. This is why it's so rare to see freshman state champs outside the lighter weight classes. I'm not taking anything away from Nelson at all. He's a stud wrestler. I love his very active, aggressive, and offensive style and he has a great outlook and attitude. I really hope he continues to succeed and ends up at Iowa. There is no reason for people to get defensive or hostile over pointing out his age however and the very obvious potential advantage that age has.

TJ Sebolt was also held back prior to his freshman year if I recall correctly. Again, doesn't take anything away from their wrestling ability, but it is undoubtedly an advantage. It's by no means "writing crap about them" to point this out.

Reactions: Ruthvenhawk i
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT