ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Patrick McCaffery

Maybe he knows the stamina limits of his players better than you or any fans? Whether they are having other issues, etc.? Otherwise I have no idea why he wouldn't just ride a player until he drops.

;)
It almost looks like he's doing exactly that with Patrick sometimes.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I know not every one will agree with this, because some on here are so contrary, they will argue anything, but Patrick was solely responsible for the Hawks getting off to a fast start and playing in front for 95% of the game. How nice is it to not have to dig ourselves out of a hole at home?

It almost looks like he's doing exactly that with Patrick sometimes.
Hardly. PMac tends to play in 4 minute segments. He's averaging less than 25 mpg. I think it should be closer to 20 so that he can give constant and consistent effort, and Iowa doesn't really need him to play more than that with the depth it has at forward. This team is build for hounding teams defensively and running more.

God...does anyone else question what the hell Fran is thinking with his substitution patterns? Patrick starts the game, hits two threes and a nice pull up midrange...and at the 5 minute mark Fran sits him for 6 or 7 minutes. What the hell. He was on fire...and he didn't look winded...there were several stoppages in play early in the game.

I know Jordan hit some big threes in this game...but I would love to see Fran put his most athletic team on the court for a stretch of 6-7 minutes. Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, and the two Murrays (or Rebraca for Kris). Here's the thing. These guys are excellent defensive players. Having two point guards in the game who can penetrate and score at the rim is also important. They both can create for others.

But the most important thing is that these guys create turnovers, and they get to loose balls. Watch...when Connor and Jbo are in the game...we lose the 50/50 balls and rebounds. This has always been the issue with Iowa against elite teams...we can't get to loose balls and can't match physicality and speed.

This is the first team Fran has had that can defend in a man to man situation on the perimeter...but it's not with JBo in the game. Every team we play man against...just attacks him relentlessly. We now double quickly when they inevitably try to take him down low. That's smart...but let's just try our quickest and most physical team for awhile.

I thought Fran did a good job yesterday. Patrick got off to a fast start and helped keep Iowa in the game in the first half. I did not think Kris was aggressive in looking for his shot in the first half and he ended up sitting more in that half.

Credit to Kris in that he really stepped it up in the second half and played more minutes. The same went for Tony yesterday. Everyone who played was solid on the defensive end of the floor, including Jordan. You have some valid points for the season, but I do not think that this post was very applicable to yesterday’s game.

Hardly. PMac tends to play in 4 minute segments. He's averaging less than 25 mpg. I think it should be closer to 20 so that he can give constant and consistent effort, and Iowa doesn't really need him to play more than that with the depth it has at forward. This team is build for hounding teams defensively and running more.
You're not paying attention. He's averaging 30 over the last 3 games. I don't know if he came out in the second half of the Minnesota game.

He took PMac out at 5 minutes. Unless he has an illness we don't know about...I don't get that. Sometimes college games can get continuous play for 4-5 minutes where the guys are gassed and you need the TV timeout or a timeout to get subs in. Yesterday was not the case...there were several stoppages of play.

I'm not taking a guy out who's hot at 5 minutes...that was all I'm saying. At that point...Patrick had earned a "heat check" and was a go to test his hotness. Trust me, heat checks are real...and you ride the guy who is feeling it.

God...does anyone else question what the hell Fran is thinking with his substitution patterns? Patrick starts the game, hits two threes and a nice pull up midrange...and at the 5 minute mark Fran sits him for 6 or 7 minutes. What the hell. He was on fire...and he didn't look winded...there were several stoppages in play early in the game.

I know Jordan hit some big threes in this game...but I would love to see Fran put his most athletic team on the court for a stretch of 6-7 minutes. Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, and the two Murrays (or Rebraca for Kris). Here's the thing. These guys are excellent defensive players. Having two point guards in the game who can penetrate and score at the rim is also important. They both can create for others.

But the most important thing is that these guys create turnovers, and they get to loose balls. Watch...when Connor and Jbo are in the game...we lose the 50/50 balls and rebounds. This has always been the issue with Iowa against elite teams...we can't get to loose balls and can't match physicality and speed.

This is the first team Fran has had that can defend in a man to man situation on the perimeter...but it's not with JBo in the game. Every team we play man against...just attacks him relentlessly. We now double quickly when they inevitably try to take him down low. That's smart...but let's just try our quickest and most physical team for awhile.
I am not sure where your seats are but from the second row Patrick looked completely exhausted when Fran subbed him out. He doesn’t have great stamina and he played mighty hard and was very effective when he was in there.

Didn't weezy guard the opponent 3 last year when he averaged around 6.8 rebounds per game? So it is your contention PMAC playing the same position and averaging 3.4 rebounds in 24.4 mpg is a solid rebounding job?

Kris Murray, PMAC's backup averages 4.5 rebounds in 17 min per game. That is a solid job, but he's PMACs backup.

Lundy the guy PMAC is guarding gets 5 rebounds and PMAC gets 2.

PMAC did manage to get a couple blocks, normally he just whiffs and gives up layups.

PMAC has some upside but he needs to actually attack the boards instead of being soft and watching Rebraca and the Murrays fight for rebounds.
Kris is Rebracas backup.

You're not paying attention. He's averaging 30 over the last 3 games. I don't know if he came out in the second half of the Minnesota game.

Every starter besides Keegan came out in the second half vs Minn when Iowa was up 21. 3:06 later, that lead was cut to 13. Patrick did come back in and play the rest of the half (16:54).

62ea62.jpg

Last edited:
The 5 is pretty much the only spot Kris has played at Iowa.

Late in the second half he played the 4, we brought Rebraca in for Keegan. And PMac was on the floor. He’s also played the 3 on occasions when we have Rebraca and Keegan out there. It’s rare cuz we don’t have a back up 4 other than Kris.

Late in the second half he played the 4, we brought Rebraca in for Keegan. And PMac was on the floor. He’s also played the 3 on occasions when we have Rebraca and Keegan out there. It’s rare cuz we don’t have a back up 4 other than Kris.
Thats why I said pretty much.

Connor plays the 4 when Fran does the hockey line change. Kris at the 5 Sandfort at the 3. Lately he's keeping Keegan in longer, cutting Sandfort out and putting Connor at 3.

My point was Kris rarely ever subs for anyone except Rebraca even though he probably should sub for others frequently.

Thats why I said pretty much.

Connor plays the 4 when Fran does the hockey line change. Kris at the 5 Sandfort at the 3. Lately he's keeping Keegan in longer, cutting Sandfort out and putting Connor at 3.

My point was Kris rarely ever subs for anyone except Rebraca even though he probably should sub for others frequently.

Agreed

He got outrebounded by our point guard that played 20 minutes. Let’s not go crazy. He was competent on offense. Defense wasn’t offensive. Not saying much just tells you how low the bar is.
Now do you actually urinate directly into the punch bowl, or do you urinate into a cup in the bathroom and then pour the urine in the punch bowl?

Reactions: perryhawk
I am not sure where your seats are but from the second row Patrick looked completely exhausted when Fran subbed him out. He doesn’t have great stamina and he played mighty hard and was very effective when he was in there.
Oh, I'm pretty sure his "seat" is a cheeto stained sofa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT