ADVERTISEMENT

Connor McCaffery is joining the Butler staff. Will join Patrick this season & Jack next season

An assistant D1 basketball coach at the age of 26. Good for him. It will be interesting to see how quickly he moves up in the coaching ranks.

GXUCD9vWkAAnaGx

I guess it depends on whether Jack is a future star or not as to whether Butler fan's stay enamored with becoming McCaffery University. PMAC is not going to be much of a difference maker as player this coming season, so his performance won't matter a lot.

Looks like T. Matta plans to exit in a couple years and the fix is in for Fran to take over and be able to coach Jack.

I guess it depends on whether Jack is a future star or not as to whether Butler fan's stay enamored with becoming McCaffery University. PMAC is not going to be much of a difference maker as player this coming season, so his performance won't matter a lot.

Looks like T. Matta plans to exit in a couple years and the fix is in for Fran to take over and be able to coach Jack.
I agree. Great opportunity for Cmac. You do have to wonder how things go if Jack is Pmac the 2nd. For the record I think Jack will be a good college player. maybe not right away but eventually. You do have to wonder if this has been in the works for awhile with Pmac transferring there and Jacks commitment.

I mean he really earned this one right?!? Hope he does well but let’s call it like it is.
If only everyone had those strings to pull when needed.

Congrats to Connor.
Well it certainly seems to have been worked out, BUT it did take an assistant leaving to pull it off, unless that had been in the works.....
I think the cards fell the right way at the right time. The last name certainly helped, but D1 assistants make a significant amount of money. ADs answer to the president of the university. There has to be a certain amount of merit to the hire otherwise you risk a lot of negative publicity. Iowa fans don't have to look far or long to see that. But it in the short term it puts a lot of interest into following Butler. I enjoy following the Big East during the season so at least it gives me another reason to watch.

Reactions: amahawk
I think the cards fell the right way at the right time. The last name certainly helped, but D1 assistants make a significant amount of money. ADs answer to the president of the university. There has to be a certain amount of merit to the hire otherwise you risk a lot of negative publicity. Iowa fans don't have to look far or long to see that. But it in the short term it puts a lot of interest into following Butler. I enjoy following the Big East during the season so at least it gives me another reason to watch.
Most guys have to work their way up as a grad assistant, video guy, director of operations, etc. They aren’t just handed jobs without the connections and last name. It’d be a little like the Brian Ferentz hiring at Iowa, but at least Cmac is at a different school and has probably earned it more than Brian (being named offensive coordinator).

Last edited:
I mean he really earned this one right?!? Hope he does well but let’s call it like it is.
Maybe Matta really liked the leadership of Connor in games and felt he was a good fit in replacing the coach leaving.
Matta knows Fran for sure and fans assume Fran asked for a favor but maybe Matta would have hired Connor without Fran asking.
Fans don't really know how it went down. Only assumptions.

Maybe Matta really liked the leadership of Connor in games and felt he was a good fit in replacing the coach leaving.
Matta knows Fran for sure and fans assume Fran asked for a favor but maybe Matta would have hired Connor without Fran asking.
Why don’t you go try and get a job with Thad Matta and report back how it goes.

Or………….. maybe it’s more like it looks. I’d be less skeptical if the job was offered without his brother transferring there and the youngest accepting a scholly as well. It’s just a bit to coincidental for me. But hey…….just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Butler head coach Thad Matta:

"Following a high-level playing career, Connor has had the opportunity to both contribute and learn alongside one of the best staffs in the NBA. Those experiences will be very valuable to our staff. He obviously comes from a basketball family that I know very well and I'm excited for the impact he is going to have on our program both quickly and in the long run."

Or………….. maybe it’s more like it looks. I’d be less skeptical if the job was offered without his brother transferring there and the youngest accepting a scholly as well. It’s just a bit to coincidental for me. But hey…….just my opinion.
And you could be right.
It's all opinion. Fans will never know unless they were sitting at the table when it all went down.

I don't claim any specific knowledge as to what Patrick and Jack were looking for when they selected Butler as the school they would transfer to/attend. But if the idea of experiencing college without being the coach's son was attractive on any level to either of them, I wonder how they feel about now being the coach's brother.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT