ADVERTISEMENT

Considering the obstacles Iowa faced this year

Something has to change. I’m in favor of a staff shakeup. I am especially in favor of bringing in an assistant without ties to Iowa.

Tom and Terry are rather set in their ways. I'm convinced outside top-level staff would be told "this is how we do it at Iowa".

Reactions: MilleGinja
You're being naive to think TnT didn't have a pretty good idea what the gambling fallout was going to be before they went after Caliendo and Franek.

I asked MSU for the math...throw me some numbers to get that loss of 20-25 points.
And I responded with it almost immediately…

More than that. Easily 25.

I don’t have a big problem with the performance this weekend. But even factoring in the gambling misfortune we will still end up 70 points behind PSU. That isn’t acceptable. Ever.

Things need to change at iowa and I question whether Tom Brands is a guy willing to make the necessary changes. He’s been a fantastic coach for a very long time, but he has not evolved.

If we enter next season with the same coaching staff I will be highly disappointed.
Well, prepare thyself…

Reactions: MVPFAN
You're being naive to think TnT didn't have a pretty good idea what the gambling fallout was going to be before they went after Caliendo and Franek.

I asked MSU for the math...throw me some numbers to get that loss of 20-25 points.

No one is doing that. The timeline with the loss of Chittum and PK’s surgery fits much better.

And the points have been laid out for you. The fact you don’t understand the point difference between mid level all Americans and guys who only win a couple matches (let alone having a non qualifier at a weight) is rather interesting though.

More than that. Easily 25.

I don’t have a big problem with the performance this weekend. But even factoring in the gambling misfortune we will still end up 70 points behind PSU. That isn’t acceptable. Ever.

Things need to change at iowa and I question whether Tom Brands is a guy willing to make the necessary changes. He’s been a fantastic coach for a very long time, but he has not evolved.

If we enter next season with the same coaching staff I will be highly disappointed.
Anybody remember him defending Kirk a few years ago? It’s dawned on me that he wasn’t so much defending Kirk as he was defending himself! We aren’t competing with the top dog but you all should be happy that things aren’t worse!

I am thrilled that we are currently sitting in second place (even though by a razor thin margin). Says more about the abilities of our coaches than many are giving them credit for. Super bummed about the point record being in jeopardy tho.
Happy Fx Networks GIF by Cake FX

They sure as heck couldn't wait until after the season started/final decision to get replacements.

I strongly believe the biggest loss from the gambling probe was Nelson Brands. He was on a roll and his trajectory was straight up. He was wrestling as well as anyone and could have been a top three guy. That is a good addition in points. Cass is top five all day long. Those two alone would have us in a solid second place. Everyone forgets about Assad. He had All American potential as well. I wouldn't pick him in the upper half, but a threat to be 5-8 again, that is significant points from a weight we scored zero. Let's be real. The gambling probe HURT. We can be upset by the distance PSU has created and that would be fair. Iowa has the support and resources to compete for national titles as we did in 2021 when we brought home the team title, but to not acknowledge that losing Brands, Assad and Cass had a HUGE impact on our team this year is unfair and not realistic.
Gambling probe hurt but it also highlighted the gap between us and Fun State. Van Ness gets hurt at 149 and they bump a true freshman 141 lber (backup) who goes on to finish 3rd. He also looks bigger and more developed than our starter. I don’t think they should fire everyone but I do think we need to bring in someone with some new ideas. It worked out well when Iowa and Penn State brought in head coaches from outside the program. I think we should start with an assistant.

Gambling probe hurt but it also highlighted the gap between us and Fun State. Van Ness gets hurt at 149 and they bump a true freshman 141 lber (backup) who goes on to finish 3rd. He also looks bigger and more developed than our starter. I don’t think they should fire everyone but I do think we need to bring in someone with some new ideas. It worked out well when Iowa and Penn State brought in head coaches from outside the program. I think we should start with an assistant.
Unfortunately assistants have little power or ability choose a course of action. They are there to represent/back up the head coach. The head coach sets the tone.

One of the problems I see with the Brands philosophy today is the way they are handling strength and conditioning of our wrestlers. The Dan gable philosophy is no good in today’s world of folk wrestling. Look at the number of breaks in each match. Between reviews and blood time outs these wrestlers are getting numerous breaks in pretty much each match. Gable and the Brands believe in out conditioning the opponent. Today’s wrestling is more athletic and our opponents at every weight seem bigger and quicker. We get in on legs and go straight to our belly with head down. We need new blood injected into our philosophy and the brands need to adapt. I personally would like to see reviews ended. It’s not helped the sport. If two officials can’t make the right call then they need to find different officials. Will they be 100 percent right? No, a high percentage are right. The review in the 125 pound championship match is a great example of ruining the sport.

Gambling vs no gambling.

157...Franek 8th, Cobe NP
165..Calliendo 4th with bonus vs PK borderline AA.
174..PK vs NB 4/5
184..Zilch vs Assad 7/8
Hwt Hill vs Cass 4/5

That's 20 points????

Not a chance.
Brands beat Plott twice last year.
Cassioppi beat Davison twice last year.

No one can say for certain what would have happened, but I think the best cast scenario would have had Brands and Cassioppi in the finals.

Last edited:
Brands beat Plott twice last year.
Cassioppi beat Davidson twice last year.

No one can say for certain what would have happened, but I think the best cast scenario would have had Brands and Cassioppi in the finals.
Davison improved a lot this year and you forgot about Hendrickson. Brands beat Plot at 174 where he is best, Plot was cutting too much there. Brands certainly could have made the 174 final this year if he had been on the bottom of the bracket.

Davison improved a lot this year and you forgot about Hendrickson. Brands beat Plot at 174 where he is best, Plot was cutting too much there. Brands certainly could have made the 174 final this year if he had been on the bottom of the bracket.
I am not forgetting. Cassioppi may have improved as much as Davison, maybe not. Brands defense may have stymied Plott at 184 just like 174, maybe not. We'll never know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT