ADVERTISEMENT

Consolidated Response To The Ferrari Threads

bman546

HR MVP
Nov 16, 2008
Yes, we have all seen the video from Soldier Salute... It is beyond outrageous and something out of a bad movie about pro wrestling.... But, even though me might be surprised at how over the top it was, are any of us surprised AJ Ferrari caused/created a scene or fiasco? no none of us are. That should tell you something. Ask yourself, in an effort to have a top level 197# in the line up, which only lasts 2-3 years, does it create a very bad look and reputation to the Iowa program may last many years? The reputation that Iowa has no standards, no class, and will take on anyone no matter what if they're really good at wrestling. To make it even more of a head scratcher, it all went down with an opponent that is an Iowa wrestler, and with the Iowa coaches in the opposite corner. This really does provide an idea that maybe the young man has a screw loose, can't help himself, doesn't understand consequences for actions in the moment, or he is just an insufferable jackass. The last part was clear in 2021. if this is how they act when everyone is watching, what are they like when they think nobody is watching? The rumors are probably a good indicator of that. Lastly, an individual in the room such as AJ, runs the risk of being a virus, contributing to a very bad atmosphere and culture etc. I for one, had high hopes he had matured, and would join the program and contribute... Past behavior is indicative of future behavior.... and his actions are not a one/off moment or mistake but a pattern of being a jackass.

I have been a die hard Hawkeye wrestling fan since the Gary Kurdelmeier days... and, the current state is certainly disappointing, but Iowa is still a top program and the times have placed us in the Sanderson/PSU era for now. With that said, Iowa is the team everyone loves to hate. Why? Because Iowa was so dominant for so long. Other team's and other fans banded together to hate Iowa, which was coupled with Iowa's fierce aggressive physical style (now known as Iowa Style-even though it isn't demonstrated and practiced anymore by Iowa wrestlers like in the past). Having an AJ Ferrari on the team, especially after the latest antics, actually justify the Iowa hatred and will be hard to shake for years to come. Yes, it will damage the Iowa Wrestling brand. If AJ never competes for Iowa, but trains out of the Iowa wrestling room the virus and disruption is still there. Conclusion: Cut AJ loose. Lay down the rules, and expectations of behavior on and off the mat for Anthony (existing assault charges-on probation with deferred sentence) and Angelo with zero tolerance. If they choose to stay, they know the requirements.

Yes, we have all seen the video from Soldier Salute... It is beyond outrageous and something out of a bad movie about pro wrestling.... But, even though me might be surprised at how over the top it was, are any of us surprised AJ Ferrari caused/created a scene or fiasco? no none of us are. That should tell you something. Ask yourself, in an effort to have a top level 197# in the line up, which only lasts 2-3 years, does it create a very bad look and reputation to the Iowa program may last many years? The reputation that Iowa has no standards, no class, and will take on anyone no matter what if they're really good at wrestling. To make it even more of a head scratcher, it all went down with an opponent that is an Iowa wrestler, and with the Iowa coaches in the opposite corner. This really does provide an idea that maybe the young man has a screw loose, can't help himself, doesn't understand consequences for actions in the moment, or he is just an insufferable jackass. The last part was clear in 2021. if this is how they act when everyone is watching, what are they like when they think nobody is watching? The rumors are probably a good indicator of that. Lastly, an individual in the room such as AJ, runs the risk of being a virus, contributing to a very bad atmosphere and culture etc. I for one, had high hopes he had matured, and would join the program and contribute... Past behavior is indicative of future behavior.... and his actions are not a one/off moment or mistake but a pattern of being a jackass.

I have been a die hard Hawkeye wrestling fan since the Gary Kurdelmeier days... and, the current state is certainly disappointing, but Iowa is still a top program and the times have placed us in the Sanderson/PSU era for now. With that said, Iowa is the team everyone loves to hate. Why? Because Iowa was so dominant for so long. Other team's and other fans banded together to hate Iowa, which was coupled with Iowa's fierce aggressive physical style (now known as Iowa Style-even though it isn't demonstrated and practiced anymore by Iowa wrestlers like in the past). Having an AJ Ferrari on the team, especially after the latest antics, actually justify the Iowa hatred and will be hard to shake for years to come. Yes, it will damage the Iowa Wrestling brand. If AJ never competes for Iowa, but trains out of the Iowa wrestling room the virus and disruption is still there. Conclusion: Cut AJ loose. Lay down the rules, and expectations of behavior on and off the mat for Anthony (existing assault charges-on probation with deferred sentence) and Angelo with zero tolerance. If they choose to stay, they know the requirements.
As much of a bonehead AJ has become, I'll admit that I WAS surprised at AJs actions this past weekend. After mowing down a woman on a highway, being acussed of rape, never did I think he'd lose his mind like that when a program seems to be giving him another chance. And did it the very first chance he could start to prove to his new University and to haters like me that I have him all wrong.

You still clicked on it and read it......
I clicked on it thinking it was something original - it wasn't. No, I only read about 2 lines and realized it was the same rehashing. I read your post because "the bell" said you responded to mine. Cheers.

I was in the ‘give him a chance’ corner … until the SS debacle. I love Iowa wrestling and I want us to compete … and I’m all about bringing in the best talent.

I will say my opinion on AJ joining the team is changing. OP is correct. What impact might he have in the wrestling room. Any type of “us” versus “them” mentality is not healthy (if that were to happen)… For a guy (AJ) having a somewhat new start -‘this was a terrible decision and “look” if you truly have thoughts of wrestling again.

Reactions: grapplefann
I dont know, Penn State survived Sandusky, why cant we survive a bit of acrobatic middle fingers in the face. There is some food for thought.
Because Iowa is treading water while PSU is in a speedboat. Just surviving isn’t what the school wants. They want to improve and move forward.

Sanderson’s plan wasn’t to win titles but to make PSU and the NLWC the premier wrestling training area in the country. It goes beyond the college program.

Tough to cut AJ for his behavior out there on the mat on a single day when it is just slightly a level above what Terry has been doing for 15+ years.

I thought we turned a corner when we started recruiting clean kids exclusively, but then there was a backslide with ADS, the flirtation with PD3, and now full-on whoring for the Ferraris. We get what the coaches earn.

Damn that’s your consolidated response? What’s your protracted response look like, War and Peace?

Tough to cut AJ for his behavior out there on the mat on a single day when it is just slightly a level above what Terry has been doing for 15+ years.

I thought we turned a corner when we started recruiting clean kids exclusively, but then there was a backslide with ADS, the flirtation with PD3, and now full-on whoring for the Ferraris. We get what the coaches earn.
This is great stuff...

This was even better stuff! You're my new fave!!
200w.gif

I am hoping he will continue to try to live the religious side of his life he seems to be delving into deeper since the SS debacle. In an interview he did recently along with an mma fighter who’s Christian also, basically said they know they are imperfect humans who are slowly trying to suppress their tempers when triggered. Slow work in progress. He seemed to keep his cool when dealing with these security people and the one at Carver. I’m for doing what John smith did, who got him at an even worse time. He was with them for almost 2 years before being dropped for the allegations that ended up a farce after waiting for a trial for over a year. Smith has been killing it in recruiting the last two years after the AJ experiment and getting a commitment from Anthony. Giving him a chance to actually be part of a structured team isn’t going to destroy our program. It would also be good for him, he has been flailing in the wind with no solid goals or direction for his life since leaving okystate. Also, treating Angelo like he is some problem child on his last chance the minute he hits campus, just because of his name, is really stupid and a good way to make him feel unwelcome from the get go.

I am hoping he will continue to try to live the religious side of his life he seems to be delving into deeper since the SS debacle. In an interview he did recently along with an mma fighter who’s Christian also, basically said they know they are imperfect humans who are slowly trying to suppress their tempers when triggered. Slow work in progress. He seemed to keep his cool when dealing with these security people and the one at Carver. I’m for doing what John smith did, who got him at an even worse time. He was with them for almost 2 years before being dropped for the allegations that ended up a farce after waiting for a trial for over a year. Smith has been killing it in recruiting the last two years after the AJ experiment and getting a commitment from Anthony. Giving him a chance to actually be part of a structured team isn’t going to destroy our program. It would also be good for him, he has been flailing in the wind with no solid goals or direction for his life since leaving okystate. Also, treating Angelo like he is some problem child on his last chance the minute he hits campus, just because of his name, is really stupid and a good way to make him feel unwelcome from the get go.
The religious zeal has always been strong in this one. Don’t kid yourself.

“Wherever he goes, the people all complain…” GD

damn this gets old... and it has been rehashed a 1000 times with all the same old $hit and the same old rhetoric. Seriously do you think we could move on and encourage other possible recruits to come to Iowa because of the POSITIVE POINTS of attending Iowa and not getting trashed NON STOP on the board and most of it comes from PSU trolls who love to fire up the crowd here? I guess the lack of more strict admins makes this a great place for the keyboard warriors to thrive and trash people but seriously it is so stale. When it gets so old hat that you now have to resort to busting on a kids religious views you should just get off the computer and go back to playing your own miserable role in society and enjoy the weather in State College.

This is what's known as a rationalization. AJ has had every chance to be contrite, but just now he wants forgiveness? God forgives, but we should cut this guy loose.

This is what's known as a rationalization. AJ has had every chance to be contrite, but just now he wants forgiveness? God forgives, but we should cut this guy loose.
We don’t have a commitment from him, so how can we cut him loose? Nobody know how hard if at all the Brands are still after him. Anthony verbally committed but I never heard about him signing a letter of intent. Angelo actually signed his letter.

Bump, why not...
So, Angelo on the mat and brothers and pops in the stands.

Would there be wagers on family members getting booted from CHA? Maybe an over/under on families combined ejection total.

Would the bets be on run ins with the law? Maybe conviction ratios in play? Time sentenced vs time served?

Last edited:
Reactions: PD4thespawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT