ADVERTISEMENT

Consumer sentiment jumps more than expected to highest since July 2021

dgordo

HR Legend
Nov 15, 2001
Chicago
The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index climbed to 78.8 in January, vs. 70.0 consensus, from 69.7 in December.

The index now is at its highest level since July 2021, as consumers remained confident that inflation is heading south, with inflation expectations softening further during the month.

"Over the last two months, sentiment has climbed a cumulative 29%, the largest two-month increase since 1991 as a recession ended," said Surveys of Consumers Director Joanne Hsu.

"Sentiment has now risen nearly 60% above the all-time low measured in June of 2022 and is likely to provide some positive momentum for the economy. Sentiment is now just 7% shy of the historical average since 1978," she added.

Expectations: 75.9 vs. 67.0 consensus and 67.4 prior.

Current Conditions: 83.3 vs. 73.0 expected and 73.3 prior.

Year-ahead inflation expectations fell to 2.9% from 3.1% in the previous month. The latest reading is the lowest since December 2020 and is now within the 2.3-3.0% range seen in the two years before the pandemic.

Five-year implied inflation also slipped to 2.8% from 2.9% in December.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Thanks Brandon!

I may have to adjust my 3 and 5 year outlooks downward because this is terrible news.

Reactions: dgordo
Market is roaring again today.
China's lagging economy seems to be the biggest concern worldwide.

I do wonder if US economic growth continues to look robust if the Fed will keep rates high vs market expectations of 1st half rate cuts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT