ADVERTISEMENT

Cooper DeJean : "who said I was leaving" on Instagram live!!!!!!!!

I highly doubt that the "university" can take out an insurance policy on an individual player to protect his pro potential......
Your doubt is misplaced because a university can indeed allocate monies to a student services fund for a variety of student athlete purposes, including permanent total disability insurance with a rider for loss of value.

IMO I think Cooper is just having a blast being a college dude who plays football real good. He's a breath of fresh air in a perverted sports world of me first and the bottom line is the only thing that matters to many. I would dance and sing for days if he decides to come back next season, just like I did when Luka came back for his final year. Here's hoping he's back next year, but I would totally understand if he decides to leap into the draft as well.

Last edited:
1) How much NIL money is available? If Caitlin leaves, Cooper could take over HyVee, think of friendly smile in every aisle commercial with Cooper “waving”
2) where is his brother going to college? If he’s coming to Iowa, that is true once in lifetime opportunity he would never get back.
3) Insurance is there w his current draft stock that if he got injured, still bigger payout than most of us see in our lives.

By all accounts I've seen and read, Cooper is a very humble and down-to-earth guy. He doesn't strike me as the type who would troll the Hawkeye fanbase.

IF he truly made that statement, I believe he has either decided to stay one more year, or is leaning that way.

All true, however, you cannot put a price tag on life moments and happiness. None of us here know what DeJean really wants, and whatever he wants, he should do it and not worry about what anyone else thinks.
Idk, as a person that lived my life as an artist, making decisions for decades driven by that philosophy, I'm more than comfortable telling any kid to get the cash they can, while they can.

Plenty of time for life moments while playing pro football, or retired in your 30s--- bank balance secure, you can afford a place to live that has a bedroom, some name brand food at the grocery store, and you don't have to ride your motorcycle in the snow.

Blow a knee in college for what? Go get paid, and if you eventually have kids they will never worry either.

Reactions: kkhawk
Common sense dictates different strokes for different folks. If he wants to play another year at Iowa then that doesn't necessarily make him a fool. Happiness and contentment cannot be bought.
Agree 100% with you. Whatever he decides I am a fan of his no matter what and the reason for his decision is his and does not have to line up with those that disagree. Simple as that.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Playing another year could prove to pay off for Cooper:

If he improves his draft position, that will mean bigger $$

If he plays more on offense, he will be a
Heisman candidate, if not a front-runner. And at Iowa, that means immortality

At present, he is still on crutches after his surgery, so it can assumed to have been pretty serious. He may not be ready or full speed for the NFL Combine, which will cost him some draft positions and $$

He may want to play with his brother, which you can’t put a $$ on

All told, it seems quite reasonable he might return. There is significant upside to it, and some of it goes beyond money

At present, he is still on crutches after his surgery, so it can assumed to have been pretty serious. He may not be ready or full speed for the NFL Combine, which will cost him some draft positions and $$

All told, it seems quite reasonable he might return. There is significant upside to it, and some of it goes beyond money
The injury recovery aspect may have some merit. Demonstrating recovery through playing is alot more convincing than running drills. Maybe a chance there for him staying🤞.

First, I consider it highly unlikely he plays substantial snaps on offense if he comes back - if nothing else that runs counter to what we’ve ever heard from Kirk. Certainly not enough to ever warrant frontrunner status.

Second, depending on what the doctors were tell any scouts that came calling, I just can’t see that injury affecting his draft stock all that much, particularly if he’s able to still come to a pro day workout. We’re not talking a knee or ligament injury so it shouldn’t affect his mobility, or his availability in offseason camps once drafted.

I’d love to see him come back and play one more season, but I’m not sure he could improve his draft stock all that much.

Some people are not all about cash.
It's his life and I support whatever decision he makes and will not call him names either way.
Guessing he makes some pretty good money already. Every young Hawk fan I see is wearing his jersey

Idk, as a person that lived my life as an artist, making decisions for decades driven by that philosophy, I'm more than comfortable telling any kid to get the cash they can, while they can.

Plenty of time for life moments while playing pro football, or retired in your 30s--- bank balance secure, you can afford a place to live that has a bedroom, some name brand food at the grocery store, and you don't have to ride your motorcycle in the snow.

Blow a knee in college for what? Go get paid, and if you eventually have kids they will never worry either.
Again, all great points. Living with regret can suck too ... not regret about money and fame but maybe making history at the school you love. It really is a personal decision. Good luck to CDJ whatever he decides!

Re: not improving stock- Tell that to Jack Cambell and LaPorta
neither was the prospect that Cooper is. Not even close. A better comparison would be LVN. Both are athletic freaks. LaPorta and Jack were not. And the jury is still out on Jack in the NFL.

neither was the prospect that Cooper is. Not even close. A better comparison would be LVN. Both are athletic freaks. LaPorta and Jack were not. And the jury is still out on Jack in the NFL.

I will be *happily* shocked if Cooper comes out and is the front runner at his position for rookie of the year like Samwise. But, this would delve into perception versus reality and what their true value as prospects were. The evaluation and group think or what they actually provide in value their first 3 years in the league. We are already talking passed each other, so whatever.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Right now, he's sitting in that $13 million dollar range. One more good season and he'd be sitting in the $17-$22 million range. Have the university take out an insurance policy on you and comeback to raise your draft stock.
university can’t take it out but Cooper could take out a. Lloyds policy. I have arranged them for others.

Reactions: Niko13
One thing I'd remark upon that many folks here simply don't have context to comprehend ... but some guys are just obviously going to be successful in the league. The young man is going to get paid ... period. Thus, this isn't an issue about getting life-altering wealth that he'll never have a chance to get again. He's built himself up to a point where all he needs to do is continue along the trajectory that he's established for himself.

Kirk has mentioned this many times ... that money isn't going anywhere. You look at the wealth that some of these players have acquired. With good financial management skills ... they'll build a portfolio that will set themselves up (and their future generations) for life. When the market fluctuates ... they could money that scales on the order of their rookie contract ... and it still wouldn't change that they'd be filthy rich.

When folks are in this sort of position ... the question is less about the money itself ... but more about how you choose to live your life. Are you going to try to build a life of meaningful experiences ... or are you just going to try to build wealth?

1) How much NIL money is available? If Caitlin leaves, Cooper could take over HyVee, think of friendly smile in every aisle commercial with Cooper “waving”
2) where is his brother going to college? If he’s coming to Iowa, that is true once in lifetime opportunity he would never get back.
3) Insurance is there w his current draft stock that if he got injured, still bigger payout than most of us see in our lives.
Why would Hy-Vee drop Clark?

They wouldn't, and furthermore, she is going to be back next year to take the covid year based on the money she makes in NIL, she will lose that instantly in the WNBA.
Lots of fame and attention where she is right now. I agree, ride that til you can't no more.

They wouldn't, and furthermore, she is going to be back next year to take the covid year based on the money she makes in NIL, she will lose that instantly in the WNBA.
I don't think the endorsement deals she has right now will go away. The WNBA $ will be a bonus for her.

Keep in mind where these draft projections are coming from. I'm not saying it is likely, but maybe what Cooper is hearing from actual NFL insiders is a little different from the journalists
Like, they want to see how the injury heals and he performs.

Like, they want to see how the injury heals and he performs.
Some Teams will not touch Him round 1 until they see He is healthy and has not lost any speed so the duration of the recovery and rehab might push towards the combine . I hope He does what makes Him happy and selfishly I hope Iowa makes Him very very happy .

Reactions: Madman_1
Some Teams will not touch Him round 1 until they see He is healthy and has not lost any speed so the duration of the recovery and rehab might push towards the combine . I hope He does what makes Him happy and selfishly I hope Iowa makes Him very very happy .
It's not like he blew out a knee or anything like that. It's a broken bone. He'll most certainly be back to where he was within a year. Does anyone really know which bone(s) were broken? Fibula isn't even weight bearing. Tibia is a longer healing process and the nature of the break would dictate the time frame involved.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT