ADVERTISEMENT

Could it get any worse?’ REDUX

ukrainehawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2005
Could it get any worse?’ REDUX

Since so many of our fellow Board-writers have rejected both reason and references to Hawkeye history in their insistence that our team is at the edge of the precipice (already causing them to plummet to abject, finger-pointing despair and mass leaping off the Hawkeye-Ferentz Bandwagon), I offer you the following names:

Notre Dame. Stanford. UCLA. Oregon. Texas. Michigan State. Georgia. Cal. TCU. BYU. Texas Tech. North Carolina State. Pitt. Memphis. Temple. Tulsa. Mississippi State. Cincinnati.

All of these teams, including seven Big Ten teams, are among the NINETY Universities ranked BELOW the Hawkeyes in this week's CBS 128 Poll. So yes, it could get worse. Much, much worse.

Consider the list again. Take a deep breath. Based on the once-in-forever season of a year ago, the team hasn’t played up to the coaches’, players’ or fans’ (sometimes) unreasonable expectations this year. But it’s not the end of the world. Actually, as always, it’s good to be a Hawk. Can't wait for what comes next!

Sure, they're not terrible.

There is a vast middle between "the worst ever" and "everything's fine".

Could it get worse? Sure, it could be a lot worse. Iowa football history is full of many examples. However, it is frustrating to lose to teams we should beat, lose stud recruits when we are talent short to begin with, and have an offense that simply cannot attract the type of skilled players we need.

In my lifetime, Iowa has had two excellent coaches. Evy and Hayden Fry. Both of them had imaginative offenses that were fun to watch. That simply cannot be said about Iowa right now. Frustrating.

Lets see what this looks like in 4 weeks, I'm not expecting it to be good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT