ADVERTISEMENT

Court known for taking bribes decides bribes are ok

The absolute best (and presumably unbeknownst to the OP) part of this post is the fact that the opinion was premised on the distinction between bribes and gratuities.

lol, of course you’re here to defend it. It wasn’t a bribe, I postdated the check!!!
Actually, I'm perfectly fine attacking it, as long as not through ignorance, and preferably by more than just a thread title.

(For my money, my problems start with the unduly narrow construction of gratuities, simply as a bribe in arrears. It's actually broader than that, which on the one hand both explains why the existing federal sentencing distinctions noted by the court make sense, but on the other, do sort of support why you wouldn't federalize a single sentencing standard involving state officials. It's about as clear as the distinction between a facilitation payment under the FCPA and an impermissible bribe.)

Actually, I'm perfectly fine attacking it, as long as not through ignorance, and preferably by more than just a thread title.

(For my money, my problems start with the unduly narrow construction of gratuities, simply as a bribe in arrears. It's actually broader than that, which on the one hand both explains why the existing federal sentencing distinctions noted by the court make sense, but on the other, do sort of support why you wouldn't federalize a single sentencing standard involving state officials. It's about as clear as the distinction between a facilitation payment under the FCPA and an impermissible bribe.)
Right, it worked for 40 years until the court who is know for bribes takes a swing at it. That mayor should be in prison.

Right, it worked for 40 years until the court who is know for bribes takes a swing at it. That mayor should be in prison.
Well, not exactly. until a defendant asserted a defense. Maybe he should be in prison, but maybe Clarence Earl Gideon should have been too, right?

Reactions: TheCainer
Reactions: BrianNole777
This is a
The absolute best (and presumably unbeknownst to the OP) part of this post is the fact that the opinion was premised on the distinction between bribes and gratuities.

And all this talk of bootlegging? What’s bootlegging? On the boat, it’s bootlegging. On Lake Shore Drive it’s hospitality.

It was convenient the Court laid out the process to not be convicted: no explicit quid pro quo, politician takes an action, receives gratuity after = all good.

This is a

And all this talk of bootlegging? What’s bootlegging? On the boat, it’s bootlegging. On Lake Shore Drive it’s hospitality.

It was convenient the Court laid out the process to not be convicted: no explicit quid pro quo, politician takes an action, receives gratuity after = all good.
That theory works other than the whole problem with the statutory text around the bribery part including "soliciting" , agreeing, and corruptly. Front end Winks actually do count. But if you really want to tag 'intent to influence/access,' there was a certain foundation some years ago that got a TON of donations.

Well, not exactly. until a defendant asserted a defense. Maybe he should be in prison, but maybe Clarence Earl Gideon should have been too, right?
Maybe he should be in prison?? Lmfao

Prosecutors said James Snyder was heavily in debt and behind in paying his taxes when he became mayor of Portage, Ind., in 2012. The city needed new garbage trucks, and the mayor took over the required public bidding. He spoke regularly with two brothers who owned a local truck dealership that also had financial problems, and he designed the bidding process so that only their two new trucks would meet all of its standards. He also arranged to have the city buy an older truck that was on their lot.

Two weeks after the contracts were final, the mayor went to see the two brothers and told them of his financial troubles. They agreed to write him a check for $13,000 for undefined consulting services.

Maybe he should be in prison?? Lmfao

Prosecutors said James Snyder was heavily in debt and behind in paying his taxes when he became mayor of Portage, Ind., in 2012. The city needed new garbage trucks, and the mayor took over the required public bidding. He spoke regularly with two brothers who owned a local truck dealership that also had financial problems, and he designed the bidding process so that only their two new trucks would meet all of its standards. He also arranged to have the city buy an older truck that was on their lot.

Two weeks after the contracts were final, the mayor went to see the two brothers and told them of his financial troubles. They agreed to write him a check for $13,000 for undefined consulting services.
You don’t seem to get the point. I get the jury convicted him. Under erroneous jury instructions apparently. Prosecute him under state law. Problem solved.

You don’t seem to get the point. I get the jury convicted him. Under erroneous jury instructions apparently. Prosecute him under state law. Problem solved.
I get the point. The point is that you are worse than the morons on this board because you’re not stupid. But you’ll support anything these radicals on the court do because of religion. Which right wing legal groups do you belong to? Be honest.

I get the point. The point is that you are worse than the morons on this board because you’re not stupid. But you’ll support anything these radicals on the court do because of religion. Which right wing legal groups do you belong to? Be honest.
Read all the words my friend. As I said, I think this starts from a fallacious dichotomy.

But the broader point is this: much as you might think to the contrary, there are in fact two very legitimate sets of legal arguments for pretty much every case that goes to the court. It’s ok to choose one — after all, they have to — but I start from a position of respecting the legitimacy of the arguments of people whose lives are on the line in one way or another

This is a nuanced and thoughtful post. Let's not ruin it by pretending $4 million dollars in "gratuities", or fishing junkets random citizens don't get to go on, doesn't corrupt a judge.
To the main point, no public official should accept anything more valuable than a $50 meal as a gratuity, or bribe, or whatever you want to call it. Corruption is not as endemic in the US as in other countries, but, this ruling and the inability of legislatures to craft laws against corruption is troubling.

This is a nuanced and thoughtful post. Let's not ruin it by pretending $4 million dollars in "gratuities", or fishing junkets random citizens don't get to go on, doesn't corrupt a judge.
To the main point, no public official should accept anything more valuable than a $50 meal as a gratuity, or bribe, or whatever you want to call it. Corruption is not as endemic in the US as in other countries, but, this ruling and the inability of legislatures to craft laws against corruption is troubling.
Wait what? This ruling doesn’t affect legislatures ability to do anything at all in this area. It’s a simple statutory construction case, not a constitutional one.

Wait what? This ruling doesn’t affect legislatures ability to do anything at all in this area. It’s a simple statutory construction case, not a constitutional one.
It’s truly tortured reasoning to invalidate a portion of a law because they don’t like Congress regulating state workers.

“I’m a textualist. Here are my six reasons for interpreting the statute this way…”

It’s truly tortured reasoning to invalidate a portion of a law because they don’t like Congress regulating state workers.

“I’m a textualist. Here are my six reasons for interpreting the statute this way…”

it’s actually very ordinary legal textual analysis, and if something’s unspoken here it is as gorsuch said the rule of lenity.

Either way congress can create a 201c mirror in 666.

Read all the words my friend. As I said, I think this starts from a fallacious dichotomy.

But the broader point is this: much as you might think to the contrary, there are in fact two very legitimate sets of legal arguments for pretty much every case that goes to the court. It’s ok to choose one — after all, they have to — but I start from a position of respecting the legitimacy of the arguments of people whose lives are on the line in one way or another
Blah blah blah. Tell us which group. You’ve been around long enough, lay your cards out. Hell I knew you would be the first to reply like I knew our old Russian stooge would be the first to reply to any post that mentioned Putin. Except your bat signal is Alito.

Blah blah blah. Tell us which group. You’ve been around long enough, lay your cards out. Hell I knew you would be the first to reply like I knew our old Russian stooge would be the first to reply to any post that mentioned Putin. Except your bat signal is Alito.
Actually Alito is my second least favorite justice up there. (And of course kav wrote the opinion).

The ruling needs to follow the law. If the law is flawed, the ruling shouldn't be blamed. We say we don't want activist judges making up laws, right?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT