ADVERTISEMENT

CR Washington 79, CR Jefferson 0

Good for Miles, and good for the kids. You gotta love HS sports. He got some kids to show up and believe in themselves.
Looking at the stats, great in-game adjustments by Coach Miles and co. Muscatine scored a TD on all three possessions they had in the first quarter. They were held to one field goal in the following three quarters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
It’s become a golf school.
Funny you mentioned that two years ago, reading this post reminded to have a look at the MVC Supermeet results to see which area kids are all playing varsity out of tryouts this year. Ya, Jeff definitely not a golf school. Finished dead lost by a LOT. Team score was a 427 I think. That means the best 4 of 6 scores that counted for their team total averaged around 107. Thats getting pretty close to DOUBLE bogey golf at the varsity level.

Funny you mentioned that two years ago, reading this post reminded to have a look at the MVC Supermeet results to see which area kids are all playing varsity out of tryouts this year. Ya, Jeff definitely not a golf school. Finished dead lost by a LOT. Team score was a 427 I think. That means the best 4 of 6 scores that counted for their team total averaged around 107. Thats getting pretty close to DOUBLE bogey golf at the varsity level.
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Oh, I just figured you picked a random minor sport to parody the famous Steve Alford quote. Just pointing out the irony that the one you chose might actually be worse :)
There was also some parodying of Steve Alford, that a fellow Hawkeye can appreciate!

I don’t think it was his fault as he was well liked by players and staff from what I heard. Sounded more like COVID took a toll with regards to players becoming ineligible then it snowballed with players leaving/quitting because they thought/knew they’d suck due to said ineligible players.

Washington loss tonight to Dubuque Hempstead.

That isn't Rob is it?

Good for Miles, and good for the kids. You gotta love HS sports. He got some kids to show up and believe in themselves.

And @iowanole1 Ish Kalolero is a great kid who was a classmate of my kid. His 250+ yards and 2, TDs has him up for KCRG Athlete of the Week. Poll on the right on a laptop and far down the page on mobile. Vote!..

Last edited:
Reactions: iowanole1
And @iowanole1 Ish Kalolero is a great kid who was a classmate of my kid. His 250+ yards and 2, TDs has him up for KCRG Athlete of the Week. Poll on the right on a laptop and far down the page on mobile. Vote!..
I voted for him already. He is a great kid! Hope he wins! I know his younger brother better. He is a great kid as well.

Wash vs. Jeff tonight. Same result as last year but a closer score. Wash won 21 - 13. Jefferson had a ton of penalties. Probably cost them the game.
Yep. I saw it too. You’re 100% right. Wash struck two big plays early but penalties for Jeff took one pick and one TD off the board. Plus they had two open and perfectly thrown TD passes just flat dropped. Credit to the Warriors for holding on, but the J-Hawks looked the better team. Shot themselves in the foot too often.

• Sad
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yep. I saw it too. You’re 100% right. Wash struck two big plays early but penalties for Jeff took one pick and one TD off the board. Plus they had two open and perfectly thrown TD passes just flat dropped. Credit to the Warriors for holding on, but the J-Hawks looked the better team. Shot themselves in the foot too often.
I was surprised Jeff abandoned the run as well like they did. I feel like if they would’ve stuck with it they would’ve wore Wash out. Were you there for the Freshman game?

I was surprised Jeff abandoned the run as well like they did. I feel like if they would’ve stuck with it they would’ve wore Wash out. Were you there for the Freshman game?
No, but I thought it got canceled? I only went because I’m a district coach and my college buddy from North Liberty knows I get a +1 into football games. He wanted to see this Jeff team under Miles, particularly Kalolero at RB. Who had some success when they got him outside the tackles, with both long TDs. He’ll get his TDs, so containing him to just two was good from Wash.

Last edited:
No, but I thought it got canceled? I only went because I’m a district coach and my college buddy from North Liberty knows I get a +1 into football games. He wanted to see this Jeff team under Miles, particularly Kalolero at RB. Who had some success when they got him outside the tackles, with both long TDs. He’ll get his TDs, so containing him to just two was good from Wash.
They played almost two quarters before the game was postponed until 9/25. In that time it felt like Jeff had 10-15 penalties. Another thing that was concerning was how undisciplined both the freshman and varsity was for Jeff. My son is on the freshman team for Wash and their coaches were telling them all week to not react to Jeff and their antics and they will have a lot of penalties.

They played almost two quarters before the game was postponed until 9/25. In that time it felt like Jeff had 10-15 penalties. Another thing that was concerning was how undisciplined both the freshman and varsity was for Jeff. My son is on the freshman team for Wash and their coaches were telling them all week to not react to Jeff and their antics and they will have a lot of penalties.
I thought both teams were pretty undisciplined on varsity. An official warned Wash about chattering as a J-Hawk receiver walked back on after going out on their side. And going into the locker room there was plenty of taunting the student section from the Warrior players. Each team put a cheap hit on the QB that got called. Jeff’s turned out to be far more costly as it drained minutes off the clock by gifting a first down when it should have been third and backed to the goal line. J-Hawk penalties were mostly holding and pass interference type stuff.

As far as the Freshmen, from what I have heard, you’re right that they’ll need some maturing.

Looks like my alma Mater has got it going again.

I am not at all trying to take away from what Coach Miles has done to build confidence with the kids. So I apologize if it comes off that way.

The state has intentionally paired the better, middle, and lowest teams together for their schedules. Jeff will not have to play anyone good outside of maybe 1 or 2 teams. It is done that way to not completely wreck these programs which is obviously paying off.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I am not at all trying to take away from what Coach Miles has done to build confidence with the kids. So I apologize if it comes off that way.

The state has intentionally paired the better, middle, and lowest teams together for their schedules. Jeff will not have to play anyone good outside of maybe 1 or 2 teams. It is done that way to not completely wreck these programs which is obviously paying off.
I hear ya to some degree, but they are beating badly some of the same teams that whipped them the year before. They beat a decent Muscatine team and have made 80 (!) and 70 point swings over Marshalltown and CR Washington in just one year.

Last edited:
I hear ya to some degree, but they are beating badly some of the same teams that whipped them the year before. They beat a decent Muscatine team and have made 80 (!) and 70 point swings over Marshalltown and CR Washington in just one year.

That's why I'm trying to give credit for making the big turnaround against the bad teams. I just can't get over that they will only play one team who has a shot at the playoffs with Prairie.

Again, not trying to take away from the great things they have done to improve that program.

That's why I'm trying to give credit for making the big turnaround against the bad teams. I just can't get over that they will only play one team who has a shot at the playoffs with Prairie.

Again, not trying to take away from the great things they have done to improve that program.
It is a huge turnaround. But they aren’t the 5th rated school in 5A. They are more middle of the pack. The combined record of the first 4 teams they beat was 3-13 before last night. The good news is that Jeff, like Wash, is a really young team.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
It is a huge turnaround. But they aren’t the 5th rated school in 5A. They are more middle of the pack. The combined record of the first 4 teams they beat was 3-13 before last night. The good news is that Jeff, like Wash, is a really young team.
I coach at Jeff and I know the students are pretty excited about the team. At least the girls are!

I coach at Jeff and I know the students are pretty excited about the team. At least the girls are!
You could really tell. Their fans were excited last night. It was good to see for Jeff. Unfortunately you would need to combine Jeff and Wash to really be able to compete with LinnMar or Kennedy.

While the football team getting back to (nearly) an even record must have been nice for the school, little did their fans know that they were watching future state champions: the coed cheerleading state champs. :p

I used to coach their stud male thrower(?) in club ball. Awesome gymnast. I could see him at Iowa one day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT