ADVERTISEMENT

CR Xavier to purchase Toyota Financial building for new middle school

EagleHawk

HB Heisman
Jan 16, 2002
Wonder if they tried to get the Aegon property on the corner? Maybe cheaper to remodel an existing building instead of building a brand-new complex? Probably need to add a gym to the site.
Co-worker told me that Mount Mercy University wanted the Regis site so that could be some of their funding, plus Regis was old and needing repairs.

CEDAR RAPIDS — Xavier Catholic Schools plans to purchase and remodel the former Toyota Financial Services building in Cedar Rapids into its new, consolidated Catholic middle school.

Xavier Catholic Schools plans to transform the three-story, 109,000-square-foot building and surrounding 11 acres of land at 5005 N. River Blvd. NE into a campus for sixth- to eighth-graders that replaces Regis Middle School and LaSalle Catholic Middle School.

The goal is to complete the remodel by August 2026, but the final timeline will be contingent on donor support and construction scheduling.

The property is valuated at about $10 million, according to the Cedar Rapids Assessor’s Office.

Funding options for purchasing and remodeling the building likely will include a capital campaign, in addition to budgeted savings, donations and a short-term loan, according to a news release Thursday from the school.

“The decision to remodel the Toyota Financial facility to serve as our new middle school marks an exciting milestone in this new chapter of Catholic education in our community,” said Chris McCarville, president of Xavier Catholic Schools. “This decision is the culmination of many years of conversations. … The mission of Xavier Catholic Schools is to form disciples unafraid to follow Jesus Christ. We believe this building and campus will help us carry out that mission even better for decades to come.”

The Toyota Financial Services building has remained mostly vacant since 2022.

Eight metro area Catholic schools united as a single corporation for preschool-12 grade called Xavier Catholic Schools as of July 1. Under this plan, Regis Middle School and LaSalle Catholic Middle School will consolidate into the single location.

Consolidating the middle schools will be a more efficient use of resources and ensure tuition is the same for all middle school students in the Metro Catholic school system, school leaders say.

“United LaSalle Catholic Middle School and Regis Middle School together in this space is an excellent opportunity for us to call to mind the reason why it is important for Catholic schools to exist and that is to form disciples of Christ,” said the Rev. Gary Mayer, Xavier Catholic Schools pastoral coordinator. “For students, the middle school years represent a pivotal time in their spiritual lives. By transforming this space into a Catholic school, we are creating a transformative environment in which students can have a more impactful and immersive experience as it relates to their faith development.”

A Middle School location feasibility study committee, which included 15 individuals representing metro Catholic parishes, school administrators, and a building expert, was formed early this year. The committee met regularly over the past six months to study options and provide a recommendation for consolidating the middle schools.

The committee made its official recommendation Aug. 27 to the Xavier Catholic Schools Board to remodel the Toyota Financial Services building. The board officially adopted a recommendation to move forward in a meeting Oct. 7.

“The decision to move forward with the remodel of Toyota Financial was the result of an extensive and deliberate process. In the end, we believe that reshaping this building and its grounds to our new middle school was in the best interest of our students, teachers, staff, and our greater community,” said Brian Talyat, chair of the Xavier Catholic Schools Board.

There are nearly 2,500 students in preschool-12 grade in the Xavier Catholic Schools.

Good move for them.

Can someone explain why North Liberty and St. Thomas More (who is making a huge addition) haven't started a process for building another Catholic high school in the area? We obviously have a growing population and the two nearest Catholic schools are both on the complete opposite sides of neighboring towns in Regina and Xavier. Guessing they are both 20-30 minutes away. Seems like the need is there but never hear anyone discuss this.

Wonder if they tried to get the Aegon property on the corner? Maybe cheaper to remodel an existing building instead of building a brand-new complex? Probably need to add a gym to the site.
Co-worker told me that Mount Mercy University wanted the Regis site so that could be some of their funding, plus Regis was old and needing repairs.

CEDAR RAPIDS — Xavier Catholic Schools plans to purchase and remodel the former Toyota Financial Services building in Cedar Rapids into its new, consolidated Catholic middle school.

Xavier Catholic Schools plans to transform the three-story, 109,000-square-foot building and surrounding 11 acres of land at 5005 N. River Blvd. NE into a campus for sixth- to eighth-graders that replaces Regis Middle School and LaSalle Catholic Middle School.

The goal is to complete the remodel by August 2026, but the final timeline will be contingent on donor support and construction scheduling.

The property is valuated at about $10 million, according to the Cedar Rapids Assessor’s Office.

Funding options for purchasing and remodeling the building likely will include a capital campaign, in addition to budgeted savings, donations and a short-term loan, according to a news release Thursday from the school.

“The decision to remodel the Toyota Financial facility to serve as our new middle school marks an exciting milestone in this new chapter of Catholic education in our community,” said Chris McCarville, president of Xavier Catholic Schools. “This decision is the culmination of many years of conversations. … The mission of Xavier Catholic Schools is to form disciples unafraid to follow Jesus Christ. We believe this building and campus will help us carry out that mission even better for decades to come.”

The Toyota Financial Services building has remained mostly vacant since 2022.

Eight metro area Catholic schools united as a single corporation for preschool-12 grade called Xavier Catholic Schools as of July 1. Under this plan, Regis Middle School and LaSalle Catholic Middle School will consolidate into the single location.

Consolidating the middle schools will be a more efficient use of resources and ensure tuition is the same for all middle school students in the Metro Catholic school system, school leaders say.

“United LaSalle Catholic Middle School and Regis Middle School together in this space is an excellent opportunity for us to call to mind the reason why it is important for Catholic schools to exist and that is to form disciples of Christ,” said the Rev. Gary Mayer, Xavier Catholic Schools pastoral coordinator. “For students, the middle school years represent a pivotal time in their spiritual lives. By transforming this space into a Catholic school, we are creating a transformative environment in which students can have a more impactful and immersive experience as it relates to their faith development.”

A Middle School location feasibility study committee, which included 15 individuals representing metro Catholic parishes, school administrators, and a building expert, was formed early this year. The committee met regularly over the past six months to study options and provide a recommendation for consolidating the middle schools.

The committee made its official recommendation Aug. 27 to the Xavier Catholic Schools Board to remodel the Toyota Financial Services building. The board officially adopted a recommendation to move forward in a meeting Oct. 7.

“The decision to move forward with the remodel of Toyota Financial was the result of an extensive and deliberate process. In the end, we believe that reshaping this building and its grounds to our new middle school was in the best interest of our students, teachers, staff, and our greater community,” said Brian Talyat, chair of the Xavier Catholic Schools Board.

There are nearly 2,500 students in preschool-12 grade in the Xavier Catholic Schools.
They’ve held off on long-term, deferred maintenance for a number of years while deciding next steps. Seems like a good location.

What would MMU need space for?

Are the Aegon towers empty?

30+ years ago that was buzzing out there.
Aegon moved out of the Edgewood complex about 6 years ago. The towers on the corner of Edgewood/42nd St were torn down about 2 years ago. They were damaged by the derecho and torn down to make way for new development, which appears at this point to be an urban jungle. The two buildings on Edgewood/N River Blvd are still there, but they are also vacant. It was a great place to work with all the food options on Edgewood/Blair Ferry.

Good move for them.

Can someone explain why North Liberty and St. Thomas More (who is making a huge addition) haven't started a process for building another Catholic high school in the area? We obviously have a growing population and the two nearest Catholic schools are both on the complete opposite sides of neighboring towns in Regina and Xavier. Guessing they are both 20-30 minutes away. Seems like the need is there but never hear anyone discuss this.
Frankly, I doubt either Regina or Xavier expand facilities too much.
Both enjoy the advantages of choosing whom to admit without bumping up a class in enrollment for sport's competition.
I kinda think there will be more "Christian" schools pop up similar to DM and Ankeny.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Both enjoy the advantages of choosing whom to admit without bumping up a class in enrollment for sport's competition.
I kinda think there will be more "Christian" schools pop up similar to DM and Ankeny.

Our tax money is flooding into these religious indoctrination institutions, so look forward of this from the people that teach kids Jesus could have rode on dinosaurs and that systematically rape kids and yet deny raped kids abortions! Yay, Kim!

Our tax money is flooding into these religious indoctrination institutions, so look forward of this from the people that teach kids Jesus could have rode on dinosaurs and that systematically rape kids and yet deny raped kids abortions! Yay, Kim!
Yeah, I saw another tweet today that 6,000 rape babies were born in MO because of lack of abortions. Feels like we should be hearing about more violent crime with that many rapes happening everywhere.

Many public school systems are a disaster. The left did this to themselves and unfortunately to many others.

Many public school systems are a disaster. The left did this to themselves and unfortunately to many others.
Unfortunately this is the truth. I was a small town public school kid and have mostly decent things to say about it. If the public schools across the state were meeting the needs of the parents, I don't think this would be much of an issue. Obviously with the fleeing to private schools, that should tell people that there might be a problem with some of the public schools in this state. Probably a great time for public districts to take a hard look at their philosophies and their finances and improve their product.

Unfortunately this is the truth. I was a small town public school kid and have mostly decent things to say about it. If the public schools across the state were meeting the needs of the parents, I don't think this would be much of an issue. Obviously with the fleeing to private schools, that should tell people that there might be a problem with some of the public schools in this state. Probably a great time for public districts to take a hard look at their philosophies and their finances and improve their product.
Where is your data for the "fleeing" claim? And your personal experience is not going to Trump the crazy Aunt Karen on Facebook who thinks her kids aren't being taught math but they can use a litter box or get transgender surgery at school?

• Haha
Where is your data for the "fleeing" claim? And your personal experience is not going to Trump the crazy Aunt Karen on Facebook who thinks her kids aren't being taught math but they can use a litter box or get transgender surgery at school?
I don't have any but by the reaction of most public school people supporters here and online, they see it as a giant issue which leads me to believe the numbers aren't good. I can surely look up what they are for the state though and come back in.

I am a supporter of public schools but also think people should have a choice when there is one to make. Most school districts in Iowa consist of only one option so not sure how relevant this is statewide outside of the urban sites.

Well...actually Xavier is expanding (as per this OP). And, as I posted several weeks ago, Regina has formed a task force to explore expansion options due to their rapidly expanding student population. More choice is a good thing.

I don't have any but by the reaction of most public school people supporters here and online, they see it as a giant issue which leads me to believe the numbers aren't good. I can surely look up what they are for the state though and come back in.

I am a supporter of public schools but also think people should have a choice when there is one to make. Most school districts in Iowa consist of only one option so not sure how relevant this is statewide outside of the urban sites.
Because many, many millions are being diverted to private schools for kids who already attend private school.

why do so many classrooms have para educators in the classrooms? never happens years ago.

is it a law? Disruptive kids hurt the education of others and it’s why people are leaving. Hell, lots of Catholic schools have kids that are not even Catholic going to them now.

What happens if Dems get legislative control and ends this school voucher grift post haste?
Will the Church come to the school’s rescue? (File this under “things I’d love to see!”)
I've cautioned our finance council to view ESAs as temporary to prevent scrambling if policies change. A new XCS middle school was being studied before legislative support for school choice.

What happens if Dems get legislative control and ends this school voucher grift post haste?
Will the Church come to the school’s rescue? (File this under “things I’d love to see!”)

It may be hundred years or longer for that to happen in Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT