ADVERTISEMENT

Crap like this is going to make it harder to have college football...

Then when the vaccine comes , I will go out. Just feels like people with kids and bills are going to have to work. I am lucky I am retired. I feel for young people. This would suck. The risk sucks but people have to work. I hope everyone will at least wear mask and try to minimize the risk and be smart about it.

Some projections for reaching "herd immunity" levels of 60-70% could take longer than developing & deploying a vaccine. 3-5 years.

According to Dr. Agus the medications they are using now take the illness period down to four days and lowers the chance of death. Not 3-5 years from now. It is NOW. 99% of people survive this. I don't want to catch it, just like I don't want to catch anything else.

Yesterday when I was teaching kids how to drive I saw 5 adults pass us on the highway on their cell phone. The person in front of us went on the Right shoulder three times, and over the yellow line once.

I listen to the doctors not the politicians.

We have 100,000 actual Americans dead in just over 2 months.
And still most people don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I am the first to admit I miss baseball.
But let's not kill off another couple of hundred thousand human beings because
some people want to get re-elected.

Let's honestly monitor this day by day.

a lot more Americans than that have died in the past two months

Reactions: J.Hawkeye
????
61h3QJpxytL._SL1500_.jpg

????

Leave my imaginary girlfriend out of this conversation.

I have covid right now. Would I deal with it for college football season? Absolutely. Am I a crazy college football fan? Absolutely. The problem is everyone in-between.
You serious? I hope you recover quickly. Do you mind saying what age range and your general symptoms?

I can’t recall what happened in 2009 H1N1. It affected younger population. Football and sports were played. Covid deaths seems to be a 40-50% death rate in adults 75+. I do a lot of driving for my job. I’m more likely to die in a car wreck than die from covid. It’s sad how every state has responded to long term facility and nursing home our breaks. These account for a lot of the numbers.

You serious? I hope you recover quickly. Do you mind saying what age range and your general symptoms?

I can’t recall what happened in 2009 H1N1. If affected younger population. Football and sports were played. Covid deaths seems to be a 40-50% death rate in adults 75+. I do a lot of driving for my job. I’m more likely to die in a car wreck than die from covid. It’s sad how every state has responded to long term facility and nursing home break outs. These account for a lot of the numbers.
I am in my late 20s. It sucks, worse than the flu. If I were older, especially with pre-existing conditions, I would strongly recommend taking precautions. It’s not a hoax as some like to push. But I would deal with it a couple of times for some football.

I am in my late 20s. It sucks, worse than the flu. If I were older, especially with pre-existing conditions, I would strongly recommend taking precautions. It’s not a hoax as some like to push. But I would deal with it a couple of times for some football.
Good luck. How long have you been sick?

Good luck. How long have you been sick?
Thank you. About two weeks now. The biggest thing for me is exhaustion. I’m usually up at 6 and start the day. Now, I get up at 6, knock out work for a few hours, then get incredibly tired. You won’t want to eat either, I have to force anything. I used to be a doubter on the severity of this virus, but God proved my ass wrong.

Nothing to fool around with for sure and I hope like heck that you get better soon! I have a couple of friends that contracted the virus. Thankfully they ended up getting over it quickly with nothing too serious happening to each one of them. This virus should have never made it out of China.
Everyone thought this was a hoax at first and I can give you many examples, but no one in this country except possible folks that have dealt with contagious diseases knew what was coming our way. We were so unprepared when this virus hit us due to decades of not having stockpiles, but we won't be next time. We are going to get back all that China has taken away from us. Again, hope you are starting to feel better.

I want sports back really bad as well as everyone else! Let's go Hawks!

Then when the vaccine comes , I will go out. Just feels like people with kids and bills are going to have to work. I am lucky I am retired. I feel for young people. This would suck. The risk sucks but people have to work. I hope everyone will at least wear mask and try to minimize the risk and be smart about it.
Ah yes the retired may have that option however, my 86 yr old FIL says he's going to do what he wants while being careful because he may not be upright and breathing the next day.
The Rona is not good but life has to go on for all of us really.

Reactions: ChrisVarick
Maybe or it might also reflect that normal functioning persons aren't at much risk with this virus. Will be interesting to see how this group of individuals is impacted. Hopefully, they all recover quickly without long-term impacts.

This is absolutely the case. In our area (which is certainly not an urban epicenter) they are doing more antibody testing and large numbers of people are testing positive without ever having known they had it. The police department in a small local city had close to a 90% positive antibody rate and none of them reported a history of serious symptoms, though some were hit by what they thought was bad flu/cold early in the year before all this stuff became publicized. I know personally quite a few people that have tested positive for active infection and most had zero symptoms and were only tested due to contact tracing (including a couple over 65 years old), the rest had very mild cold-like symptoms. Certainly it can be serious, especially for those with co-morbidities, and occasionally for otherwise healthy people, but it's becoming more clear that this is the exception rather than the rule.

Sounds like just what the politicians would love for you to say.

As an FYI, it’s a virus and people are going to get it. We all agree. 10 cases in Alabama hardly tell me that college football should be cancelled. My opinion, but your article is a snapshot by someone who doesn’t agree with opening up, and no more.

This is absolutely the case. In our area (which is certainly not an urban epicenter) they are doing more antibody testing and large numbers of people are testing positive without ever having known they had it. The police department in a small local city had close to a 90% positive antibody rate and none of them reported a history of serious symptoms, though some were hit by what they thought was bad flu/cold early in the year before all this stuff became publicized. I know personally quite a few people that have tested positive for active infection and most had zero symptoms and were only tested due to contact tracing (including a couple over 65 years old), the rest had very mild cold-like symptoms. Certainly it can be serious, especially for those with co-morbidities, and occasionally for otherwise healthy people, but it's becoming more clear that this is the exception rather than the rule.
What you are saying will be absolutely wonderful if it continues to be proven out with healthy populations. Still too early to go to far on that side of things for me, but I do like some of the trends. Also look at the Teddy Roosevelt. Something like 1K infected sailors and only 1 or 2 deaths. Let's continue to take care of each other and hope for best soon.

I think they need to not treat everyone the same. I wouldn’t mind the CDC coming out with something that tells people what their statistical chance of getting seriously ill or even dying.

The economy isn’t going to take this much longer.

As an FYI, it’s a virus and people are going to get it. We all agree. 10 cases in Alabama hardly tell me that college football should be cancelled. My opinion, but your article is a snapshot by someone who doesn’t agree with opening up, and no more.

With all due respect, did you even read the article? All it did was report that there were people who were working on a stadium renovation that ended up getting Covid. There was nothing in the story that suggested the person who wrote it was stating or implying that college football shouldn't be played. It was simply reporting that more than 10 works tested positive and based on what we know about the contagious nature of the virus, more workers at the site could have it.

If you disagree with the statement of the OP, fine, that's fair game, but be fair to what the story actually said and not what you wanted it say so you could complain about "the media".

Thank you. About two weeks now. The biggest thing for me is exhaustion. I’m usually up at 6 and start the day. Now, I get up at 6, knock out work for a few hours, then get incredibly tired. You won’t want to eat either, I have to force anything. I used to be a doubter on the severity of this virus, but God proved my ass wrong.

Best wishes to you on a swift and healthy recovery.

Reactions: slkoz and HawkFan59
Sensationalism city. Instead of “10 Members of Bryant-Denny construction crew test positive for COVID-19”, he tweets this:

Reactions: Jumping Carp

My neighbor, on the other hand, would not (and he's a big Hawkeye fan). He spent a week in an induced coma on a ventilator. He lost 35 lbs. About a month in the hospital and, close to a month at home now, he's still doing physical therapy and easily gets short of breath. He's about 6 years older than me (I'm 56) and was in excellent health.

Reactions: FlickShagwell

That's encouraging. Do you have a link to that info? Where was this? My wife and I have been saying for 6 weeks that the key to this is universal antibody testing so we can see who's had it and determine with better certainty if people can become re-infected.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT