ADVERTISEMENT

Credit Card Cash Back

What is everyone using for a credit card that offers the best cash back? I currently have a Master Card that would put 1% into my son's 529 college fund. Now that he's graduated, I'm looking for the best rewards/cash back card. I don't travel because I hate most people, so not sure the travel rewards card would be beneficial. I've done a little research and I haven't found anything above 2% without an annual fee. Anyone have a card they really like?
AMEX BLUE.

I only use it for gas and groceries (making it easier to track those two important expenses) and I get around $565 back each December. That's free money around Christmas.

Reactions: Hawkman98
595 per year (most of that is for lounge access). it's a lot and difficult to justify other than we got 90,000 miles for signing up, we both just turned 50 and are doing well financially, we used it on our big trip this year, and I will be flying more frequently into Charlotte now as my parents are in their 80s. We probably got 1/2 the value of the fee eating at the airport lounges for free on the long international trip, and then there is a value which is hard to attach to it on having good seats and peace of mind my carry on will always be carry on and not checked. If we weren't financially comfortable we wouldn't have it.
I have the AAdvantage card that is $99 per year. Because we are building this house and running as much of the expense through the card as possible I have Executive Platinum status and I think close to 400,000 miles right now. I just had a work conference in Cleveland and my flights were free, upgraded to First Class, free checked bags. We haven't paid for bags for years and I am guaranteed at the least the main cabin plus seats with the extra legroom. Even if we only flew once per year it would be worth it to me but I generally fly 3-5 times per year. I also get free lounge access if we are flying international.

Reactions: Tenacious E
As a cardholder you don't pay the transaction fee, you can choose a card without an annual fee, and if you're responsible you won't pay a cent of interest or late payment fees.
So who do you think is paying those transaction fees? Do you think the retailer is paying them? He is passing them along to you'

So who do you think is paying those transaction fees? Do you think the retailer is paying them? He is passing them along to you'
In most circumstances the price you are paying includes their credit card costs whether you pay with cash, debit or credit.

Yes, the retailer pays them. Some retailers may offer a cash discount, but in my day to day experience, the price I pay is the same whether I pay in cash or credit. Accordingly, if you like the idea that the retailer is 'passing them on to you' I'd rather get the benefits of credit card rewards program if the price is the same regardless. I don't think that should be controversial or surprising.

He is a moron but the one thing I agree with him on is no one got rich by getting cash back or airline miles from credit cards. Just use a debit card or cash for everything.

I went to Hawaii for two weeks and spent NOTHING on airfare and NOTHING on hotel accommodations. Our only expenses were for meals, ground transportation and activities. AND we had F&B credits due to Hilton Diamond status erasing the first $36 of meals/drinks expenses each day.

Those expenses I didn't have because I'm holding credit cards would have been close to $10,000 had I paid for it all in cash.

Yes, I travel a lot and accumulate a lot of points from heads in beds and sitting in airplane seats, but a lot of the points were from promotions and credit card spend.

What is everyone using for a credit card that offers the best cash back? I currently have a Master Card that would put 1% into my son's 529 college fund. Now that he's graduated, I'm looking for the best rewards/cash back card. I don't travel because I hate most people, so not sure the travel rewards card would be beneficial. I've done a little research and I haven't found anything above 2% without an annual fee. Anyone have a card they really like?
I have airline cards on each major airline and pretty much fly free or get upgrades.

If you feel like doing some of your own investing open a Fidelity account and then get their credit card. 2% cash back gets deposited in your Fidelity account that is held in "cash" Money Market that earns 4.5% currently. Can move those funds from there whenever you want. Buy stocks or transfer to your bank account.

I barely use my Capital One card with 1.5% rewards anymore

Same here. We have an Amazon Rewards card which is 5% on Amazon and then everything else goes on the Fidelity Card. It's been a nice addition to my Roth over the years.

Rule #1: Never charge for something that you don't have money in the bank to pay off

Rule #2: See rule number 1.

Rule #3: Fake your own death

Law enforcement is just a well paid form of employment with great benefits and the ability to retire early with fabulous retirement perks.

Most can retire at age 55 with full benefits.
Dealing with the public when you have a gun and a badge doesn't require human compassion.
Age 50 for me. Hopefully, that is early enough for me to enjoy a few years before I die.

Maybe I should have made it a little more clearer. I put all of my monthly bills on this credit card and any big expenses. I have never not paid off my bill at the end of the month so I pay no interest. I realize these cash back or rewards aren't going to make me rich, but I like free things for something I'm already doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT