ADVERTISEMENT

Cripes- there is something really wrong

Hawk68

HR MVP
Oct 1, 2001
with our recruiting when we are beaten by Old Dominion University!
This post was edited on 1/27 8:00 PM by Hawk68

If he had switched to Iowa everybody would`ve been crying 2* with not one offer from a power 5 conf. Good for the kid for sticking with his committment.... Thanks...But he did look like a get...

Originally posted by messey:

If he had switched to Iowa everybody would`ve been crying 2* with not one offer from a power 5 conf. Good for the kid for sticking with his committment.... Thanks...But he did look like a get...
As we should be. People are pissed that Iowa is out trying to steal recruits away from programs like Old Dominion and Nevada, let alone losing said recruits to them.

Originally posted by iavagabond:
I've lost track of recruiting.....just don't have time (used to make a hobby of it)......who are we talking about?
Miles Fox, a DT prospect that took an official visit to Iowa this past weekend. Iowa offered him a couple of weeks ago. He had previously verballed to Old Dominion. He passed on the Iowa offer and will sign with ODU. He had prior offers from schools like Georgia State, Tenn State,South Alabama, etc..,etc..

Originally posted by Hawk68:

with our recruiting when we are beaten by Old Dominion University!
This post was edited on 1/27 8:00 PM by Hawk68
Actually, it's not a bad last-minute strategy to try to pilfer smaller schools' best recruits. The downside, however, is that when they decide to stick with their commitment, it looks really bad.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Originally posted by messey:

As we should be. People are pissed that Iowa is out trying to steal recruits away from programs like Old Dominion and Nevada, let alone losing said recruits to them.
That's recruiting.

If not a Hawk fan, would you want to play for a dynamic personality like KF and football program stuck in the 2oth century?? Just sayin, it won't change until it changes!

Originally posted by DewHawk:
If not a Hawk fan, would you want to play for a dynamic personality like KF and football program stuck in the 2oth century?? Just sayin, it won't change until it changes!
You know, this keeps getting thrown out there, but it doesn't even stand to reason.

The theory is that athletes don't want to play for boring-old-KF, except that every year athletes sign up to do just that. Are you claiming they are all Hawkeye-legacy or fans?

Are you claiming that elite talent somehow acts differently than non-elite?

Are you claiming that Iowa only gets those who can't get in elsewhere?

Originally posted by theIowaHawk:
You know, this keeps getting thrown out there, but it doesn't even stand to reason.

The theory is that athletes don't want to play for boring-old-KF, except that every year athletes sign up to do just that. Are you claiming they are all Hawkeye-legacy or fans?

Could you believe that Iowa might be some athletes second, third or more choice? (in regard to your last sentence)

Originally posted by Hawk8595:
Could you believe that Iowa might be some athletes second, third or more choice? (in regard to your last sentence)
Thank you for not actually attempting to answer anything above, you fit in well. I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but here is a shot at answering it: Yes, obviously there are athletes who are considering Iowa, as well as other schools, and Iowa might be second, third, or more.

Does that mean something to you?

Thank you for not actually attempting to answer anything above, you fit in well. I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but here is a shot at answering it: Yes, obviously there are athletes who are considering Iowa, as well as other schools, and Iowa might be second, third, or more.

Why so angry? Okay, I'll tell you what I think.

Dewhawk made some reasonable points. I suggested one of your responses could be explained that would support him. I could have discussed your other points but chose not to.

As for athletes not wanting to play boring football, I can sure see why that might be the case. I'm sure not alone in that. I might even be in the majority. If fans feel that way, how could a prospective recruit not think so as well?

Edited a double negative.

This post was edited on 1/28 12:30 PM by Hawk8595

As for personality and personal relations skills, I will take KF over you any day of week. You don't get people to donate big bucks and show up at all the I Club dinners without having people skills.

As for being stuck in 20th century, I don't think so. The fact Iowa does not follow all the fads doesn't make the program out of date.

DewHawk posted on 1/28/2015...

Not a hawk fan? Then what is your prupose of coming on here and making ridiculous exaggerations? Mommy not paying enough attention to you? Was that supposed to be humerous?
Or do you really believe that KF thnks that the field is still 120 yds. long......that you need to go 5 yds. in 3 plays for a 1st down....That KF thinks the forward pass is still illegal.....that he thinks he's 'cheating' by having numbers on the uniforms....that he thinks fg's are worth 5 points and touchdowns and xp's are worth 4.....
Thanks for clearing that up for us. We didn't know WHAT the problem was......
KF is well repected, you, probably not so much. Especially when you make comments like this.
Have a nice day, and next time go share your thoughts with whomever you are a 'fan' of..........
happy.r191677.gif

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:

DewHawk posted on 1/28/2015...

Not a hawk fan? Then what is your prupose of coming on here and making ridiculous exaggerations? Mommy not paying enough attention to you? Was that supposed to be humerous?
Or do you really believe that KF thnks that the field is still 120 yds. long......that you need to go 5 yds. in 3 plays for a 1st down....That KF thinks the forward pass is still illegal.....that he thinks he's 'cheating' by having numbers on the uniforms....that he thinks fg's are worth 5 points and touchdowns and xp's are worth 4.....
Thanks for clearing that up for us. We didn't know WHAT the problem was......
KF is well repected, you, probably not so much. Especially when you make comments like this.
Have a nice day, and next time go share your thoughts with whomever you are a 'fan' of..........
happy.r191677.gif
You don't read much, do you? He didn't say "I'm not a hawk fan", he said, "If not a hawk fan," then continued to say, "why would you want to play...". Reading like kindergartner aside, you should be able to comprehend his message is asking why would a recruit want to play for KF if they weren't a fan of Iowa.

Guys....Kirk Ferentz is anything but boring. He is very fiery and passionate and very persuasive. He is able to put people at ease and they trust him. I have talked to him a half dozen times over the years and he ALWAYS remembers my name. He is a great coach and teacher and there are tons of kids that would love to play for him. His press conference affect is nothing like the real guy.

I'll answer your question...

1) No one said every player was a legacy or a fan, but there are a percentage of players that grew up Hawkeye fans. Can you link these post?

2) Nobody is. The only difference between the two is that Elite players have better offers than Iowa. A good portion of the players we do get, their best offer is from Iowa.

3) See #2

Do you even look at the players that Iowa signs?

Can you explain to me why we can't flip a player committed to Old Dominion?

Can you explain to me why we lost a recruiting battle to Nevada?

Do you think that an elite WR or RB wants to play in a system where they aren't going to rack up stats?

Do you think these same elite players don't want to play in an exciting offense?

Athlete is a broad term. Everyone that plays organized football is an athlete. What people are saying is that Iowa isn't even gettting good athletes. They aren't getting the athletes to be competetive in the BIG.

We are regularly losing out on recruits to programs that were at one point considered lesser than Iowa. Iowa isn't getting the recruits that they at one point did. Why is that? What is you explaination?

I'll be awaiting your response.

Of course elite talent acts differently! They are being pursued by premier programs. It gives them leverage that a less well regarded player does not have.

Originally posted by SDHawkDoc:

Of course elite talent acts differently! They are being pursued by premier programs. It gives them leverage that a less well regarded player does not have.
That is a completely different discussion. The recruits still, likely, act the same...their options are just much more limited. So, you are basically arguing that someone with "big" offers (OSU, Alabama, USC, Fla St, etc.) are going to choose those schools. Of course, but that doesn't provide evidence of what the previous claim was: That they were choosing against Iowa because of boring-old-KF.

If "nobody" wanted to play for boring KF, nobody would, proportionally. They do. It is a silly, simplistic cliche that makes people feel that a simple change of philosophy (coaching) would somehow "fix" recruiting.

Originally posted by GarryO37:

I'll answer your question...

1) No one said every player was a legacy or a fan, but there are a percentage of players that grew up Hawkeye fans. Can you link these post?

I don't need to link a post. Look at the OP. "If not a Hawk fan, would you want to play for a dynamic personality like KF and football program stuck in the 2oth century??" His whole post is to consider from a perspective of not-a-Hawk-fan. Therefore, the only logical following is that those who choose to be Iowa athletes are, then, Hawk fans. I don't think this is supported by data.

2) Nobody is. The only difference between the two is that Elite players have better offers than Iowa. A good portion of the players we do get, their best offer is from Iowa.

Is that true? Is that supported by evidence? What is a "good portion"? Is that different than any other similarly-situated program?

3) See #2

Do you even look at the players that Iowa signs?

Not often, but in general, over the years yes. I do not salivate over them or hyperventilate like so many do. DJK was known as this explosive, once-in-a-lifetime talent that was going to revolutionize Iowa...right? (Hyperbole). He chose Iowa. My point is simple, athletes still choose Iowa, rendering the OP's completely inane, simplistic, cliche a pointless one. As I said in an above post, it makes posters feel better knowing that just one change could alleviate all of Iowa's issues.

Can you explain to me why we can't flip a player committed to Old Dominion?

I have no idea. Neither do you. You are looking at a sample size of 1. That is ridiculous. Are you claiming that Alabama, Oregon, Fla. State, and Ohio State don't lose a single recruit to a lesser school? Of course they do, often they are head-scratchers for those on the outside. You know who it probably isn't a head-scratcher for? The kid.

Can you explain to me why we lost a recruiting battle to Nevada?

Do you have some evidence, quotes, articles, anything that supports the OP? That it is boring-old-KF that lost/didn't flip these recruits?

Do you think that an elite WR or RB wants to play in a system where they aren't going to rack up stats?

Two things, which you completely ignore in your cliche'd approach is that 1) recruits, largely, stay close to home and 2) "elite" recruits choose "elite" schools.

Do you think these same elite players don't want to play in an exciting offense?

What an idiotic question. I'll send one back. "Do you want a punch in the face or do you hate America?"

Athlete is a broad term. Everyone that plays organized football is an athlete. What people are saying is that Iowa isn't even gettting good athletes. They aren't getting the athletes to be competetive in the BIG.

This is another thing that has gained traction on here. Here are the main two arguments posted throughout this last season:

1) KF can't coach, loses all the close games, is awful in general, is boring and predictable, just all around sucks. If it wasn't for him the team (see: athletes) would have won more games, like ISU and MD.

2) KF is boring and stale and can't recruit, therefore the talent at Iowa sucks.

But I don't see how (except ignorantly) posters are claiming both 1 and 2. Either the players suck and the season played out either better or like it should....or the players are fine and the coach is holding them back. At least pick a side.

Certainly one could say both are in play, but they couldn't do so with the arguments put on here, such as: CJB = NFL future, Powell is the greatest deep threat around, Willies is the next Dwayne Bowe.......

We are regularly losing out on recruits to programs that were at one point considered lesser than Iowa. Iowa isn't getting the recruits that they at one point did. Why is that? What is you explaination?

I guess I haven't seen you post those results. From last year, which ones did we lose out on that equates to "regularly"? You appear to have posted two in this thread. Both of which seem to be of the level you would complain about if they had signed.

It looks as though the Nevada player you are talking about is Dominic Christian, from Chicago. I have no idea why he made his decision. Do you have some source you can show us? I just did a quick search and this appeared to be one of his quotes: "I fit in with all the guys there (at Nevada) and it's a smaller school like my high school..." And he was "stolen" away by Lester Erb. Maybe those were his reasons.

I'll be awaiting your response.
And none of what you have posted somehow supports that players simply choose not to play for KF. Causation, do you know the term?

Theiowahawkeye: we are competing at an average level. So, is it the athletes or the coaching. The chaages I mentioned would be to the head coach. By the way is your moniker like tOSU:)

slarew: you continue riding the KF bus and indicating all others are wrong, I am looking forward to your astute observations when the final train wreck occurs under KF.

Originally posted by Suterman:
Guys....Kirk Ferentz is anything but boring. He is very fiery and passionate and very persuasive. He is able to put people at ease and they trust him. I have talked to him a half dozen times over the years and he ALWAYS remembers my name. He is a great coach and teacher and there are tons of kids that would love to play for him. His press conference affect is nothing like the real guy.
I am consistently amazed at people who claim to watch Iowa games (especially those who claim to attend) and then say that KF just stands silently on the sideline. Does he act like Rhoads or Brian Kelly? No, but he gets fired up and yells, and swears, etc. Did they not see him halfway on the field over a two-point conversion?

This has nothing to do with his ability to coach or his results, it just amazes me that people somehow miss all of this...while watching the same game as me.

Dewhawk made some reasonable points. I suggested one of your responses could be explained that would support him. I could have discussed your other points but chose not to.

As for athletes not wanting to play boring football, I can sure see why that might be the case. I'm sure not alone in that. I might even be in the majority. If fans feel that way, how could a prospective recruit not think so as well?

Angry? I have no idea where you got that, I simply called you out for not responding...very common on here.

What "reasonable" points did Dewhawk make? He said two things: 1) implied that non-hawkeye-fans would have no interest in playing for KF, and 2) "it" won't change until it changes. These are the reasonable points?

Then you talk about a hypothetical...about a figurative prospective-athlete...except they do sign up to play for KF. That is my entire point. It serves no purpose to say that athletes don't want to play for boring KF, when clearly a proportion of them sign up to do just that.

You can discuss the larger recruiting woes without simplifying it to ridiculously inept levels.

That is a completely different discussion. The recruits still, likely, act the same...their options are just much more limited. So, you are basically arguing that someone with "big" offers (OSU, Alabama, USC, Fla St, etc.) are going to choose those schools. Of course, but that doesn't provide evidence of what the previous claim was: That they were choosing against Iowa because of boring-old-KF.

If "nobody" wanted to play for boring KF, nobody would, proportionally. They do. It is a silly, simplistic cliche that makes people feel that a simple change of philosophy (coaching) would somehow "fix" recruiting.
This particular point is tangential to your other discussion, but I beg to differ about the elite players acting differently.
They have been told how great they are their entire sporting lives. Just like the girl who is always told how beautiful she is and is treated accordingly.
They have a level of expectation that puts them in a place where they require wooing in a certain way. I don't know KF, so I can't personally attest in any way to how he, or his staff, would approach a discussion with a 5* recruit. But, if it's anything like his public persona, I would think it would not play well with the upper crust of recruits.

Angry? I have no idea where you got that, I simply called you out for not responding...very common on here.

What "reasonable" points did Dewhawk make? He said two things: 1) implied that non-hawkeye-fans would have no interest in playing for KF, and 2) "it" won't change until it changes. These are the reasonable points?

Then you talk about a hypothetical...about a figurative prospective-athlete...except they do sign up to play for KF. That is my entire point. It serves no purpose to say that athletes don't want to play for boring KF, when clearly a proportion of them sign up to do just that.

You can discuss the larger recruiting woes without simplifying it to ridiculously inept levels.
Okay, you are not angry just disagreeable.

This particular point is tangential to your other discussion, but I beg to differ about the elite players acting differently.
They have been told how great they are their entire sporting lives. Just like the girl who is always told how beautiful she is and is treated accordingly.
They have a level of expectation that puts them in a place where they require wooing in a certain way. I don't know KF, so I can't personally attest in any way to how he, or his staff, would approach a discussion with a 5* recruit. But, if it's anything like his public persona, I would think it would not play well with the upper crust of recruits.
That is entirely possible.

OP just who are these 5* players you are claiming KF can't woo? there are only 25-30 5* players per year. Alabama has 4 of Rivals 5* players and there are what 60 power 5 teams fighting over what's left. you want to go out and fire every power 5 teams coach that fails to get a 5* player?

USC who is sitting in 2nd in the class ranking have 0 5* recruits if USC can't land a single 5* recruit in this class how can you rip KF for not getting 1. according to Rivals O$U does not have a 5* recruit, but ESPN shows O$U with 2 5* recruits and IA were in on both in LB Hilliard and DE Cornell.

using just the 5* recruits as a basis for your dislike of KF.

in this class IA has 1 of TX top 100 players committed, surprise surprise the kid is a skill player WR Smith. the type of player you claim KF can't land, KF also has a FLA top 100 player in again surprise surprise he is RB Higdon another skill player that you claim KF can't recruit,

then Brain Ferentz just got the 4th best center in the country away from instate power O$U and Alabama, again OP what was the point of this thread other than to start another Fire KF thread like that will make everything all nicey nicey in your world.

I read all the time, thanks, but obviously not very well without my reading glasses. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I'm surprised you didn't mention that I misspelled humerous also...
eek.r191677.gif

Have a great day. I have to get back to my favorite books, 'Tikki, Tikki, Tembo' and 'Wake up, Sleepy Bear'.........
I usually skip recess because I like to read so much..................

This post was edited on 1/28 4:09 PM by MattFoleyHawk

Theiowahawkeye: So, is it the athletes or the coaching?
Good question! It has to be least one or the other. I'll leave ya with a quote. The players change, but the game remains the same.

while recruiting isnt as good as it should be I am not devastated that we were not able to get this guy. It was a very late offer and clearly location was very important to him. Its obvious that Iowa is still (yes even after this season) every recruits favorite over Old Dominion when it comes to the prestige of the program. But this kid will likely play or start for Old Dominion as a freshman and stays somewhat close to home

Originally posted by meatloaf55:
while recruiting isnt as good as it should be I am not devastated that we were not able to get this guy. It was a very late offer and clearly location was very important to him. Its obvious that Iowa is still (yes even after this season) every recruits favorite over Old Dominion when it comes to the prestige of the program. But this kid will likely play or start for Old Dominion as a freshman and stays somewhat close to home
Link? Old Dominion is close to 600 miles away from him.

Kilroy you lose any credibility if there is any left when you start bragging how a player is a top 100HS player in his state. Even if it is Texas or FL. A top 100 or 250 nationally is something to brag about but not a state.

when states like TX and FLA send 150 kids to D1 that is indeed a big recruit. even now Higdon's HS coach is trying to get him to flip to Michigan, anybody can gets the 150 and below recruits out of those 2 states but it takes a special out of state coach to get a state top 100 to leave those States, for example since I have not figured out ho to do a state by state search on the recruits ranking by state I am going to use ESPN for this example

this years class TX has these for numbers

3 5* players
64 4* players
meaning that 67 out of that top 100 are 4 or 5* recruits,
so yeah getting a TX top 100 is a big deal

FLA
7 5* Recruits
66 4* recruits

meaning that 73 of that top 100 are either 4 or 5* recruits
again making it a very big deal for a IA coach to get a state top 100 from the 2 schools is a big deal and then you add in any kid in the top 150 will be a pretty good pick up, after the top 150 its pretty much a crap shoot. like I pointed out in another thread ISU has 46 players combined on their roster from TX and FLA and it has not helped them out.

IA is being very selective in the recruits they are getting out of those states, rather than just throwing 100's of offers hoping that they will stick.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

when states like TX and FLA send 150 kids to D1 that is indeed a big recruit. even now Higdon's HS coach is trying to get him to flip to Michigan, anybody can gets the 150 and below recruits out of those 2 states but it takes a special out of state coach to get a state top 100 to leave those States, for example since I have not figured out ho to do a state by state search on the recruits ranking by state I am going to use ESPN for this example

this years class TX has these for numbers

3 5* players
64 4* players
meaning that 67 out of that top 100 are 4 or 5* recruits,
so yeah getting a TX top 100 is a big deal

FLA
7 5* Recruits
66 4* recruits

meaning that 73 of that top 100 are either 4 or 5* recruits
again making it a very big deal for a IA coach to get a state top 100 from the 2 schools is a big deal and then you add in any kid in the top 150 will be a pretty good pick up, after the top 150 its pretty much a crap shoot. like I pointed out in another thread ISU has 46 players combined on their roster from TX and FLA and it has not helped them out.

IA is being very selective in the recruits they are getting out of those states, rather than just throwing 100's of offers hoping that they will stick.
Haha,right. Very selective. More like few kids want to hear what they have to say.

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
I read all the time, thanks, but obviously not very well without my reading glasses. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I'm surprised you didn't mention that I misspelled humerous also...
eek.r191677.gif

Have a great day. I have to get back to my favorite books, 'Tikki, Tikki, Tembo' and 'Wake up, Sleepy Bear'.........
I usually skip recess because I like to read so much..................

This post was edited on 1/28 4:09 PM by MattFoleyHawk
I'm willing to bet Stanley, that you read out loud to yourself during recess too don't you? You just love to hear the sound of your own voice. I underSTANLEY you my friend. You're in it for the stars, and the pebbles.

You sure think you're clever, aegon, and you may be? But we don't even speak the same language, so I never know wtf you are ever talking about. Skittles and pebbles and stars and blah, blah, blah.........lol. But you seem to entertain yourself, so have fun???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT