ADVERTISEMENT

Current WNBA Media Deal: $50M/year. Their New 11 Year Deal, starting in 2026? Up to $260M/year (At Least $2.2B, up to $2.86B, for the 11 Years)

I offer the draft press release for Caitlin in light of this news:

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a league who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very massive economic opportunities that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way.

full text of tweet:

BREAKING WNBA MEDIA RIGHTS NEWS

Per The Athletic, the WNBA is set to receive roughly $2.2 billion over the next 11 years in rights fees in its new deals — an average of $200 million a year.

ESPN, NBC and Amazon will all have their own WNBA packages.

The WNBA’s current media deals are set to expire after the 2025 season, with Disney, Ion, CBS and Amazon as its media partners. The new rights fees could have as much as a six-times multiple on the league’s current media rights fees since the new deals leave room for the WNBA to bring in new partners. The league anticipates it will sell two other rights packages in addition to the ones it has already made agreements for, and projects to bring in another $60 million annually in those deals.

GSqYnaAXoAAsdRc

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
I offer the draft press release for Caitlin in light of this news:

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a league who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very massive economic opportunities that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way.
Get back on that wall. Colonel Jessep! We need you there.......

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye

WNBA said to be in line for as much as $260M per year in new NBA deal

by Jon Lewis
July 17, 2024

The WNBA is poised for sharply increased media rights revenue under the NBA’s looming deals with Disney, Comcast and Amazon.

The NBA media rights deal — which league owners approved Tuesday — includes $200 million per year for WNBA games, Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic reported Tuesday. WNBA games would air across all three of the NBA’s expected broadcast partners, Disney (ESPN), Comcast (NBC and Peacock) and Amazon (Prime Video), with the league retaining the right to sell up to two additional packages separately.

The WNBA is believed to make an estimated $60 million per year as part of the existing NBA media rights deal, which covers the league’s games on ESPN. (The NBA’s other incumbent broadcaster, TNT, has never aired WNBA games.) WNBA games also air on Amazon, CBS and Scripps’ ION as part of deals the league reached separately.

ION is expected to be a contender for one of the additional packages going forward, according to reporting last month by John Ourand of Puck. (Ourand, it should be noted, reported that the WNBA was likely to sell one additional package, not two.) Per Vorkunov, the WNBA could earn an additional $60 million per year through the additional deals, bringing its total annual rights haul to $260 million annually.

Though approved by the NBA board of governors on Tuesday, the NBA media rights deal will not be official until Warner Bros. Discovery has the opportunity to decide whether it wants to deploy its disputed matching rights in order to retain a package of games. While WNBA games have never aired on TNT, any successful match by WBD — however unlikely — would almost certainly include WNBA inventory.

This "movement" is truly amazing.
I'm amazed it's happening, number one, but it's happening in the freaking WNBA.
Like anyone even cared about this league more than the local bowling league a year ago.
So glad to see this weirdness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT