ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting/maintaining weight

SoFla-Hawkeye

HB Heisman
Nov 12, 2001
Need a little help from my fellow Hawkeyes. My youngest son is wrestling @ 152 this year. Started football season back in August around 165ish. Was 155 when certified. As a result, he hasn't had to cut much but is struggling to maintain a healthy 152. He has typically been stepping on the scale on match days just under 152 but feels hungry/dehydrated/lethargic. Any advice? TIA.

Need a little help from my fellow Hawkeyes. My youngest son is wrestling @ 152 this year. Started football season back in August around 165ish. Was 155 when certified. As a result, he hasn't had to cut much but is struggling to maintain a healthy 152. He has typically been stepping on the scale on match days just under 152 but feels hungry/dehydrated/lethargic. Any advice? TIA.
Move up a weight.

He’ll never maintain that “healthy 152.” He weighs 165 naturally. The best he can hope for is to cut to 152 and still perform.

But here’s thing….. Why is he cutting so much? Why not wrestle closer to natural weight?

Hard to say without more info (lots more) but I would be curious as to how he got to 155 from 165 and what his diet is like during the week as well as how high his weight gets in between weigh-ins (does he balloon up Thursday night after a dual and have to cut hard Friday to get ready for Saturday tournaments, drink beer on Saturday nights knowing he has a couple days to sweat it out, etc).

I cut weight all the wrong ways (hell, I figured out a way to cheat the certification my senior year so I could keep my football weight higher and not miss the first dual) so I am not an expert on what to do but if what he is doing resembles what I was doing then I can tell you its wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
He didn't cut from 165 to 155. That was natural weight loss from playing football in Florida. Basically August through October. He is maintaining close to 152 simply by eating a more healthy diet. He hasn't been heavier than 155 all season. His issue is the fatigue caused by "fasting" (to guarantee he's on weight) before weigh ins. I am looking for foods he can eat while maintaining his weight and energy levels. He typically will eat a protein bar and hydrate with coconut water after weighing in. That doesn't seem to be working for him.

He didn't cut from 165 to 155. That was natural weight loss from playing football in Florida. Basically August through October. He is maintaining close to 152 simply by eating a more healthy diet. He hasn't been heavier than 155 all season. His issue is the fatigue caused by "fasting" (to guarantee he's on weight) before weigh ins. I am looking for foods he can eat while maintaining his weight and energy levels. He typically will eat a protein bar and hydrate with coconut water after weighing in. That doesn't seem to be working for him.
So he is only cutting 3 pounds it sounds like if the rest was lost just from exercise relating to playing sports. Wrestling practice is typically a lot harder than football. I'm kinda surprised he didn't drop the other 3 from that but yes some nutrition tweeks should be able to solve the issue. Could also be related to unintentionally holding is breath during exertion during the match.

He’s tired because wrestling is harder than football. Sorry, couldn’t resist and not trying to derail your legitimate inquiry to help your son. Hopefully you get some good advice from those on here more knowledgeable than myself.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Whats his body type like? Is he 5' tall 165 pounds? Or 5'9 165? Whats his diet like? If he is eating like he was during football, thats not going to work. 3 pounds is not much and should be very easy to do in a week. You'e going to need to eat and drink correctly if youre going to step on the scale and feel good.

If hes eating McDonalds and drinking Mountain Dew hes gonna have to work really hard to work that crap off.

Cutting weight is not a "day of" thing. You can't eat like shit all week and then expect that weight to come off easy the day of weigh ins. You mentioned what he eats and drinks on weigh in days, but nothing about what he eats or drinks every other day. Cutting weight and dieting correctly is a season long thing if you want to do it right. Most high school kids half-ass or worse it and are not honest about what they eat and drink....just food for thought.

I’m going to say this in the nicest way possible.

He’s being a baby. It’s high school, so he got plus+2 after Christmas.

Your son is literally not cutting anything, or he’s lying to you about how much he walks around at or gets up to after weighins. In a typical practice, he should be losing 5-6 pounds at least. That’s 5-6 pounds he should be eating every day, including the day before weighins.

And he should be eating real food all day both after weighins and during the day. Carbs and proteins. If all he’s ingesting is a protein bar on wrestling days, that’s a huge issue.

I’m going to say this in the nicest way possible.

He’s being a baby. It’s high school, so he got plus+2 after Christmas.

Your son is literally not cutting anything, or he’s lying to you about how much he walks around at or gets up to after weighins. In a typical practice, he should be losing 5-6 pounds at least. That’s 5-6 pounds he should be eating every day, including the day before weighins.

And he should be eating real food all day both after weighins and during the day. Carbs and proteins. If all he’s ingesting is a protein bar on wrestling days, that’s a huge issue.

Also could be the kid is very lean naturally and there's not much room for weight cut. But yea, I think anything over 20 is bad, 0-10 should be just fine. I would also wonder if the kid consumes a lot of carbs (soda's etc) normally but is now cut off and his body is rebelling.

Also could be the kid is very lean naturally and there's not much room for weight cut. But yea, I think anything over 20 is bad, 0-10 should be just fine. I would also wonder if the kid consumes a lot of carbs (soda's etc) normally but is now cut off and his body is rebelling.
People forget how forgiving high school bodies are. He walks around 1 pound OVER???!! It wouldn't matter if he ate cheeseburgers and doritos with a large coke EVERY DAY - he wouldn't get fatigued in a manner that would matter.

If he's actually in any kind of shape, what he eats won't matter when it comes to his performance. Eating cleaner will be a benefit, but no way it will detract in a way that's noticeable. Hell, DT made it through college eating cereal and Mountain Dew. He's not training hard enough.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
People forget how forgiving high school bodies are. He walks around 1 pound OVER???!! It wouldn't matter if he ate cheeseburgers and doritos with a large coke EVERY DAY - he wouldn't get fatigued in a manner that would matter.

If he's actually in any kind of shape, what he eats won't matter when it comes to his performance. Eating cleaner will be a benefit, but no way it will detract in a way that's noticeable. Hell, DT made it through college eating cereal and Mountain Dew. He's not training hard enough.

Edit: Cutting out sodas is NOT going to make his body rebel. It's not heroin

Reactions: GoHawks1996
For a change, I am having the opposite problem. My youngest boy certified this year at 177.4, with 7.1% body fat. Cannot cut to 170. So he is walking around at 175-177, and having to wrestle 182 (+2). Trying to build muscle-those guys look big!

But answering your question-lean protein 1/2 pound per day, all the veggies (raw or steamed) that he wants, 2 servings of fruit daily, eliminate all beverages except water or tea (gatorade has as much sugar as pop) and he should have no troubles maintaining 154.

How much time between weigh in and matches these days? We weighed in mornings and competed early evening.

How much time between weigh in and matches these days? We weighed in mornings and competed early evening.
Get him down to weight a day or two prior to competition and eat a healthy diet, conscious of caloric intake between then and weighing in if little time between weighing in and matches.

Reactions: Trapper85
It depends on the guy. Some guys have some flesh to surrender, particularly at the heavier weights. Others have very little to lose. Overall, I think that weight loss during the regular wrestling season is over-valued, but keeping in-shape and muscling up during the off-season is way under-valued.

A 152-lb class guy shouldn't have to cut more than 8-10 pounds or so to make weight in season, if he keeps himself in reasonable shape in the off-season. With hard workouts, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless the guy is encouraged/forced to make a weight that he shouldn't. Guys who are already skinny shouldn't be losing more weight. They need to build muscle. It's that simple.

I witnessed the old days of rubber suits, laxatives, and sucking ice chips instead of eating, and the resulting misery, so I may be way more negative about big weight cuts than some others are.

One of my favorite foods for building muscle AND watching weight is the cheap & humble boiled egg, hard or soft, and within 45 minutes after a workout. It's nature's perfect food, and relatively healthy. You also get to support all those Iowa egg producers when you eat them.

Last edited:
Some simple rules of thumb I was taught and are easy to teach to high school kids and their parents (They usually do not listen):

Balance: You need to eat and drink a balanced diet....as in you cant eat all carbs or all protein or drink all water. He needs to maintain strength and have energy!!!! That comes from multiple food sources and hydration.

Watch your sodium! Sodiums is good in terms of helping your body retain water, but you can over do it!! You have too much salt and that water won't burn off as easy. With liquids, water is number one and sports drinks or fancy waters should be 2nd. Balance is key!!!

Carbs to protein ratio: Breakfast/lunch he should try and eat 75% of his daily carbs and 25% of his daily proteins.....Dinner should be 25% carbs and 75% proteins. The theory here is he will burn off those carbs each day by general daily activities and obviously wrestling. He'll also be getting a good balance of protein to maintain his strengths.

Now this depends on how serious you/he is:
Good carbs: Sweet potatoes, red potatoes, rice, whole wheat breads are okay, but I would stay away from too much bread....
Proteins: Broiled or grilled Chicken, fish, lean beef, eggs (have you seen Big Tony), protein shakes--but you cant live off just protein shakes. You also need lean protein shakes, look at the sugars, fats and carbs in the shakes. High levels of BCAA's (branch chain amino acids) are good/better
Fruits/Vegetables: Greens are good and light and something that helps make you feel full!!! Broccoli, celery, kale. Apples and oranges are good and will add some natural sugars and hydration.
Treats: Everyone deserves to eat cake or pie or a candy bar now and again, so you don't need to rule those things out, just need to have priorities and limits.

He needs to learn that a snickers bar or a subway sandwich is a hell of a lot harder to burn off those calories than a pre-made dish of grilled chicken and rice. If you are on here asking questions, that tells me you want whats best for him. If thats the case you need to be of aide for him and make sure he has these food accessible at home all the time. You may need to cook or meal prep for him every week. Teach him how to do these things. Also may want to think about removing shitty snack foods from the house. You can't expect him to eat right all the time when he has a bag of doritios and coke staring at him.

1 hour between weigh-in and matches. No such thing as a gentleman's weigh-in down here. +1 pound is given on the 2nd day of a 2-day tournament. PM weigh-ins are tough.

Reactions: el dub
As he is Boy #4 and the only one at home we have eliminated all crap food from the house. This is his 5th year of wrestling. He and his brother before him have always wrestled up. This is our 1st (and last, he is a senior) of wrestling at weight so diet is much more a factor this year. We eat chicken breasts and fish 4/5 nights a week. Maybe a burger on the grill one night and then vegetarian another night. Lots of beans. Eats 2-3 poached eggs for breakfast. My/his/our real issue is match day. Yesterday he weighed-in at 151.9 which is 2 lbs under. As it was a school day he did not eat after breakfast/until he weighed-in. His only "cheat" day is after a match. Usually Chipoltle. He's 6-1 with 7.1% body fat. Practice is at school (air-conditioned cafeteria :mad:) and he goes to Mocco's 2-3 days a week.

Well it seems more like a diet than it does cutting weight to me which is good, but if he doesn’t eat and then weighs in 2 pounds under that is poor management.

Buy a good scale for at home so when he wakes up the day of a match he can weigh himself and that will help him regulate what he can eat and drink the day of. Id think his coach has a scale readily available in the room for him to periodically check his weight throughout the day, so that’s another way to keep on top of what he can eat and drink. If he was 2+ pounds under at weigh in he could’ve eaten or drank better or more throughout the day and he would feel better after weigh ins.

if he is eating like you say and only skipping one meal on a particular weigh in and he feels weak and lethargic ….there may be other issues going on.

As he is Boy #4 and the only one at home we have eliminated all crap food from the house. This is his 5th year of wrestling. He and his brother before him have always wrestled up. This is our 1st (and last, he is a senior) of wrestling at weight so diet is much more a factor this year. We eat chicken breasts and fish 4/5 nights a week. Maybe a burger on the grill one night and then vegetarian another night. Lots of beans. Eats 2-3 poached eggs for breakfast. My/his/our real issue is match day. Yesterday he weighed-in at 151.9 which is 2 lbs under. As it was a school day he did not eat after breakfast/until he weighed-in. His only "cheat" day is after a match. Usually Chipoltle. He's 6-1 with 7.1% body fat. Practice is at school (air-conditioned cafeteria :mad:) and he goes to Mocco's 2-3 days a week.
If all the above is true. I refer to my second sentence in my initial reply…

He’s being a baby.

If all the above is true. I refer to my second sentence in my initial reply…

He’s being a baby.
He’s broken both arms and an elbow. Currently wrestling with a displaced ulnar nerve. But yes, he’s being a baby. Thanks for your input but I think I will take the advice of the others and change his diet around.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Two questions:
1. How much sleep is he getting?

The answer should be at least 8 consecutive hours a night. If you have to take his phone away, take it.

2. How much is he running?

He should be getting in 2-3 miles a day outside of practice.

Two questions:
1. How much sleep is he getting?

The answer should be at least 8 consecutive hours a night. If you have to take his phone away, take it.

2. How much is he running?

He should be getting in 2-3 miles a day outside of practice.
Sleep is a real issue. His phone is not an issue. School is. He’s lucky to be in bed by 11:00. Up at 6:30 on school days.

Very little running. School practice is 2 hours. Mostly working on techniques. Some sprints. Mocco is intense. 1.5 hours of solid wrestling and cardio. At least 50 minutes of that is straight work.

Sleep is a real issue. His phone is not an issue. School is. He’s lucky to be in bed by 11:00. Up at 6:30 on school days.

Very little running. School practice is 2 hours. Mostly working on techniques. Some sprints. Mocco is intense. 1.5 hours of solid wrestling and cardio. At least 50 minutes of that is straight work.
I hope you can get the sleep figured out, you guys are close. I think 7 hours of sleep for him is the bare minimum. 8 the night before a meet/tournament.
I really think he needs more straight work and cardio. It would seem the high school practice is pretty easy? Isn’t there at least 40 minutes of live, full go, wrestling?
I am sure you have a great son. The last of 4 is a blessing and a curse
My comments are intended to help not harm
I am not sure your son is in wrestling shape. Wrestling success demands a lot. He needs the running and hard wrestling to get his lungs where they need to be. By default the weight cutting should fall into place.
Best of luck, Let us know how his year goes.

Couple things I've learned through my own cutting journey and watching the college guys do it.

If you treat it like a science it isn't bad at all. Find a routine that works and then stick with it every time.

It's always better to run more than to eat/drink less. The college guys practice all the time, a couple times the day before the meet, and usually a quick one the day of the meet just to shed some weight and make sure they're getting enough food and water in.

You should never be 2 pounds under, especially if you're having problems feeling lethargic. I would consider it a personal failure if I was any more than 2 or 3 tenths under. Every tenth is that much extra nourishment you can have in your body.

Refuel as soon as weigh ins are over. You should have some cliff bars and water or pedialyte in the locker room waiting to eat as soon as weigh ins are over so you can start the process of reenergizing.

Like I said, it's a science, I cut a lot of weight but had such a great system that I never had any negative effects, makes the whole season that much more enjoyable too!

I like the science reference….because that really is what it is!!! Everyone is different and you have to find what works, but when you do and you’re strict about it you’ll feel good!!

and like others stated, if practices are easy and not much weight is lost at practice each day….then he’s gotta be doing cardio on his own. Morning runs before he has eaten breakfast are great! His body is fasting from the day before and will shred those fats and calories with a good morning run. Especially in Florida where it’s hot!!! We used to have cardio sessions that were 30 minute minimum….depending on your weight was.

Some don’t agree with it, but it worked me is coffee! Caffeine is a natural diuretic. You have to limit your caffeine intake, but one cup of black coffee in the morning got my system moving and it helps you piss and shit out some weight!!!

I too would get in a routine and really after about 6 weeks of my dieting I was settled in and could feel good and could eat and drink well everyday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT