ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball Chat (4/24)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
Big Ten and any other general topics from this week's chat

FittsMagic: How murky is the case for Big Ten at-large bids? Maryland sits at #72 on Boyd's and has Indiana (#24) this weekend. Is this a play-in series for the Terps?

Kendall Rogers: Fitt -- I think the league is going to get three bids at the moment. Right now, Indiana is clearly a very safe bet, and I think Iowa would get in as of today. That leaves you one more spot for Rutgers or Maryland. So, yep, a Terps series win this weekend would likely vault them in my eyes. Three is certainly not a guarantee, but that's where I'm leaning as we sit here on Monday.

===========================

Hoosier: Was Indiana close to being ranked? Also is there any chance both Indiana and Indiana State host?

Kendall Rogers: Hoosier -- Indiana was in the mix with about 8 or 9 different teams. It was a really tough week to debate the four new teams in the rankings. As for hosting, there's a possibility both Indiana and Indiana State host, but I wouldn't count on it. One of those two teams will fall down the pecking order at some point, IMO.

Also from another feature today:

Postseason Buzz: Who Helped & Who Hurt Their Case
by Kendall Rogers

Who Helped Their Case:

IOWA

The Hawkeyes were right on the bubble in last week's projections, and they helped their status this past weekend with a home sweep over Nebraska. Iowa moved up 12 spots in the RPI to 44 with the sweep and is in a much better position in the Big Ten. Iowa has some rough metrics -- such as a NSOS of 228 and just a 3-2 record vs. RPI Top 50 -- so, finishing the Big Ten slate strong is imperative. But this is a club that most certainly passes the eyeball test.

Baseball America's 2023 NCAA Tournament Projected Field of 64 (April 26, 2023)

3 B1G teams are projected to qualify.

Nashville
1. (5) Vanderbilt
2. Southern Miss
3. Iowa
4. Central Connecticut State

Bloomington, IN
1. (15) Indiana
2. Tennessee
3. Louisville
4. Wright State

Charlottesville, VA
1. (4) Virginia
2. Maryland
3. Old Dominion
4. Fairfield

Last Four In​

Northeastern
UC Santa Barbara
Georgia
Old Dominion

First Four Out​

Clemson
Xavier
Auburn
Georgia Southern

Next Four Out​

Oklahoma
North Carolina State
Rutgers
Elon

Bids By Conference​

10: SEC
9: ACC
6: Pac-12
5: Big 12
4: Sun Belt
3: Big Ten
2:
Big West, Colonial Athletic, Conference USA

Last edited:
In d1 Baseball's projections today, Iowa is still a #3 seed but is no longer listed as one of the "Last 5 In." Maryland is now listed as one of the "Last 5 In."

Looks like BA likes the Terps better than d1 Baseball.

Reactions: BigOHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT