ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball weekly chat (3/20)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
Any and all B1G discussion listed below and any other interesting tidbit questions

StatsMan: Almost everyone knows the flaws of using RPI to evaluate teams. Why doesn't the Selection Committee use a better metric, such as Boyd World's ISR? It won't take an NCAA ruling, just committee members knowing that measures other than the RPI exist.

Aaron Fitt: I'm not sure how the committee members feel about ISR (I'm guessing they're just not familiar with it), but I do know that John Cohen (this year's chairman) recognizes the RPI's flaws, and when I spoke with him after last year's selections he indicated that he's looking for new and innovative approaches to constructing the field. What that looks like specifically, I'm not sure.

================================

Tannor: Based on what you've seen to this point: Who finishes 1-3 in the Big Ten, and how many teams does the Big Ten get into the NCAA Tournament?

Aaron Fitt: Honestly I still believe in Maryland and Rutgers even though their records aren't anything special right now -- they have played good schedules, and I think they'll benefit from being battle tested and finish in the top three of the Big Ten, along with Iowa -- which might have supplanted Maryland as the favorite heading into conference play. Hawkeyes have better pitching, I think.

Kendall Rogers: Just adding to what Aaron said, one thing to watch about Rutgers is that the tough NSOS has it sitting around 17 in the RPI with conference play on the way. It's still way way way too early to put much stock in RPI, but it's an interesting early data point nevertheless.

Zac: How far out is Iowa? They're going to have a small sample size of top-end games, but can that LSU win carry them into the tournament along with a good W-L record?

Kendall Rogers: Zac -- the Hawkeyes were still on our board and had another solid week, but that Texas Tech series will hold them back for a bit. Still, a really solid club that I would not remotely be surprised to see challenge for a spot in Omaha.

Eric: Thoughts on Ohio State? Won 7 straight! Not a contender this year, but looks like they are getting on the right path with this coach.

Kendall Rogers: Eric -- I wouldn't sell Ohio State short before conference play begins, but there's zero doubt they look better. They have some solid pieces offensively with Kern and others, and Isaiah Coupet is one of the better Friday arms in the Big Ten and perhaps all of college baseball. I'd keep an eye on the Bucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT