ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball Weekly Chat (5/15)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004
Not much Big Ten talk this week.

Dylan: A week ago we were talking about the outside shot of Maryland sneaking into a hosting position if they could win out and get into the 20-25 RPI range. After a midweek loss to Northeastern and dropping a game to Minnesota at home, they're down to 47 in the RPI. Should I be sweating about them getting into the field at all now? Feels like they have to win either the Big Ten Tournament or regular season title to lock themselves in. With the tiebreaker over Indiana I feel confident about winning the regular season still in this last weekend, but am having a little doubt creep in.

Aaron Fitt: I still think the Terps should be OK for an at-large bid if they win the regular-season title, which is something the committee typically places significant value on. Also the fact that Maryland has won 10 straight weekends should really carry some weight helping overcome a borderline RPI.

=================================

Guest: Should either of the Big Ten contenders (Maryland and Indiana) still harbor any hopes of hosting if they win out the final three games and also win the conference tournament? Or are their projected RPI ceilings just too low at this point?

Kendall Rogers: The ship has sailed (it was always a long shot) for Maryland with an RPI of 49, but Indiana could get back into the discussion with a very strong finish and an RPI of 29. Let's say Indiana rolls this weekend to win the regular season title and then rolls in the conference tournament. That's the pathway.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Guest: Should either of the Big Ten contenders (Maryland and Indiana) still harbor any hopes of hosting if they win out the final three games and also win the conference tournament? Or are their projected RPI ceilings just too low at this point?

Kendall Rogers: The ship has sailed (it was always a long shot) for Maryland with an RPI of 49, but Indiana could get back into the discussion with a very strong finish and an RPI of 29. Let's say Indiana rolls this weekend to win the regular season title and then rolls in the conference tournament. That's the pathway.

Indiana probably has the easiest path since they play at MSU for the final weekend that should help their RPI if they sweep. But I think Maryland and Iowa could have the same shot if they win out and sweep the BTT. Any team that can win both the regular season and tournament title should host IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT