ADVERTISEMENT

Dad Charged For Letting 10-Year-Old Daughter Drive In Fatal ATV Crash

No helmet bothers me the most here. But a preteen driving a 800 cc without supervision is a close second.
Manslaughter I don’t agree with. Endangerment yes.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
After reading his response he deserves much much worse

I don't see much of a problem with them. Should have been more remorseful but I grew up that way too. I had no problem operating the 4-wheeler, lawn mower, and tractors on our farm at that age.

"Us and the kids have hundreds of hours on four-wheelers," Koeckeritz told the paper.

"It's the way we all grew up. There wasn't a lack of confidence in her abilities. She was making a left-hand turn, and a wheel got caught in a divot. It was just unforeseen," he added.

Koeckeritz was charged with two counts of second-degree manslaughter and two counts of child endangerment causing harm or death.

He said he was shocked to learn he was facing charges.

"The fact that the county prosecutor would even be contemplating charges is mind-blowing," Koeckeritz said. "Isn't it enough that my other kids have lost our daughter due to a freak accident?"

Reactions: WSC72 and h-hawk
This is from the safety brochure from the vehicle.

DO NOT PERMIT CHILDREN TO DRIVE OR RIDE ADULT ATVS

Children are involved in about one-third of all ATV-related deaths and hospital emergency room injuries. Most of these deaths and injuries occur when a child is driving or riding on an adult ATV. Children under 16 on adult ATVs are twice as likely to be injured as those riding youth ATVs.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
This is from the safety brochure from the vehicle.

DO NOT PERMIT CHILDREN TO DRIVE OR RIDE ADULT ATVS

Children are involved in about one-third of all ATV-related deaths and hospital emergency room injuries. Most of these deaths and injuries occur when a child is driving or riding on an adult ATV. Children under 16 on adult ATVs are twice as likely to be injured as those riding youth ATVs.

Yep. There was a big sticker on the front left fender of my first 4 wheeler saying over 16 in big letters. The beer I drank in high school said over 21. The speed limit in town is 35 but I go 5 over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT