ADVERTISEMENT

Daniels Rushes For 123 Yards

LuteHawk

HB Legend
Nov 30, 2011
This was a good start for the junior in 1st game of the season.
He averaged almost 5 yards per carry. Daniels has the instincts
to follow the gaps which open up. Great to see a true running
back hit 100 yards. This was a career high game for Daniels,
however, he could achieve better things in this season.

Last edited:
Looks great having dropped some weight, and he's running with more determination than last year. Kid has some good potential. He and Canzeri will be a solid 1-2 punch this season.

Any thoughts on Derrick Mitchell? I thought he'd be the 3rd back in the game?...looks like Wadley and Joly were in before him (unless I missed him in the game)?

Any thoughts on Derrick Mitchell? I thought he'd be the 3rd back in the game?...looks like Wadley and Joly were in before him (unless I missed him in the game)?
Mitchell was held out because of a minor injury. He is expected to play next week at Iowa St.

Daniels looked more instinctive than the Juggernaut, although lacking the straight ahead speed and power. He'll have good games where the line does a good job because he seems to execute well while lacking elusiveness. LSD looks kind of like a poor man's Eddie George. Runs straight up and is hard to bring down.

Hearing very good things about him. Looks like our stable of RB's may turn out to be a strength this year -- a nice change from recent seasons.

He looked good. Offense line should only improve making him even better. Good strength and quickness. Not afraid of contact and not afraid to go north/south - we need that...

Daniels and Canzeri were a great combo today, and well used. Looking forward to a good season with the RB.

Daniels needs to be a durable back who can avoid the
injury jinx. If he can carry the ball 18 to 20 times a game,
then the Hawkeyes will be in good shape.

This was a good start for the junior in 1st game of the season.
He averaged almost 5 yards per carry. Daniels has the instincts
to follow the gaps which open up. Great to see a true running
back hit 100 yards. This was a career high game for Daniels,
however, he could achieve better things in this season.
While certainly not the second coming of Maroney/Barber or even Russell/Lewis....Daniels/Canzeri at least looks to be a pretty big upgrade over Weisman/Bullock.

Of course, one game (esp. against FCS) does not a trend make. But still, it should be fun to see how that duo develops the rest of the year.

Daniels needs to be a durable back who can avoid the
injury jinx. If he can carry the ball 18 to 20 times a game,
then the Hawkeyes will be in good shape.
Totally agree, he needs to touch it 20 times a game then bring in Canzeri let him touch it 10-15 times a game. The one thing I liked yesterday was the guards and center looked to get a good push the entire game except a few plays. Now if the tackles come along and become just average we should have a solid line and be able to get 150-175 yards on the ground most games.

It was nice to see Iowa's RBs run behind and follow their blocks instead of slamming right into the back of them.

Yes....posted this in another thread. That was the 'Weisman' method, which led to consistent short gains, but never any big running plays.

Daniels looked REALLY good waiting for his blocks and for holes to develop. We just need the OL to contain that weakside pursuit so the backs waiting for gaps/blocks don't get tackled from behind in the backfield. If you have weak OL play, then a running style like Weisman actually can work better and avoid losses on rushing plays. If the OL can maintain blocks and the weak side pursuit, a back like Shonn Greene can really ring up yards on a defense. Daniels reminded me of Greene yesterday....

He is similar to Weisman in that he always gets positive yards at end of carry, but has significantly more quickness and is more efficient from handoff to LOS as well as possessing a burst to get through holes. He reminds me of Shonn Greene.

Agility is also a big thing that differentiates a real rb from a full back IMO .

Weisman was a good runner for a full back.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT