ADVERTISEMENT

Dasonte Bowen has entered the Transfer Portal (Commits to St. Bonaventure). He was supposed to be "the" PG that Fran finally landed

I've come to believe this wholeheartedly. I don't believe it's a "racism" issue - I'm pretty sure Fran would be happy to play a black PG if he was also a good shooter. It just seems like most of the ones he's recruited have turned out to NOT be good shooters, and they find themselves on the bench. Then they transfer.
Fran has never once had a ex player talk badly about him. Fran has never had the issues Kirk’s staff has had.

Fran has his issues as a coach but I 100 percent don’t think he or his staff has any race issues with players. Current or former.

I've come to believe this wholeheartedly. I don't believe it's a "racism" issue - I'm pretty sure Fran would be happy to play a black PG if he was also a good shooter. It just seems like most of the ones he's recruited have turned out to NOT be good shooters, and they find themselves on the bench. Then they transfer.
The three point shot is an equalizer. Maybe you're not quick enough to defend a fast driving pg who gets two point layups. But if you can stretch the d & hit the three.... well three is better than two. It's simple math... lol. But man it'd be great to have a strong drive, dish & defensive pg once in awhile.

We Suck Lisa Kudrow GIF by The Comeback HBO

The three point shot is an equalizer. Maybe you're not quick enough to defend a fast driving pg who gets two point layups. But if you can stretch the d & hit the three.... well three is better than two. It's simple math... lol. But man it'd be great to have a strong drive, dish & defensive pg once in awhile.

We Suck Lisa Kudrow GIF by The Comeback HBO
That's just it. What you said about shooting is true, especially if you like the "just outscore em" approach, but I believe playing quicker and more athletic guards over "slow shooters" would also help on the defensive end. I feel like more of that is needed against better opponents.

Reactions: kceasthawk
That's just it. What you said about shooting is true, especially if you like the "just outscore em" approach, but I believe playing quicker and more athletic guards over "slow shooters" would also help on the defensive end. I feel like more of that is needed against better opponents.
Agreed. I shouldv'e stated "This is Fran's mathematics & basketball philosophy".

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Fran has never once had a ex player talk badly about him. Fran has never had the issues Kirk’s staff has had.

Fran has his issues as a coach but I 100 percent don’t think he or his staff has any race issues with players. Current or former.
For sure.

Fran is an eccentric character but it all comes down to his love of shooting and his indifference towards the rest of the game.

For sure.

Fran is an eccentric character but it all comes down to his love of shooting and his indifference towards the rest of the game.
Yes.
When it comes to scoring vs everything else, scoring is always the choice for Fran.
This leads to lineups, roster construction and minutes distribution that are head scratchers.

The best 5 scorers at their positions don't necessarily make for the best lineup or primary recipients of total minutes if a team wants to make a run in March.

Well, exactly. The accusation was that they left for race related reasons. I have a hard time arguing any of those black players (or white) deserved more playing time. I just don’t see race being an issue. The only good player that left was Moss, who actually ended up playing less at Kansas.
To me, Moss to KU is still a head scratcher…😎

I'm not sure if Fran expected to lose Ahron Ulis when he brought in last years class.
Clearly, Fran has had continuing problems with his PGs. They all haven't been as bad as many believe. Continuity is an important part of creating a team, when you aren't bringing in 5 star recruits.

Please. All but one of the black players left for more playing time, plain and simple, it’s not a color issue. Moss left to go to Kansas, hard to argue with that. The White guys left because (1) lack of talent (2) Kentucky and (3) his father’s death.

Bowen never showed a worthiness for more playing time, and he got plenty of opportunities. PMac had nothing to do with it, Dix and Harding were better players.

I don’t know the stats. But I’m guessing that Fran has far fewer transfer outs than most coaches.
Where’s Iowalaw to project race into this conversation?

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
wow, I wouldv'e never believed this.
Fran was one of the first guys to go after Bowen. Bowen committed before even seeing what other schools had to offer. Bowen started at the 1 in his sophomore season. But a knee injury put him down. No reason to think those two don't have a strong relationship.

How many players has Fran had. How many does a football coach have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT